Skip to main content

Fishing for a Dream

“He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone for eighty-four days now without taking a fish.”  No, no, it's the Au Sable river in Michigan.  . . . It’s time for enlightened self-interest. Place your financial future front and center in your life. I’m not a person looking for a job. I’m a company, a financial entity providing cash flow to enjoy a healthy lifestyle over the next 50 years. Wake-up!

Your eyes flicker and slowly open. The clock on the dresser says 3:45 a.m. In a semi-consciousness state you stumble out of bed. You make your way down the hall to that little room where the world has absolved you of all obligations to communicate with another human being. Privacy.

Well, now that you're up - let’s enjoy a cup of of hot coffee. One sugar and a little milk please Junior. Who am I talking to? Shaking your head, you realize, no one in their right mind is up this early, go back to bed. Right Junior? The cat is sitting next to the refrigerator watching your every move.

But you don't understand . . . I’m awake! My mind has kicked into high gear. Thoughts exploding in bright white flashes. Information overload. Words. Ideas. Stories. Suggestions. Maybe it’s panic. Or is it just the way I fish? Call it habit, call it quirky, call it idiotic - but call it. Promise I won't call or text you on the phone.

This is my most productive time. Deep down, in some peculiar way, everyone knows their most productive time. That special time of day when your gifts, skills, temperament, and experiences collide to synthesize ideas that've been churning in your brain. Now is the time to put it to paper. Create something from nothing. My dream job. I realize you don't have to look very far to see that writers are a quirky lot . . . “When I come back you can tell me about baseball.” Read Hemingway.

This all surfaced while studying, What Color is Your Parachute? 2014: A Practical Manual for Job Hunters and Career Changers. These past few weeks I've spent countless hours reading, writing, and re-writing - a resume! I've discovered there are no rules, really. How do you entice a hiring manager to get you in the door?

It’s like fly fishing. Find the feeding lane and place the fly delicately upstream to entice the fish. Are you kidding me? All this work just to create a resume? What’s the point? The point, I’m repeatedly told in seminars, webinars, and all the books is this. You need the right combination of flies, key words, that summarizes your skills and accomplishments.

Ok, I get it. But get this, statistics show “The average time an employer spends reading a resume is about eight seconds.” Yes, you heard correctly - eight seconds.

Ultimately it all comes back to fishing for your dream job. Let’s assume for just 60 seconds, all the tumblers in the universe align. You can picture in your minds eye the job in which you would best shine. Why, because it taps into the best of who you are. The place where your gifts, skills, temperament, and experiences collide. Good luck!

Oh, bye the way, do you know anyone hiring for 5:00 am? If you hear of anything, please let me know. Like The Old Man and the Sea, it’s obvious I need to get back to my fishing expedition. My quest for a fulling life, not just a job. Or maybe, I just need to take a nap and dream.

Updated January 7, 2019

Comments

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

The Rhythm of the Woodpecker

The morning in Vista often begins under a heavy, gray marine layer that rolls in from the coast, pressing a damp, muffled stillness over the neighborhood. At 4:30 a.m., the driveways are still full. The local commuters are either blissfully unconscious or stumbling blindly toward their showers, clinging desperately to their last shred of peace before the nine-to-five grind claims them for the day. I, on the other hand, am voluntarily wide awake in the dark. When your agenda consists of absolutely nothing, it is critical to get an early start. Inside the house, the quiet is profound, broken only by the sharp, mechanical click of the kettle as it reaches a rolling boil. I stand at the counter, watching the dark ground coffee bloom as hot water hits the French press's stainless steel. The smell is sudden and heavy—a deep, roasted-earth aroma that cuts through the morning fog. I push against the plunger’s gritty resistance, pouring a cup that radiates dark, stinging heat against my pal...

How to Horrify a Professional Skeptic

Today’s " Professional Skeptic"  knows exactly how retirement is supposed to unfold: you lose your job, your identity, and your purpose. Within months, you're complaining about restaurant portions and detailing your blood pressure to strangers in line at the post office. For a generation distrustful of leaders, convinced the future is a rigged game, a peaceful retirement is an outdated myth. The working world expects you to stay “on the hook.” Former bosses are quick to ask, “Can we call you? What are your consulting fees?” So, just for fun, picture a deeply suspicious, invisible observer lurking in my kitchen. Let's call him Captain Content. The Captain doesn't wear a top hat or wring bony fingers. Instead, imagine a younger guy glued to his smartphone, heavily caffeinated, and entirely convinced the system is broken. He live-streams my morning routine to his echo chamber while on a conference call with 48 attendees on his second phone, waiting for the inevitabl...