Skip to main content

Thanksgiving Joys



As a golden dawn breaks against a deep blue night sky a picturesque crescent Moon hovers just above the horizon . . .  “tis the season” of Thanksgiving. The maple trees are in full fall regalia. Many have deposited their leaves. This year we have a lot to be thankful for. We have our health, our family, and yes, that includes Missy and Junior – the tabbies.

. . . Its 4:00 am, can’t sleep, too many details including dinner to be prepared. This year - like many before - Lori and I are hosting Thanksgiving dinner for friends and family. Lori is the chef and my self-appointed post is to prepare the house for guests. 

This is no small endeavor, the preparations really began about three weekends ago, once the commitment was made. That’s when the repairs really began. A house becomes a home when the family accepts the reality there are always little things that demand repair. At our house these repairs are always neglected until guests are expected.

Handyman - I’m not - for example, the guest bathroom desperately needed a new faucet this year. Sounds simple enough, we have a Home Depot about two-blocks away - you’ve heard the slogan - More Savings. More Doing. Savings maybe, it’s the doing part that befuddles me it seems. What should take about an hour at most, takes me three. You never have the proper tool, the project always presents a multitude of unforeseen challenges, and crawling around in tight cramped quarters is very painful. However, once the job was satisfactorily completed - for me - there is an immense amount of pride.

So, the mother-in-law arrives, after two days of using the new bathroom faucet I had to ask, “Do you like the new faucet?” “I never noticed it,” she replies, with a bewildered look! To save face she immediately begins to grumble about the pitfalls of the old one, that is completely gone. Now, you must understand, there are times she stays with us for weeks at a time, oh well, so much for worrying about the details.

Then, there are the blinds on the picture window - oh brother . . . Yes, this Thanksgiving, just days before, we learned Lori’s brother and his wife would join us for the weekend. Knowing they would sleep on the sofa required cleaning the area behind, around, and above, (including the windows) this section of the house - another major project. Yes, for the handy-man about a four hour job.

Well, it turns out the cats like to chew the draw stings that provides the only way to raise and lower the window blinds. So, I’ll solve the problem before it becomes one. You see, at night its completely dark in the back of the house. Our back yard abuts to a ecological study zone that no-one ever enters. The solution, just trim the draw strings, burn the ends (so they don’t fray), clean everything, and adjust the blinds on the window, revealing sweeping views of the backyard.

We examined the completed project with arms crossed, thrilled with the results, perfection! Completely convinced there would be absolutely no reason to lower the blinds (resulting in the draw strings completely lost in the box and unraveling from the pulleys). We moved on to the next project, the kitchen . . . 

Of course, you guessed it - the next morning - the blinds were lowered and the draw strings completely unwound. “The draw strings simply disappeared?” says the sister-in-law.

So, if you’ll excuse me, it looks like another trip to Home Depot and the probability of another three hour repair job.

Yes, the unexpected joy of family and the holidays - enjoy yours!

Comments

Most Popular of All Time

Sunflowers, French Steel, and the Yellow Jersey

Watching Le Tour de France this year, I found myself transported back to August 1983 as the Peloton in Stage 10, Bastille Day, flowed through the French countryside like a brightly colored ribbon. I was in my twenties, visiting family in the Charente-Maritime region of France, completely obsessed with bicycle racing—and convinced I was much stronger than I was. My connection to cycling—and to France—runs deep. I was born in France, and my very first real road bike, at age fifteen, was a Mercier . To me, it wasn’t just a bicycle; it was a work of art made from beautiful French steel. I rode that bike for miles, through high school, into college, and until the day someone decided they needed it more than I did. I hope they at least appreciated the craftsmanship. Its untimely disappearance led me to a Schwinn Voyageur, and later, when I started racing around Illinois, to a Raleigh Competition . But during that summer of ’83, while staying with my Uncle Jean Paul in Lagord, just north of L...

The Big Rip and the First Tee

The telescope (Celestron) sits quietly under its cover, temporarily blinded by Southern California's annual meteorological hostage situation – June Gloom. Somewhere above that thick gray ceiling, photons that began their journey before humans appeared are streaming across the cosmos, only to be intercepted by a marine layer that seems to have veto power over astronomy. Instead of observing the universe, I find myself imagining – The End of Everything (Astrophysically Speaking) by physicist Katie Mack. According to modern cosmology, the universe may eventually end in a Big Rip, a Big Crunch, Heat Death, Vacuum Decay, or some other catastrophe that sounds suspiciously like a rejected heavy-metal album title. Astrophysicists spend their careers calmly discussing the possibility that reality itself could suddenly cease to exist because a quantum field had a bad day. It's a remarkable way to start a Saturday morning. One moment you're contemplating the ultimate fate of spacetime...

Rediscovering the Magic of Summer . . .

Summer mornings, especially on a holiday weekend, have a special magic. The air is cool, the world quiet, and the day full of possibilities. This July 4th weekend, Lori and I decided to capture a bit of that magic by beating the holiday traffic with an early morning bicycle ride. We went through our usual pre-flight checklist: Stretched out the morning stiffness. Filled the water bottles. Strapped on the helmets. Checked the tires. Three tires passed inspection. The fourth had apparently declared independence. The rear tire on my e-bike was flatter than a Kansas highway. “Well, it looks like we’re not riding today,” Lori said, with the calm acceptance of someone who had already mentally promoted coffee to the day’s main event. “Why not?” I replied. “I’ll ride my old bike.” She gave me that look —the one that safely translates as, "Are you sure about this? " “Absolutely,” I said. “Why not?” I dragged the bike stand out and surveyed my options. One glance at the aggressive gear...

The Yellow Legal Pad

In this episode, the Art of Refiring July 1st is staring me in the face, less than two weeks away. For years, retirement seemed like something that happened to other people. Suddenly, it's on my calendar. I've been thinking a lot about the dreaded "R-word" lately. Not because I'm worried about having enough to do. Quite the opposite. What fascinates me is this strange paradox: Why does retirement make so many of us nervous, while having a job—even one that regularly drives us crazy—somehow feels comforting? Let's be honest. Most of us spend years complaining about meetings that should have been emails, reply-all disasters, impossible deadlines, and that one coworker who insists on microwaving leftover fish in the breakroom. Yet when the idea of walking away finally arrives, we hesitate. I think I've figured out why. A career isn't just a job. It's a highly structured coping mechanism. For forty-plus years, somebody else has basically decided what I...