Skip to main content

Resurrecting the '90s Graphite

Let’s face it, there’s a certain danger in reading John Gierach's Trout Bum. His wit, self-deprecation, and sharp, effortless satire are entirely infectious. If you aren't careful, his words will inspire you to drop everything, wade into a freezing river, and try to outsmart a creature with a brain the size of a lentil.

In my case, re-reading Gierach recently didn't send me straight to the river. It sent me digging through the dusty, spider-guarded corners of my garage.

In the early 1990s, seeking a natural escape from Manhattan's concrete canyons, I decided to learn to cast a fly rod. I bought an Orvis Rocky Mountain—eight-and-a-half feet, three ounces, built for a five-weight line—and had absolutely no idea how to use it.

To avoid aimlessly whipping the water like scrambling eggs, I took fly-fishing lessons from Al Cucci, co-author of Hatches, on the Delaware River. With his guidance, I fished renowned waters: the AuSable in New York and Michigan, and New Jersey's Raritan River. The rod and I became a skilled pair, gradually improving on the water.

Life, as it often does, eventually changed the menu. Moving back to Southern California presented a harsh reality: trout water is a long drive from San Diego. Without lush rivers nearby, my beautiful Orvis rod went into its aluminum tube and hibernated next to boxes of Christmas decorations for more than twenty-five years.

Until yesterday.

Since retiring, my schedule has become as open and clear as a sky after rain. I realized it was time to dust things off, but I also suspected that the fly line, which had been on my reel for over twenty-five years, was probably dried out and brittle. So, I decided to visit the local fly shop.

Walking into a modern fly shop after a twenty-five-year hiatus is a bit like stepping into a frantic, Michelin-starred kitchen when you’re only used to baking rustic bread. The shop guide cheerfully handed me a modern $1,200 Orvis carbon-fiber rod to swing.

The culture shock was immediate. Modern carbon fiber is built for instant results—like tossing ingredients into a blistering-hot wok. Everything happens incredibly fast. By comparison, my “vintage” 1990s rod is a slow-simmering sauce (relaxing). You don’t rush it; you wait for the rod's deep bend to load, letting the material do the work. If you try to force it, the whole presentation collapses into a tangled mess.

Holding that carbon-fiber wand, the reality check hit me: we are conditioned to believe catching a fish requires space-age tech. The truth? Older tools aren't obsolete. They just need the right translation to speak the modern language.

Modern fly lines are substantially heavier than they used to be to load those ultra-stiff modern rods. If I put a modern 5-weight line on my 1990s 5-weight rod, I would overload it with mass. It would feel sluggish and uncooperative.

My guide offered brilliant advice. He recommended the Scientific Anglers MPX line. But here is the trick: instead of a 5-weight line, he recommended the WF-4-F (Weight Forward, 4-weight, Floating). Because the MPX is built half a size heavier, stepping down to a 4-weight essentially gave me a 4.5-weight line.

It seems like a perfect recipe—and time will tell—but the logic is sound. It matches the vintage graphite’s softer, deeper action, letting the rod load well without buckling. Changing one ingredient modernized my setup.

If you have an older rod gathering dust, pull it out. Don't let anyone convince you it belongs in a museum or a yard-sale bin. Clean the cork, check the ferrules, and take it to a reputable fly shop. Ask them to help you "downline" it with a modern, half-heavy taper.

With a bit of fresh backing, a perfectly matched line, and a smooth, unhurried casting stroke, you'll find these classic rods still have plenty of life—and plenty of trout—left in them.

Gierach would certainly approve.

I’m Patrick Ball. This is On the Fly. Stay curious and ask better questions. See you next time.

Comments

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

Doc Welch - The Country Doctor

In this episode, Doc Welch . . . Many authors have characterized life in rural Illinois over the years. Among the more notables are Edgar Lee Masters, who wrote Spoon River Anthology, Carl Sandburg for his poetry and biography of Abraham Lincoln, and little known to me until recently, my first doctor, whom everyone in town always called Doc Welch - James K. Welch, M.D.  (Feb. 7, 1915, to May 5, 1998) While exploring the microfilm of the Cuba Journal (published from 1884 to 1992), I consistently kept running across articles entitled The Country Doctor. This intrigued me. Doc Welch was a third-generation practicing Country Doctor in Cuba for over 40 years. His father, James William Welch, M.D., practiced medicine in Cuba for more than five decades. His grandfather, James Knox Welch, M.D., settled in Cuba after the Civil War. Cuba, Illinois, is a small, rural farming community in west-central Illinois, where I grew up. Like many small towns, it boasts a central square with a ban...

Vintage Vinyl

In this episode - Vintage Vinyl . . . Turntables are making a big comeback; why? Listening to music should be a multi-sensory experience. Harmony, rhythm, and the deep expression of emotion. Like a warm, gentle rain in the springtime cascading around you the room is filled with a resonant, rich, melodic sound. My emotions welled up, and tears come to my eyes. Ok, I get it, we need to step back to get some perspective here. Recently a visit to Lou's Records in Encinitas, California, inspired me to dig out my Vintage vinyl LP record collection. I selected the Carpenters Singles 1969- 1973 . This musical duo reigned from 1969-to 1982 with the rich, full melodic voice of Karen Carpenter. They were one of the biggest-selling groups of the 1970s. "No fewer than ten of their singles went on to become million-sellers, and by 2005 combined worldwide sales of albums and singles well exceeded 100 million units." The tactile sensory experience of music begins with the album cover it...