Skip to main content

A B+ Kind of Life

Welcome back to this week's On the Fly.

Retirement has taught me something unexpected: life gets a lot more enjoyable when you stop chasing perfection.

Lately, I've been having an absolute blast playing executive par-3 courses like Rancho Carlsbad. A short iron, a sunny morning, and nowhere to be except the next tee—that's my kind of day.

This Thursday, though, I'm raising the stakes. I'm heading to The Links at Lakehouse in San Marcos, a full-size par-71 course with enough water hazards to keep the local fish well-stocked with my golf balls.

After shooting a 64 on a par-3 course, I've set myself a new goal: shoot an 89 before my birthday next August.

Why 89? Because on a par-71 course, that's bogey golf—one extra stroke per hole.

For non-golfers, think of it this way: par is like earning 100% on a final exam. Bogey golf is a solid B+. You got the job done, learned something, and probably had a lot more fun getting there.

The older I get, the more I appreciate B+ goals. It took me until retirement to figure this out, but it's a lesson you can apply right now. When you're not chasing perfection, a bad shot becomes part of the adventure rather than a reason to get frustrated. You laugh, drop another ball if necessary, and keep going. After all, it's called playing golf for a reason.

Maybe life works the same way.

Instead of trying to do everything perfectly, maybe we should focus on doing things joyfully. Try something new. Accept a few mistakes. Celebrate progress instead of perfection. Leave a little room for laughter when things don't go exactly as planned.

That's my plan this week. Since I haven't played a regulation course in years, I'm not charging out to play all 18 holes. I'm starting with nine. No pressure. Just enough to enjoy the challenge, shake off the rust, and remember what made me love the game in the first place.

Sometimes the smartest way to reach a big goal is to begin with a smaller one.

I'll let you know next week how it went—and exactly how many golf balls decided they preferred living at the bottom of the Lakehouse.

I'm Patrick Ball. Stay curious, ask better questions. See you on the course.

Comments

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

The Rhythm of the Woodpecker

The morning in Vista often begins under a heavy, gray marine layer that rolls in from the coast, pressing a damp, muffled stillness over the neighborhood. At 4:30 a.m., the driveways are still full. The local commuters are either blissfully unconscious or stumbling blindly toward their showers, clinging desperately to their last shred of peace before the nine-to-five grind claims them for the day. I, on the other hand, am voluntarily wide awake in the dark. When your agenda consists of absolutely nothing, it is critical to get an early start. Inside the house, the quiet is profound, broken only by the sharp, mechanical click of the kettle as it reaches a rolling boil. I stand at the counter, watching the dark ground coffee bloom as hot water hits the French press's stainless steel. The smell is sudden and heavy—a deep, roasted-earth aroma that cuts through the morning fog. I push against the plunger’s gritty resistance, pouring a cup that radiates dark, stinging heat against my pal...

How to Horrify a Professional Skeptic

Today’s " Professional Skeptic"  knows exactly how retirement is supposed to unfold: you lose your job, your identity, and your purpose. Within months, you're complaining about restaurant portions and detailing your blood pressure to strangers in line at the post office. For a generation distrustful of leaders, convinced the future is a rigged game, a peaceful retirement is an outdated myth. The working world expects you to stay “on the hook.” Former bosses are quick to ask, “Can we call you? What are your consulting fees?” So, just for fun, picture a deeply suspicious, invisible observer lurking in my kitchen. Let's call him Captain Content. The Captain doesn't wear a top hat or wring bony fingers. Instead, imagine a younger guy glued to his smartphone, heavily caffeinated, and entirely convinced the system is broken. He live-streams my morning routine to his echo chamber while on a conference call with 48 attendees on his second phone, waiting for the inevitabl...