Skip to main content

Rediscovering the Magic of Summer . . .

Summer mornings, especially on a holiday weekend, have a special magic. The air is cool, the world quiet, and the day full of possibilities.

This July 4th weekend, Lori and I decided to capture a bit of that magic by beating the holiday traffic with an early morning bicycle ride.

We went through our usual pre-flight checklist:

  • Stretched out the morning stiffness.

  • Filled the water bottles.

  • Strapped on the helmets.

  • Checked the tires.

Three tires passed inspection. The fourth had apparently declared independence. The rear tire on my e-bike was flatter than a Kansas highway.

“Well, it looks like we’re not riding today,” Lori said, with the calm acceptance of someone who had already mentally promoted coffee to the day’s main event.

“Why not?” I replied. “I’ll ride my old bike.”

She gave me that look—the one that safely translates as, "Are you sure about this?"

“Absolutely,” I said. “Why not?”

I dragged the bike stand out and surveyed my options. One glance at the aggressive gearing on my vintage LeMond road bike convinced me that reliving my glory days could wait another weekend.

Instead, I hoisted my faithful 10-year-old blue Giant comfort bike onto the bike stand.

It needed a little attention. I gave the wheels a thorough de-spidering, checked the gears, applied a generous dose of chain lube, inflated the tires, and quietly apologized for neglecting it over the past few years.

Soon we were rolling, and the difference was immediate. Without the battery and motor, the Giant felt light, nimble, and incredibly responsive. I accelerated effortlessly, and the bike danced beneath me.

For nearly three glorious minutes, I was convinced I’d somehow been overlooked by Le Tour de France.

Then the road tilted upward by what civil engineers would probably classify as “barely noticeable.”

Out of pure habit, my thumb instinctively reached for the power-assist button.

There wasn’t one. Right!

This bike expected me to provide all the horsepower.

As I fumbled for lower gears and tried to convince my lungs this was all part of the plan, Lori quietly glided past me on her e-bike. She didn’t simply pass me. She floated by with a serene smile and a slow-motion wave that looked remarkably like Queen Elizabeth greeting her loyal subjects from the royal carriage.

It was elegant.

It was gracious.

It was just a tiny bit smug.

At that moment, I reached a scientific conclusion that no peer-reviewed journal has endorsed: An e-bike doesn’t make you a distance cyclist. It makes you a very enthusiastic passenger who occasionally contributes.

Or, to put it another way, I’d somehow confused “being in shape” with “owning expensive cycling equipment.”

Once I got over the initial shock of having to generate my own forward motion, something wonderful happened.

It all came back.

Clipped into my Shimano pedals, I felt my muscle memory reawaken and my cadence return. The smooth power transfer made sense again. We soon were flying, with the wind rushing past, tires humming, and the rhythm effortless. For the first time in a while, I wasn’t focused on speed, battery, or assistance.

I was simply riding. I felt like a kid again.

As the miles rolled by, my thoughts drifted to the LeMond bike in the garage. I’d received it for my 50th birthday, the gift that started my tradition of riding my age in miles every year.

Now, as I approach 70 this coming August, I realize that one birthday present became the foundation for more than two decades of staying active, healthy, and connected to something I genuinely love.

During that ride, reflecting that this holiday weekend also marked my very first official weekend of retirement, I decided this milestone deserved a proper celebration.

What better way to celebrate good health, this incredible new chapter of life, and the simple joy of riding than with a new bicycle? One with a wide gear range, serving as my official training vessel for that upcoming 70-mile birthday ride.

So naturally, we stopped by the Trek store just to fix one flat tire. This is roughly equivalent to stopping at Costco for toothpaste.

We walked out with a brand-new carbon fiber Trek.

It is absolutely gorgeous. Crimson red. Ridiculously light. It’s the kind of bicycle that practically whispers, “Let’s go see what’s around the next bend.”

I’ve owned it for exactly five days, and I’ve already logged about 35 miles. We’re just getting started.

Am I sore? Absolutely.

My quads have filed a formal complaint.

My shoulders have retained legal counsel.

Every muscle below my eyebrows would like a meeting with management. (Thank goodness for Tylenol).

But underneath all that soreness is something even better. The feeling of complete freedom has returned. It takes me all the way back to my first Mercier bicycle when I was fifteen years old and cared about nothing more than seeing how fast I could make it go.

It turns out the magic of summer wasn’t hiding in the e-bike, the carbon fiber frame, or even that irresistible new-bike smell. It was waiting on the other side of that first little hill—the one where my thumb searched for a button that wasn’t there, and my legs suddenly remembered they had a job to do.

Here’s to summer mornings.

Here’s to old bikes and new bikes.

Here’s to sore quads.

And here’s to the sweet, satisfying joy of earning every mile the old-fashioned way.

I’m Patrick Ball. Stay curious and ask better questions. See you on the road.

Comments

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

Doc Welch - The Country Doctor

In this episode, Doc Welch . . . Many authors have characterized life in rural Illinois over the years. Among the more notables are Edgar Lee Masters, who wrote Spoon River Anthology, Carl Sandburg for his poetry and biography of Abraham Lincoln, and little known to me until recently, my first doctor, whom everyone in town always called Doc Welch - James K. Welch, M.D.  (Feb. 7, 1915, to May 5, 1998) While exploring the microfilm of the Cuba Journal (published from 1884 to 1992), I consistently kept running across articles entitled The Country Doctor. This intrigued me. Doc Welch was a third-generation practicing Country Doctor in Cuba for over 40 years. His father, James William Welch, M.D., practiced medicine in Cuba for more than five decades. His grandfather, James Knox Welch, M.D., settled in Cuba after the Civil War. Cuba, Illinois, is a small, rural farming community in west-central Illinois, where I grew up. Like many small towns, it boasts a central square with a ban...

Vintage Vinyl

In this episode - Vintage Vinyl . . . Turntables are making a big comeback; why? Listening to music should be a multi-sensory experience. Harmony, rhythm, and the deep expression of emotion. Like a warm, gentle rain in the springtime cascading around you the room is filled with a resonant, rich, melodic sound. My emotions welled up, and tears come to my eyes. Ok, I get it, we need to step back to get some perspective here. Recently a visit to Lou's Records in Encinitas, California, inspired me to dig out my Vintage vinyl LP record collection. I selected the Carpenters Singles 1969- 1973 . This musical duo reigned from 1969-to 1982 with the rich, full melodic voice of Karen Carpenter. They were one of the biggest-selling groups of the 1970s. "No fewer than ten of their singles went on to become million-sellers, and by 2005 combined worldwide sales of albums and singles well exceeded 100 million units." The tactile sensory experience of music begins with the album cover it...