Skip to main content

Morning Coffee–Update

In this episode, Morning Coffee–Update . . .

Now, I’m not saying coffee is a biological necessity. I hear there are people who wake up naturally, fueled entirely by optimism, morning yoga, and the sheer thrill of being alive.

I’ve never actually met one, but I assume they exist. As for me, at 4:30 a.m., my brain (with a caffeine boost) is a finely tuned analytical engine, ready to tackle the day.

But, dear readers, I come before you today as a humbled man. I owe you an apology. Not one of those carefully worded "I'm sorry if anyone was offended" apologies. A real one.

For years, I stood on my digital soapbox, defending the utilitarian brew button on my electric drip coffee maker. I praised convenience. I extolled efficiency. I dispensed coffee advice with confidence, despite knowing only slightly more about brewing than the average vending machine. I wasn't merely mistaken—I was enthusiastically, publicly mistaken.

The revelation came last week. I was in Tucson, enjoying the boundless hospitality of Robert and Orasa, when my entire morning worldview was shattered by a porcelain carafe and a metal plunger: the French Press.

Friends, I have seen the light. And, like most recent converts, I'm now absolutely insufferable about it.

It turns out my trusty electric drip machine wasn't entirely to blame. The real accomplice was that innocent-looking paper filter. Let’s examine the chemistry. A little research shows that paper filters trap much of the natural coffee oils that give a cup its rich, smooth body and aroma. Instead, I faithfully filtered out much of the coffee's personality every morning and congratulated myself on my efficiency.

The stainless-steel mesh of a French press, however, lets those glorious oils flow directly into the mug where they belong. Better yet, the grounds are fully immersed in the water rather than receiving a quick shower on their way to the pot. Every particle has an equal chance of releasing its flavor, producing a cup that's fuller, smoother, and more complex.

The drip machine faithfully does what it was designed to do. The French press simply asks me to be part of the process. I heat the water myself, let it settle to that sweet spot around 200 degrees, pour it over coarse grounds, give everything a gentle stir, and then wait while the coffee blooms and steeps.

There's something wonderfully satisfying about the ritual. The aroma begins almost immediately. The bloom rises like fresh bread in the oven. Even pressing the plunger feels oddly ceremonial, as if you're participating in an ancient rite rather than just making breakfast.

Looking back, reading John Gierach's "Ode to Campfire Coffee" in Trout Bum used to make me feel justified in my primitive ways.

Remember my old High Sierra routine: huddled over a Whisperlite stove at 10,000 feet. As we now know, atmospheric pressure means water boils at a pitiful 194 degrees up there—physically incapable of a proper hot extraction! And what was I brewing with that tepid lake water? Instant. Lightweight, packable, and only vaguely reminiscent of an actual beverage.

If my camping coffee was a crime of necessity, my home routine was a crime of convenience. Back in civilization, the 4:30 a.m. witching hour looks entirely different. I used to toss five teaspoons of a basic blend into a paper filter, push a button, and proudly hand my long-suffering wife, Lori, a thin, overly acidic mug as though I'd done her some great kindness.

Looking back, the miracle isn't that I found the French press. It's that Lori put up with my coffee over all those years.

Now I'm measuring coarse-ground beans, watching the thermometer, gently stirring the bloom, and standing there for four whole minutes as if I'm conducting a tiny morning science experiment.

Yes, it takes a few extra minutes. A drip machine with a gold mesh filter can make an excellent cup of coffee, and I won't pretend otherwise. But the French press turns the whole process into something more than simply producing caffeine. Somehow, pressing that plunger each morning reminds me that not everything worthwhile should be rushed. The coffee is better, but so is the person drinking it.

I used to think coffee was an acquired taste, somewhere between tequila and cilantro. Turns out, I simply hadn't been brewing it correctly.

John Gierach had it figured out all along. Morning coffee isn't just caffeine delivery; it's a ritual. It's a chance to slow down before the day begins. Sometimes the slightly more deliberate way isn't an inconvenience at all. Sometimes it's the point. As Mahatma Gandhi famously observed, "There is more to life than simply increasing its speed."

To everyone who read my previous defense of the humble drip machine: thank you for your patience. I did the best I could with the knowledge I had. Unfortunately, that knowledge wasn't very good.

Now—if you'll excuse me, my timer just hit four minutes. My French press is waiting, and after forty years of coffee ignorance, I've learned not to keep it waiting.

I'm Patrick Ball, reminding you to stay curious and ask questions. See you in the next episode.

Comments

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

Doc Welch - The Country Doctor

In this episode, Doc Welch . . . Many authors have characterized life in rural Illinois over the years. Among the more notables are Edgar Lee Masters, who wrote Spoon River Anthology, Carl Sandburg for his poetry and biography of Abraham Lincoln, and little known to me until recently, my first doctor, whom everyone in town always called Doc Welch - James K. Welch, M.D.  (Feb. 7, 1915, to May 5, 1998) While exploring the microfilm of the Cuba Journal (published from 1884 to 1992), I consistently kept running across articles entitled The Country Doctor. This intrigued me. Doc Welch was a third-generation practicing Country Doctor in Cuba for over 40 years. His father, James William Welch, M.D., practiced medicine in Cuba for more than five decades. His grandfather, James Knox Welch, M.D., settled in Cuba after the Civil War. Cuba, Illinois, is a small, rural farming community in west-central Illinois, where I grew up. Like many small towns, it boasts a central square with a ban...

Vintage Vinyl

In this episode - Vintage Vinyl . . . Turntables are making a big comeback; why? Listening to music should be a multi-sensory experience. Harmony, rhythm, and the deep expression of emotion. Like a warm, gentle rain in the springtime cascading around you the room is filled with a resonant, rich, melodic sound. My emotions welled up, and tears come to my eyes. Ok, I get it, we need to step back to get some perspective here. Recently a visit to Lou's Records in Encinitas, California, inspired me to dig out my Vintage vinyl LP record collection. I selected the Carpenters Singles 1969- 1973 . This musical duo reigned from 1969-to 1982 with the rich, full melodic voice of Karen Carpenter. They were one of the biggest-selling groups of the 1970s. "No fewer than ten of their singles went on to become million-sellers, and by 2005 combined worldwide sales of albums and singles well exceeded 100 million units." The tactile sensory experience of music begins with the album cover it...