Skip to main content

Sunflowers, French Steel, and the Yellow Jersey

Watching Le Tour de France this year, I found myself transported back to August 1983 as the Peloton in Stage 10, Bastille Day, flowed through the French countryside like a brightly colored ribbon.

I was in my twenties, visiting family in the Charente-Maritime region of France, completely obsessed with bicycle racing—and convinced I was much stronger than I was.

My connection to cycling—and to France—runs deep. I was born in France, and my very first real road bike, at age fifteen, was a Mercier. To me, it wasn’t just a bicycle; it was a work of art made from beautiful French steel. I rode that bike for miles, through high school, into college, and until the day someone decided they needed it more than I did. I hope they at least appreciated the craftsmanship.

Its untimely disappearance led me to a Schwinn Voyageur, and later, when I started racing around Illinois, to a Raleigh Competition. But during that summer of ’83, while staying with my Uncle Jean Paul in Lagord, just north of La Rochelle, I was reunited with French steel. He generously loaned me his Motobécane for the month.

Not a bad way to spend August.

Every morning I’d head out early, clip into the Motobécane, and point it inland.

This was long before GPS, bike computers, heart-rate monitors, power meters, and apps that tell you when you’re underperforming. My training program consisted of pedaling hard and trying not to get lost.

The roads wound through villages like Puilboreau and Saint-Xandre, bordered by enormous fields of brilliant yellow tournesols—sunflowers—that seemed to stretch forever. If you’ve never ridden through the French countryside in late summer, put it on your list. It’s hard to have a bad ride when you’re surrounded by fields that seem to be smiling at you.

I was training to stay fit for the Illinois racing season, waiting back home. I had no idea how many watts I was producing. I only knew that my legs hurt, which seemed like a pretty reliable training metric.

The real challenge, however, wasn’t the riding.

It was lunch.

August in France means vacations, extended family, neighbors dropping by, leisurely meals that somehow last half the afternoon, and enough bread and cheese to derail any athlete’s nutrition plan.

Without fail, someone would grin and announce:

“Alors… on voit que Patrick s'entraîne pour le prochain Tour de France !” (“So… we see Patrick is training for the next Tour de France!”)

Everyone laughed.

Truth be told, I wasn't the only Patrick making waves in France that summer. The 1983 Tour had just been upended by a 22-year-old rookie named Laurent Fignon, with wire-rimmed glasses and a blond ponytail. I found myself fiercely rooting for him—partly for his fearless riding, but mostly because his full name was Laurent Patrick Fignon.

If a Patrick could win the greatest race on earth, I figured I should at least do my part on the Motobécane.

Then came the question.

“How far did you ride today?”

I’d answer, “About fifteen miles.”

Silence . . .

In America, that sounded respectable. Around a French lunch table? Miles might as well have been measured in bananas.

So I’d frantically start doing mental arithmetic.

“Uh… about twenty-four kilometers.”

That usually earned a few approving nods. Apparently, kilometers sounded much more impressive.

I decided to embrace the joke. If everyone insisted I was training for the Tour, I figured I needed the proper wardrobe. So I wandered into a bicycle shop in La Rochelle, determined to buy the iconic Maillot Jaune—the Yellow Jersey.

That’s when I learned a lesson in French cycling culture. The shop owner looked at me with the expression usually reserved for someone asking whether they could buy an Olympic gold medal.

Non.

The Yellow Jersey wasn’t a souvenir. You earned it.

The Maillot Jaune has symbolized the leader of the Tour de France since 1919, when race organizers chose yellow because it matched the color of the newspaper, L’Auto, that created and sponsored the race. More than a century later, it’s still the most recognizable jersey in cycling—and in France, it carries a certain reverence.

No amount of francs would allow me to buy one. Properly humbled, I bought a simple red-and-white jersey instead. No sponsors. No logos. No borrowed glory.

Probably for the best.

When it came time to leave France, Uncle Jean Paul handed me something far more meaningful than anything I could have bought.

A simple plastic Contrex water bottle.

It had been tossed by a Tour de France rider as the peloton thundered through the region, scooped up by my uncle, and saved. To anyone else, it was an old water bottle. To me, it was a tiny piece of cycling history.

Holding that bottle made me feel, in the smallest way, connected to a race that has captivated fans since 1903, one that crosses impossible mountain passes and creates legends whose names are woven into the sport.

These days, the sting of losing my Mercier has finally faded.

The Motobécane belongs to memory, but my Raleigh Competition still hangs in my garage, exactly where it’s been since about 1998.

Every time I see it hanging in the rafters, I tell myself, “Maybe–this is the year.” Then I glance at those old racing gears and remember they were designed by people who apparently believed hills were character-building exercises. My carbon-fiber Trek, with its modern gearing, is considerably more forgiving—and so, frankly, are my knees.

But hanging there with the Raleigh is that old Contrex water bottle.

It’s still one of my most treasured possessions, not because it’s valuable, but because every time I see it, I’m reminded of sunrise rides through endless sunflower fields, the unmistakable feel of French steel beneath me, family laughter around a crowded lunch table, and one unforgettable summer spent chasing the Tour—even if the Tour never knew I was chasing it.

I’m Patrick Ball. Stay curious, ask better questions. See you next time.

Comments

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

The Rhythm of the Woodpecker

The morning in Vista often begins under a heavy, gray marine layer that rolls in from the coast, pressing a damp, muffled stillness over the neighborhood. At 4:30 a.m., the driveways are still full. The local commuters are either blissfully unconscious or stumbling blindly toward their showers, clinging desperately to their last shred of peace before the nine-to-five grind claims them for the day. I, on the other hand, am voluntarily wide awake in the dark. When your agenda consists of absolutely nothing, it is critical to get an early start. Inside the house, the quiet is profound, broken only by the sharp, mechanical click of the kettle as it reaches a rolling boil. I stand at the counter, watching the dark ground coffee bloom as hot water hits the French press's stainless steel. The smell is sudden and heavy—a deep, roasted-earth aroma that cuts through the morning fog. I push against the plunger’s gritty resistance, pouring a cup that radiates dark, stinging heat against my pal...

How to Horrify a Professional Skeptic

Today’s " Professional Skeptic"  knows exactly how retirement is supposed to unfold: you lose your job, your identity, and your purpose. Within months, you're complaining about restaurant portions and detailing your blood pressure to strangers in line at the post office. For a generation distrustful of leaders, convinced the future is a rigged game, a peaceful retirement is an outdated myth. The working world expects you to stay “on the hook.” Former bosses are quick to ask, “Can we call you? What are your consulting fees?” So, just for fun, picture a deeply suspicious, invisible observer lurking in my kitchen. Let's call him Captain Content. The Captain doesn't wear a top hat or wring bony fingers. Instead, imagine a younger guy glued to his smartphone, heavily caffeinated, and entirely convinced the system is broken. He live-streams my morning routine to his echo chamber while on a conference call with 48 attendees on his second phone, waiting for the inevitabl...