Skip to main content

What an E-Bike Can't Do

In this episode, a return to the struggle.

There comes a point in life when many people decide they've earned a machine to do the hard work for them. Some celebrate retirement with a bright red Corvette—the old ads called it "The American Dream Machine." Others opt for a Harley-Davidson, because apparently retirement isn't official until you've purchased enough chrome to be visible from space.

Me? I bought a bicycle. Not an e-bike. Not one with enough battery power to serve as its own charging station. Just a bicycle.

People have asked me why.

Bicycles have always kept me young. The exercise is good for the body, and the quiet is good for the mind. Unlike a sports car, nobody expects you to explain why a retired guy suddenly needs to go from zero to sixty in four seconds.

Before the e-bike crowd starts sharpening their keyboards, let me confess something: there were several moments on today's ride when I would've gladly accepted a small electric motor—maybe even a medium-sized one.

You see, that hill had other plans.

On Saturday, I picked up my new Crimson Red Trek ultralight—my official retirement gift to myself. At the bike shop, I never seriously considered the electric version. I wanted the simple honesty of a chain, gears, and my own two legs. I wanted every mile to tell me the truth about my fitness, not a battery telling a comforting lie.

The hill wasted no time delivering that truth.

Sweat poured into my eyes, salty enough to season a basket of French fries. My breathing sounded like an accordion in the hands of someone who'd skipped practice for twenty years. The pedals felt like they were turning through wet concrete. Every instinct urged me to stop, pretend I was admiring the scenery, and wait for my pulse to fall below "medical curiosity.”

Instead, I kept pedaling. One more revolution.

Then another. Then another.

Eventually the hill surrendered—or perhaps it simply got tired of watching me suffer.

I coasted into the welcome shade beneath a beautiful tree, unclipped my helmet, grabbed my water bottle, and poured it over my head.

Instant relief.

The cold water hit sun-baked skin just as a gentle breeze wandered through the branches. My body cooled almost immediately, my breathing settled, and something unexpected happened.

The sleek Trek vanished.

Suddenly I wasn't a newly retired man catching his breath on a California roadside. I was a kid again, riding through the humid summer air of Cuba, Illinois.

I could almost feel the weight of my Sting-Ray bicycle beneath me. It wasn't light, and it certainly wasn't fast. But it carried something no expensive bike ever could.

Freedom.

Back then, a bicycle wasn't exercise. It wasn't heart-rate zones, fitness apps, or posting your ride online for people you'd never met to click a thumbs-up.

It was my passport.

It took me down gravel roads that disappeared over the next hill, to hidden creeks, baseball diamonds, fishing holes, and adventures my parents knew absolutely nothing about. The world seemed endless because my bicycle made it so.

Standing there beneath that tree, wiping cool water from my face, I finally understood why I had chosen a regular bike.

It wasn't because e-bikes are bad. They aren't. They're wonderful machines that help people ride farther and longer, and in many cases, ride at all. There's a lot to admire about that.

But there was something I wanted that no motor could provide.

The struggle. Not because suffering is noble, but because sometimes effort earns more than a destination.

That climb made the cool water sweeter.

It made the breeze feel like air conditioning designed by God.

And somehow, without my realizing it, it unlocked a memory that had been waiting patiently for decades.

During my first official week of retirement, I didn't just make it to the top of a hill.

For a few precious minutes, I pedaled all the way back to twelve years old. That's what an e-bike couldn't do. Not because it lacked the horsepower.

Because some journeys have to be earned.

I’m Patrick Ball. Stay curious, ask more questions. I’ll see you On the Fly.

Comments

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

Doc Welch - The Country Doctor

In this episode, Doc Welch . . . Many authors have characterized life in rural Illinois over the years. Among the more notables are Edgar Lee Masters, who wrote Spoon River Anthology, Carl Sandburg for his poetry and biography of Abraham Lincoln, and little known to me until recently, my first doctor, whom everyone in town always called Doc Welch - James K. Welch, M.D.  (Feb. 7, 1915, to May 5, 1998) While exploring the microfilm of the Cuba Journal (published from 1884 to 1992), I consistently kept running across articles entitled The Country Doctor. This intrigued me. Doc Welch was a third-generation practicing Country Doctor in Cuba for over 40 years. His father, James William Welch, M.D., practiced medicine in Cuba for more than five decades. His grandfather, James Knox Welch, M.D., settled in Cuba after the Civil War. Cuba, Illinois, is a small, rural farming community in west-central Illinois, where I grew up. Like many small towns, it boasts a central square with a ban...

The Rhythm of the Woodpecker

The morning in Vista often begins under a heavy, gray marine layer that rolls in from the coast, pressing a damp, muffled stillness over the neighborhood. At 4:30 a.m., the driveways are still full. The local commuters are either blissfully unconscious or stumbling blindly toward their showers, clinging desperately to their last shred of peace before the nine-to-five grind claims them for the day. I, on the other hand, am voluntarily wide awake in the dark. When your agenda consists of absolutely nothing, it is critical to get an early start. Inside the house, the quiet is profound, broken only by the sharp, mechanical click of the kettle as it reaches a rolling boil. I stand at the counter, watching the dark ground coffee bloom as hot water hits the French press's stainless steel. The smell is sudden and heavy—a deep, roasted-earth aroma that cuts through the morning fog. I push against the plunger’s gritty resistance, pouring a cup that radiates dark, stinging heat against my pal...