Skip to main content

Homesick

In this episode, Homesick . . .

"You can never go home again." –Thomas Wolfe.

We've been watching a documentary about the 1970s – 1971, to be exact, on Apple TV+. The Year That Music Changed Everything, how music influenced culture. The Beatles were breaking up, John Lennon recorded the classic Imagine, and many Pop bands emerged to protest the Vietnam War. Marvin Gaye's iconic album What's Going On was released in 1971, addressing social issues like poverty, war, and racial injustice. The music from the documentary reminded me of who I was in the 1970s, a time of social and political upheaval. Hippies, with their long hair and anti-war protests, challenged traditional values. Their emphasis on peace and self-expression resonated with many young people, including myself (See Captain Fantastic).

In short, there was political and social unrest throughout the world. It was my sophomore year in high school, and in my world, life was about exploring science, math, space travel, and science fiction. What brought all this to mind?

A few weeks ago, for my birthday, Lori and I traveled to Los Angeles. As you may remember (Griffith’s Glory), we visited Griffith Park. However, since we overnighted in Glendale, CA, we also went to the Glendale Galleria, where I had one of my first jobs after graduating from GIA in 1985 and where Lori and I met.

The Galleria had been remodeled–expanded–featuring an "outdoor" open-air section. While walking through this area, we decided to visit the Barnes & Noble store. It had the feel of the old Barnes and Noble store in Manhattan, with its three floors. Plus, the addition of CDs, LP records, children's toys, and a section dedicated to science fiction. It's been years since I've read classic works by Isaac Asimov, Ray Bradbury, Michael Crichton, or Robert Heinlein.

Scanning the titles in front of the rows of bookshelves, I tried to remember my favorite books from that era. However, as the saying goes, "You can never go home again." Although that may be true, books allow us to revisit 
timeless emotions that seem to be buried deep in our subconscious.

Out of sheer curiosity, I selected a copy of Nightfall and Other Stories by Isaac Asimov.

Over the recent Labor Day weekend, I was immersed in stories that had ignited my passion for science, mathematics, physics, and astronomy since childhood. Asimov's suspenseful narratives continue to captivate and challenge the bounds of imagination long before scientific advancements have mirrored those depicted in fiction.

For example, the story "Nobody Here But—" was written in 1953 and first published in Star Science Fiction Stories. It’s about two scientists, Cliff and Bill, who have created a small but powerful computer. Bill, who is shy and hesitant, struggles to propose to his girlfriend, Mary Ann. Sensing Bill's emotional state, the computer offers advice and suggests specific lines for the proposal. As Bill follows the computer's guidance, he becomes increasingly reliant on it, believing that the machine's suggestions are infallible. When Mary Ann finally agrees to marry him, Bill is unsure whether the proposal is his or the computer's idea.

This story explores themes of artificial intelligence (AI), human relationships, and the potential for technology to influence our decisions and behaviors.

Is this beginning to sound all too familiar? So, why reminisce about the 1970s?

Quietly, while selecting this book from the racks, I heard–in my mind–“Mr. Ball, haven’t you ever been homesick?”

Or–maybe–just maybe–Siri connected to my neural network–

I'm Patrick Ball; thanks for listening. See you in the next episode.

Comments

Don Hanley said…
Thanks PATRICK for reminding me to feel free to go back and appreciate my journey up until forever.

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

Doc Welch - The Country Doctor

In this episode, Doc Welch . . . Many authors have characterized life in rural Illinois over the years. Among the more notables are Edgar Lee Masters, who wrote Spoon River Anthology, Carl Sandburg for his poetry and biography of Abraham Lincoln, and little known to me until recently, my first doctor, whom everyone in town always called Doc Welch - James K. Welch, M.D.  (Feb. 7, 1915, to May 5, 1998) While exploring the microfilm of the Cuba Journal (published from 1884 to 1992), I consistently kept running across articles entitled The Country Doctor. This intrigued me. Doc Welch was a third-generation practicing Country Doctor in Cuba for over 40 years. His father, James William Welch, M.D., practiced medicine in Cuba for more than five decades. His grandfather, James Knox Welch, M.D., settled in Cuba after the Civil War. Cuba, Illinois, is a small, rural farming community in west-central Illinois, where I grew up. Like many small towns, it boasts a central square with a ban...

The Rhythm of the Woodpecker

The morning in Vista often begins under a heavy, gray marine layer that rolls in from the coast, pressing a damp, muffled stillness over the neighborhood. At 4:30 a.m., the driveways are still full. The local commuters are either blissfully unconscious or stumbling blindly toward their showers, clinging desperately to their last shred of peace before the nine-to-five grind claims them for the day. I, on the other hand, am voluntarily wide awake in the dark. When your agenda consists of absolutely nothing, it is critical to get an early start. Inside the house, the quiet is profound, broken only by the sharp, mechanical click of the kettle as it reaches a rolling boil. I stand at the counter, watching the dark ground coffee bloom as hot water hits the French press's stainless steel. The smell is sudden and heavy—a deep, roasted-earth aroma that cuts through the morning fog. I push against the plunger’s gritty resistance, pouring a cup that radiates dark, stinging heat against my pal...