Skip to main content

Achoo! Pesky Spring Allergies

In this episode – Achoo! Pesky Spring Allergies . . .

Spring is here! Flowers are blooming, birds are singing . . . and everyone's sniffling? Yes, sir, that's pollen allergies for you. If your eyes are itchy, your nose is running, and you sound like a foghorn, you're not alone. Pollen is pounding your immune system!

Don't despair, allergy sufferers! We asked Gemini AI and Chat GPT for tips on breathing easier this season.

First things first–know your enemy! Check the pollen forecast in your area. Many weather apps and websites show pollen counts. Knowing what's peaking can help you plan your day and minimize exposure. Speaking of minimizing exposure, keep those windows closed on high-pollen days. Let the fresh air in during low pollen times, but enjoy glorious air conditioning when pollen explodes.

Here's a suggested hero for your home: invest in an air purifier! Look for one with HEPA filtration, which can trap those tiny pollen particles before they torture your sinuses. And when you do go outside, wear sunglasses! They can block pollen from getting in your eyes, which can be a major source of irritation.

Now, let's talk about medication. Over-the-counter antihistamines can be a lifesaver. Loratadine, cetirizine, and fexofenadine are all common options. I can hardly pronounce these, let alone know what they are. So I asked AI what some common over-the-counter brands contain these medications.

While I can't mention specific brands due to medical advice restrictions, I can tell you that Loratadine, cetirizine, and fexofenadine are active ingredients in many over-the-counter allergy medications.  These medications come under various brand names depending on location and manufacturer.

  • Loratadine is found in brands like Claritin and Alavert.
  • Cetirizine is found in brands like Zyrtec and Aller-Tec.
  • Fexofenadine is found in brands like Allegra and Fexofen.

Disclaimer, It's always best to consult a doctor or pharmacist before starting any new medication, especially if you have underlying health conditions or take other medications. They can advise you on the best course of treatment for your specific allergies and needs and help you navigate potential interactions with other medications you might be taking.

Remember, a little prevention goes a long way—shower after spending time outdoors to rinse pollen off your hair and skin. Wash the clothes you wore outside to prevent pollen from taking up residence in your laundry basket.

Finally, this might sound crazy, but a daily saline nasal rinse can be a game-changer! It helps flush out pollen and irritants from your nasal passages, bringing much-needed relief.

So, allergy sufferers, take heart! By following these tips and consulting your doctor if needed, you can fight back against pollen and enjoy the beauty of spring without the misery.

Lori gave me the same advice–consult your spouse or a family member first. You’d be surprised how wise they can be.

I'm Patrick Ball; thanks for listening. I'll see you in the next episode.

Comments

Most Popular of All Time

Morning Coffee

In this episode, Morning Coffee . . . Now, I’m not saying everyone needs coffee. Some folks get by just fine on, I don’t know, sunlight and positive thinking. Me? I’m pretty sure I started drinking the stuff sometime around the Reagan administration. Reading John Gierach’s "Ode to Campfire Coffee" in Trout Bum (a book that should be required reading for anyone who sees sleeping on the ground as recreation) got me thinking about how we’ve managed to complicate something as fundamentally simple as boiling water and adding grounds. Taste, you say? Look, black coffee is an acquired taste, like tequila or cilantro. I just don’t get it. Gierach, bless his heart, mostly drinks his java streamside, probably while wearing wool socks and waders and contemplating the mysteries of the universe. As for me? My outdoor coffee experience is a bit different. Picture this: the High Sierra, where campfires are banned (to avoid agitating Smoky Bear), and I’m huddled over a Whisperlite , coax...

A B+ Kind of Life

Welcome back to this week's On the Fly . Retirement has taught me something unexpected: life gets a lot more enjoyable when you stop chasing perfection. Lately, I've been having an absolute blast playing executive par-3 courses like Rancho Carlsbad . A short iron, a sunny morning, and nowhere to be except the next tee—that's my kind of day. This Thursday, though, I'm raising the stakes. I'm heading to The Links at Lakehouse in San Marcos, a full-size par-71 course with enough water hazards to keep the local fish well-stocked with my golf balls. After shooting a 64 on a par-3 course, I've set myself a new goal: shoot an 89 before my birthday next August. Why 89? Because on a par-71 course, that's bogey golf—one extra stroke per hole. For non-golfers, think of it this way: par is like earning 100% on a final exam. Bogey golf is a solid B+. You got the job done, learned something, and probably had a lot more fun getting there. The older I get, the more I appre...

Resurrecting the '90s Graphite

Let’s face it, there’s a certain danger in reading John Gierach's Trout Bum . His wit, self-deprecation, and sharp, effortless satire are entirely infectious. If you aren't careful, his words will inspire you to drop everything, wade into a freezing river, and try to outsmart a creature with a brain the size of a lentil. In my case, re-reading Gierach recently didn't send me straight to the river. It sent me digging through the dusty, spider-guarded corners of my garage. In the early 1990s, seeking a natural escape from Manhattan's concrete canyons, I decided to learn to cast a fly rod. I bought an Orvis Rocky Mountain —eight-and-a-half feet, three ounces, built for a five-weight line—and had absolutely no idea how to use it. To avoid aimlessly whipping the water like scrambling eggs, I took fly-fishing lessons from Al Cucci, co-author of Hatches , on the Delaware River. With his guidance, I fished renowned waters: the AuSable in New York and Michigan, and New Jersey...

The Endless Work of Wisdom

It always makes me smile. The moment people learn I've officially entered what I like to call the Great Un-Working (retirement), they almost immediately ask the same question: “So . . . What do you do now?" I think they're expecting me to say I'm restoring a vintage sports car, hiking the John Muir Trail, or finally becoming fluent in French.   Instead, I tell them: "I live life deliberately." That's usually the point when I get a polite nod, followed by the unmistakable look of someone wondering whether I've simply found a more sophisticated way to say, “I’m becoming a bum.” Apparently, "living deliberately" sounds suspiciously like unemployment, just better branding. The truth is, what living deliberately looks like for me right now is taking time to synthesize a lifetime of experiences into these weekly reflections. It's slowing down long enough to ask what those experiences have taught me, while keeping the door wide open to the poss...