Skip to main content

On the Fly–Taking Flight

In this special 500th episode, On the Fly is moving to a new home.

Here’s why—and what’s staying the same.

For a very long time (since April 2012), On the Fly has lived on Blogger.

Blogger has been a reliable host—dependable, quiet, and never complaining when I arrived late with another half-baked idea, a guitar riff, or a story that needed a little air. It faithfully archived my thoughts, my music, and more than a decade of curiosity.


But the internet has changed.

It’s louder now. Flashier. More insistent. Every thought is nudged to perform. Every sentence wants to be optimized, monetized, or interrupted by something that really wants your attention right this second.

I’ve been craving the opposite.

So today, On the Fly is moving to Substack.

If you’ve been with me for a while, you know my quiet obsession: the Art of Seeing. I’m interested in the moments we rush past—the Aversion Trap, the discipline hidden inside a guitarist’s daily practice, the small revelations that appear when you wander Paris without a plan.

As a writer, a lifelong cyclist, and an amateur astronomer, I’ve learned something simple yet stubborn: The best views don’t show up when you’re in a hurry. They show up when you pause.

Why the move?

I wanted a home that feels less like a cluttered website and more like a conversation. A place where the words and the music can breathe.

Here’s what that looks like:

  • No ads. No noise. Just the story, the song, and the space between them.
  • Direct delivery. New episodes and essays arrive in your inbox—no refreshing, no algorithms pretending to know you better than you know yourself.
  • An actual listening experience. You can now listen to all 480+ archived episodes in the Substack app (once moved), which pairs well with walking, riding, or staring thoughtfully out a window.

What’s staying the same?

Pretty much everything that matters.

The Friday Morning Pause isn’t going anywhere. My curiosity about heritage, creativity, baseball, and the odd poetry of everyday life remains fully intact. I’m still Patrick. Still asking questions–and I’m still occasionally surprised by the answers.

I’m also bringing the entire On the Fly archive with me, so feel free to wander. There’s a lot back there—some of it still holding up surprisingly well.

To longtime readers: thank you for crossing the digital border with me. To those just joining: I’m glad you’re here.

Let’s look up from our screens now and then and see what we can discover— On the Fly.

Stay curious. Ask questions. I’ll see you in the next episode.

— Patrick

SUBSCRIBE TO ON THE FLY

Join 495+ episodes on our new home.

Comments

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

The Rhythm of the Woodpecker

The morning in Vista often begins under a heavy, gray marine layer that rolls in from the coast, pressing a damp, muffled stillness over the neighborhood. At 4:30 a.m., the driveways are still full. The local commuters are either blissfully unconscious or stumbling blindly toward their showers, clinging desperately to their last shred of peace before the nine-to-five grind claims them for the day. I, on the other hand, am voluntarily wide awake in the dark. When your agenda consists of absolutely nothing, it is critical to get an early start. Inside the house, the quiet is profound, broken only by the sharp, mechanical click of the kettle as it reaches a rolling boil. I stand at the counter, watching the dark ground coffee bloom as hot water hits the French press's stainless steel. The smell is sudden and heavy—a deep, roasted-earth aroma that cuts through the morning fog. I push against the plunger’s gritty resistance, pouring a cup that radiates dark, stinging heat against my pal...

How to Horrify a Professional Skeptic

Today’s " Professional Skeptic"  knows exactly how retirement is supposed to unfold: you lose your job, your identity, and your purpose. Within months, you're complaining about restaurant portions and detailing your blood pressure to strangers in line at the post office. For a generation distrustful of leaders, convinced the future is a rigged game, a peaceful retirement is an outdated myth. The working world expects you to stay “on the hook.” Former bosses are quick to ask, “Can we call you? What are your consulting fees?” So, just for fun, picture a deeply suspicious, invisible observer lurking in my kitchen. Let's call him Captain Content. The Captain doesn't wear a top hat or wring bony fingers. Instead, imagine a younger guy glued to his smartphone, heavily caffeinated, and entirely convinced the system is broken. He live-streams my morning routine to his echo chamber while on a conference call with 48 attendees on his second phone, waiting for the inevitabl...