Skip to main content

An American

In this episode - An American . . .

"We will lead not merely by the example of our power but by the power of our example." U.S. President, Joe Biden


Are you an American? Unlike many of you, my mother and I immigrated to the United States as French Citizens.

We were considered Aliens! How do I know that? Easy, every year we were required to go to our local Post Office and complete an Alien Registration Form.


Growing up in a small Midwestern town, like you, my formative school years were devoted to reading, writing, and arithmetic AND learning to speak English. Also, I vividly remember each morning reciting; "I Pledge of Allegiance to the United States of America . . ."


As a Cub Scout, we also recited the scout motto; "A Scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent."


Little did I realize at that time how those time-honored words and traditions would affect my work ethic, my character, my values, and my future.

As an immigrant, the pure joy of growing up in a free country allowed its people to become whatever they set their hearts and minds upon.

We witnessed America's birth of the Space Program, the explosion of technology that advanced communications, watched men walk on the Moon, the expansion of Television that brought the world into our homes. In many ways, it didn't seem real. It all seemed fabricated somehow. All viewed from a wooden box with a black tube.

I've always wondered, do children ever grasp the concept of what's real on TV and what's fabricated? Who knows?

All I know is, our community affected my childhood development much more than I realized during my formative years. I was becoming an American.

But for my family, there was another world outside that tiny neighborhood. The much larger world of La Rochelle, France, my mothers' town. That "other world" was proven when I uncovered the bundles of French handwritten letters my mother had treasured and kept to herself all those years.

As children, we would board a very large plane and make the trip back to France about every 5 years. Mom insisted on it. Dad however never returned to France after his military service ended.

We would step off the plane into the arms of her brother and his wife. To see her blossom and be free of that alien mask was an awakening for me. Unlike me or any other in our immediate family, her formative years were as a French citizen. 

However, it was 1974 when my mother and I both stood before a Judge and accepted the Oath of Citizenship to finally say, "We are Americans."

So, what did it mean to become an American?

Looking back now, it was an opportunity that no other country offers, the freedom to reinvent oneself whenever the need arose, and the security of living in a democracy that values the will of the people.

God bless America!

If you like our weekly visits, please share them with a friend.


I'm Patrick Ball; thanks for listening. See you in the next episode.

Comments

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

The Rhythm of the Woodpecker

The morning in Vista often begins under a heavy, gray marine layer that rolls in from the coast, pressing a damp, muffled stillness over the neighborhood. At 4:30 a.m., the driveways are still full. The local commuters are either blissfully unconscious or stumbling blindly toward their showers, clinging desperately to their last shred of peace before the nine-to-five grind claims them for the day. I, on the other hand, am voluntarily wide awake in the dark. When your agenda consists of absolutely nothing, it is critical to get an early start. Inside the house, the quiet is profound, broken only by the sharp, mechanical click of the kettle as it reaches a rolling boil. I stand at the counter, watching the dark ground coffee bloom as hot water hits the French press's stainless steel. The smell is sudden and heavy—a deep, roasted-earth aroma that cuts through the morning fog. I push against the plunger’s gritty resistance, pouring a cup that radiates dark, stinging heat against my pal...

How to Horrify a Professional Skeptic

Today’s " Professional Skeptic"  knows exactly how retirement is supposed to unfold: you lose your job, your identity, and your purpose. Within months, you're complaining about restaurant portions and detailing your blood pressure to strangers in line at the post office. For a generation distrustful of leaders, convinced the future is a rigged game, a peaceful retirement is an outdated myth. The working world expects you to stay “on the hook.” Former bosses are quick to ask, “Can we call you? What are your consulting fees?” So, just for fun, picture a deeply suspicious, invisible observer lurking in my kitchen. Let's call him Captain Content. The Captain doesn't wear a top hat or wring bony fingers. Instead, imagine a younger guy glued to his smartphone, heavily caffeinated, and entirely convinced the system is broken. He live-streams my morning routine to his echo chamber while on a conference call with 48 attendees on his second phone, waiting for the inevitabl...