Skip to main content

2018 Birthday Ride

It’s called a Metric Century, we call it this years birthday ride. Distance: 62.5 miles, ride time 5 hrs. 19 minutes 12 seconds, average speed 11.7 mph.

I’m fairly certain that I will never shoot my age in Golf, swim the English Channel, or for that matter ride the Race Across America. However, since my 50th birthday my self-proclaimed yearly goal is to complete a bicycle ride, in one day, at least my age in miles, on or near my birthday. This year,  August 16, 2018, this olé boy has completed 62 trips around the Sun on this home we call Earth. That’s really hard to believe.

With the advent of Facebook, Twitter, and other social media outlets I’ve been able to shout from the mountaintop my proposed goal to all who will listen. Even to those who could care less. This serves two purposes; first, to sustain a foundational fitness level as I get older.

Dr. Dennis Waitley reminds us that our bodies are, “Our transportation vehicle to the future.” Cycling provides an exercise regiment and long-range goals to keep me healthy and motivated. Two, it challenges me to live up to my time commitments in daily activities and relationships. Busy, irregular work schedules make it difficult sometimes almost impossible to maintain a fitness program. But come what may, I’m devoted to cycling. I’ve been a distance bicyclist since about 15 years old.

The fact is, it’s not the ride that’s difficult (provided you properly train). The real challenge is - to Do What You Say you will do.

It’s a disarming thought, always do what you say you’ll do—simple yet profound. Show the world your commitment to integrity. More importantly, it is how you demonstrate dedication to yourself, your family, friends, and your community.

Believe me, after a full weeks work at Home Depot pounding the concrete, I’m tired and sore. (My Fitbit records an average of 5-7 miles per day). Sore shoulders, stiff neck, stiff back, sore hips, and I’m certain I could have fabricated a host of other excuses.

As Socrates said, “Know thyself.”

Well, my cycling legs feel fine. Those other aches and pains, nothing a couple of Advil can’t handle.

Surprisingly, I began to realize just how much everyone listened to my birthday proclamation. Friends and family began sending me messages on Facebook, texts, and phone calls.

“Happy Birthday Patrick! Are you going to ride your age?” from a fellow rider and close friend.

“Happy Birthday Patrick. Start out easy, like to the mail box and back!"

“Go for it Patrick! Age is a number not a barrier . . . keep on keeping on.”

So, it’s Sunday morning, I’m up at 5:00 a.m. preparing for our ride; a good breakfast, a shower, stretching, check the air in the tires, clean the chain, and inspect the gears.

Now, what most people don’t realize is my best friend and wife, Lori, is right beside me all the way. She reminds me to eat something every hour, is our route planner, photographer, and cheerleader. With enthusiasm, she is up by six, has her coffee, breakfast, and is ready to hit the road by 7:00 a.m.

As we roll away from the house she says, “I must be a crazy wife to participate in a stunt like this.”

“What do you mean? We play golf, go hiking, and do all the training rides together.”

Of course, she insists on taking photos. Start time, rest breaks, food stops, and finishing times. This year finishing strong with a video of me huffing and puffing my way up the hill home.

Our last rest stop, lunch, the 55 mile mark, her comment to me was, “I get to stop in four miles - right? You ride home, get the truck, and come pick me up.”

“Just kidding, I just need to stretch my back, eat something, then I’ll be ready to go.” said Lori.

With the commitment of a trooper she rode ahead to take the attached video titled, Finishing Strong.

Well, the next few days we will both take some well deserved time-off. Next weekend we will start preparing for next year’s ride.

The lesson learned - always Do What You Say. No matter how silly and insignificant what you declare may come across at the time, people do remember. And most of all, it is how you demonstrate dedication to yourself.

Comments

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

Doc Welch - The Country Doctor

In this episode, Doc Welch . . . Many authors have characterized life in rural Illinois over the years. Among the more notables are Edgar Lee Masters, who wrote Spoon River Anthology, Carl Sandburg for his poetry and biography of Abraham Lincoln, and little known to me until recently, my first doctor, whom everyone in town always called Doc Welch - James K. Welch, M.D.  (Feb. 7, 1915, to May 5, 1998) While exploring the microfilm of the Cuba Journal (published from 1884 to 1992), I consistently kept running across articles entitled The Country Doctor. This intrigued me. Doc Welch was a third-generation practicing Country Doctor in Cuba for over 40 years. His father, James William Welch, M.D., practiced medicine in Cuba for more than five decades. His grandfather, James Knox Welch, M.D., settled in Cuba after the Civil War. Cuba, Illinois, is a small, rural farming community in west-central Illinois, where I grew up. Like many small towns, it boasts a central square with a ban...

The Rhythm of the Woodpecker

The morning in Vista often begins under a heavy, gray marine layer that rolls in from the coast, pressing a damp, muffled stillness over the neighborhood. At 4:30 a.m., the driveways are still full. The local commuters are either blissfully unconscious or stumbling blindly toward their showers, clinging desperately to their last shred of peace before the nine-to-five grind claims them for the day. I, on the other hand, am voluntarily wide awake in the dark. When your agenda consists of absolutely nothing, it is critical to get an early start. Inside the house, the quiet is profound, broken only by the sharp, mechanical click of the kettle as it reaches a rolling boil. I stand at the counter, watching the dark ground coffee bloom as hot water hits the French press's stainless steel. The smell is sudden and heavy—a deep, roasted-earth aroma that cuts through the morning fog. I push against the plunger’s gritty resistance, pouring a cup that radiates dark, stinging heat against my pal...