Skip to main content

Memories or Tradition

Memories or is it traditions that make the holidays special?

If it’s memories, today I experienced a flood of them. How you ask? Well, today, for the first time in years, as I entered Joes Hardware in Fallbrook, California I was surprised to see front and center a W. R. Case and Sons Cutlery Co. knife display. This took me back . . . 

Christmas shopping at Marshall’s TrueValue Hardware store in Cuba, Illinois. You see, when you walked in the front door, just to your left was a special display of Case knives. I had to stop and look at the wide selection thinking someday I’ll be old enough to buy myself one.

Why Case? Because that’s what Dad always used. You see, my Dad was a traditional outdoorsman. A hunter. He loved to hunt; rabbits, squirrels, quail, pheasant, raccoons (coons), whatever was in season. His spare time was spent in the woods hunting or on a river fishing with his children. No, not for sport. It supplemented his income. As a boy it was my job to hold the game as he skinned and cleaned it for the freezer, using his Case knife.

Christmas Eve we would go Coon Hunting. Not to watch for Santa, but to teach me how to navigate the woods in complete darkness using the stars as your directional compass. Under a velvet black sky with millions of twinkling stars we would walk through the woods waiting, listening for the dogs to tree a coon. To me it seemed we were always walking in circles.

For those who’ve never been it was went something like this:

“Good night for Coon hunting, fresh snow on the ground, get your boots and hunting clothes on - it’s cold tonight.”

He would grab his carbide light, spotlight, rifle, cartridges, knife, dog leash and load the hounds in their dog box in the back of his truck.

“We taking Ranger and Nailer tonight?” They were Dad’s most dependable coon hounds.

“Tonight we’re just taking Ranger.”

“Where we going?” I asked.

“Out near Grandpa’s.”

He always called his father Grandpa. My Dad was one of nine siblings. Each had married young and had four to five kids on average, we had a large family. Many nights Grandpa and my Uncle Lyle, Dad’s younger brother, would join us. But tonight it was just Dad and me.

So we drove out Route 97, took the gravel road, parked the truck about two miles from Grandpa's house, Rural Route #2, Canton, Il. We could easily see their house from where we entered the woods. 

“Ok, turn Ranger loose.”

Ranger leapt from the truck, his enthusiasm was contagious.

With the crunching of snow we entered the woods soon to be completely surrounded by large oak trees. The moon was full, we needed no carbide light tonight.

“Hear that? Ranger has a scent.” Dad said.

“I don’t hear anything.” 

“Listen - you can hear him rustling the leaves under the snow and snorting as he tracks that coon.” 

About that time Ranger began to bay, a deep, long bark, almost a howl. As he straighten out the track his howling would increase in rhythm. As if he were singing a song. Dad would smile, stop, cock his head and listen intently. “He’s headed north. Towards the house,” (Grandpa's house).

We had been walking for a while. Honestly, I was lost, without Dad I would have probably never found my way back to the truck.

“Which way is the house?” he asked me.

Bowing my head in shame, “I don’t know, we’ve been walking in circles.”

“Look up, see the Big Dipper. Follow that arm of the dipper, that’s the North Star. From there you can find your way anytime.

“What if it’s cloudy?”

“Then you use a pole light from the house as your reference when you enter the woods.”

About then Ranger began to bark very slow and steady. 

“He’s treed a coon, let’s go.”

We made our way thru the timber until we found Ranger with his front paws extended up the tree barking faster now as if to say, “That coon is here - no doubt.”

So, Dad pulls out his big spotlight and begins to scan the tree. 

Quietly he says, “Look there, follow the light.”

To my wonder I saw a pair of very large eyes. It was a great Horned Owl. He slowly turned his head to the left, then to the right. “Are you going to shoot it?” I asked.

“Nope, those owls keep the mice down in the barns around here. We’re looking for the coon that Ranger has treed.” 

And sure enough higher in that large tree, in a fork, almost hidden from view was a very large Raccoon.

“Hold Ranger, I’ll shoot him out. When the coon hits the ground let Ranger go.”

I’m here to tell you, when that coon hit, I had no choice, Ranger leaped from my grip practically dragging me into the fight with him and that coon. Ole’ Ranger was a pro, he latched on to that coon by the neck and quickly took him out.

Dad pulled out his knife, gutted the coon and asked, “Which way to the truck?”

I pointed South, we put Ranger on the leash and headed home.

That was my first time seeing a Great Horned Owl. It’s been years since I’ve been Coon hunting. But, that Christmas Eve memory is burned into my mind.

And it was all due to seeing that Case Knife display, go figure.

Merry Christmas!

Comments

Most Popular of All Time

The Who Was - Series

In this episode, the Who Was? - Series . . . With over 250 titles, Penguin Random House Books Who Was?  - Series tells the incredible stories of trailblazers, legends, innovators, and creators. Are you a bibliophile, an individual who loves and frequently reads books (a bookworm)? What is it that compels you to pick up a book? Is it the cover, is it the title, how about an interest in a specialized subject, or just - perhaps it's a whim? One of my ultimate goals with these podcasts is to reach a young audience. I've found that reading children's books is a gratifying and educational experience. Yes, even grown-ups can understand difficult concepts. To my surprise, both children and adults seem to appreciate the experience. With education such a hot topic in the news right now, we need to be reminded that whether it's going to school, visiting a museum, or online learning, the goal of education (both young and old) is to nurture an interest in learning. William Butler Ye

Big Apple, Big Charge

In this episode –  Big Apple, Big Charge  . . . Welcome back to On the Fly, your weekly dose of quirky observations and unexpected trends. Today, we're fresh off a trip to the Scaffolding/Plywood jungle, where we witnessed a phenomenon that will make you rethink your relationship with the humble wall socket. That's right, we're talking about New York City, and it's . . . wait for ­­it — Free, ubiquitous electric outlets! New York constantly buzzes with traffic, jackhammers, honking horns, and helicopters. But what struck me most was the sheer volume of people glued to their devices while commuting and navigating the streets with hundreds of construction obstacles. It's like everyone's “plugged into” some invisible grid—phones, tablets, watches, headphones, earbuds, e-bikes—you name it. And that's where things get interesting. But, unlike our quiet suburban life, free outlets in NYC aren't exactly abundant. So, how do these New Yorkers keep their gadgets

What Time Is It

In this episode – What Time Is It . . . In the era before smartphones, let’s say we’re on a telephone call, and you ask me, “What time is it?” As a five-year-old, my reply is, "The big hand is on the two (2) and the little hand on the eight (8).” You would then say, "Alright, it's ten minutes after eight o’clock or eight-ten, right?" This is how we learned to tell time as children–remember? Well, what happened . . . During dinner last week in Westfield, NJ, a retired high school teacher told our group, “Did you know that children today cannot read the time on a traditional watch with an analog face?” “Why not?” we asked. “Because of smartphones and the proliferation of digital clocks.” “Wow! That’s hard to believe.” Welcome to this week's episode of "On the Fly." Today, we'll compare classic mechanical watches to modern quartz watches and explore an unexpected social shift. To begin with, let me take you back a few days. I’m a traditionalist and pre

It Runs on Steam

In this episode – It Runs on Steam . . . If you’ve seen Back to The Future III, you may remember Doc Brown's line, “It Runs on Steam !” Recently, I visited my good friend Billy in Westfield, New Jersey. Among his many other hobbies, Billy is a steam engine enthusiast. He proudly fired up his miniature steam engine and confidently explained its workings, which got me thinking . . . (Sound effect of Billy's steam engine whistle) Have you ever considered how environmentally friendly a steam engine powered by renewable energy could be? There would be no need for gasoline, batteries, diesel fuel, or Uranium-234. Imagine an engine powered by water—yes, water. I can hear the naysayers: "But . . .” Welcome back to On the Fly, where we dive into one of history's most fascinating inventions. Today, we're firing up a revolution – the Industrial Revolution, that is – with the mighty steam engine! For centuries, people relied on muscle, wind, and waterpower to get things do