Skip to main content

Memories or Tradition

Memories or is it traditions that make the holidays special?

If it’s memories, today I experienced a flood of them. How you ask? Well, today, for the first time in years, as I entered Joes Hardware in Fallbrook, California I was surprised to see front and center a W. R. Case and Sons Cutlery Co. knife display. This took me back . . . 

Christmas shopping at Marshall’s TrueValue Hardware store in Cuba, Illinois. You see, when you walked in the front door, just to your left was a special display of Case knives. I had to stop and look at the wide selection thinking someday I’ll be old enough to buy myself one.

Why Case? Because that’s what Dad always used. You see, my Dad was a traditional outdoorsman. A hunter. He loved to hunt; rabbits, squirrels, quail, pheasant, raccoons (coons), whatever was in season. His spare time was spent in the woods hunting or on a river fishing with his children. No, not for sport. It supplemented his income. As a boy it was my job to hold the game as he skinned and cleaned it for the freezer, using his Case knife.

Christmas Eve we would go Coon Hunting. Not to watch for Santa, but to teach me how to navigate the woods in complete darkness using the stars as your directional compass. Under a velvet black sky with millions of twinkling stars we would walk through the woods waiting, listening for the dogs to tree a coon. To me it seemed we were always walking in circles.

For those who’ve never been it was went something like this:

“Good night for Coon hunting, fresh snow on the ground, get your boots and hunting clothes on - it’s cold tonight.”

He would grab his carbide light, spotlight, rifle, cartridges, knife, dog leash and load the hounds in their dog box in the back of his truck.

“We taking Ranger and Nailer tonight?” They were Dad’s most dependable coon hounds.

“Tonight we’re just taking Ranger.”

“Where we going?” I asked.

“Out near Grandpa’s.”

He always called his father Grandpa. My Dad was one of nine siblings. Each had married young and had four to five kids on average, we had a large family. Many nights Grandpa and my Uncle Lyle, Dad’s younger brother, would join us. But tonight it was just Dad and me.

So we drove out Route 97, took the gravel road, parked the truck about two miles from Grandpa's house, Rural Route #2, Canton, Il. We could easily see their house from where we entered the woods. 

“Ok, turn Ranger loose.”

Ranger leapt from the truck, his enthusiasm was contagious.

With the crunching of snow we entered the woods soon to be completely surrounded by large oak trees. The moon was full, we needed no carbide light tonight.

“Hear that? Ranger has a scent.” Dad said.

“I don’t hear anything.” 

“Listen - you can hear him rustling the leaves under the snow and snorting as he tracks that coon.” 

About that time Ranger began to bay, a deep, long bark, almost a howl. As he straighten out the track his howling would increase in rhythm. As if he were singing a song. Dad would smile, stop, cock his head and listen intently. “He’s headed north. Towards the house,” (Grandpa's house).

We had been walking for a while. Honestly, I was lost, without Dad I would have probably never found my way back to the truck.

“Which way is the house?” he asked me.

Bowing my head in shame, “I don’t know, we’ve been walking in circles.”

“Look up, see the Big Dipper. Follow that arm of the dipper, that’s the North Star. From there you can find your way anytime.

“What if it’s cloudy?”

“Then you use a pole light from the house as your reference when you enter the woods.”

About then Ranger began to bark very slow and steady. 

“He’s treed a coon, let’s go.”

We made our way thru the timber until we found Ranger with his front paws extended up the tree barking faster now as if to say, “That coon is here - no doubt.”

So, Dad pulls out his big spotlight and begins to scan the tree. 

Quietly he says, “Look there, follow the light.”

To my wonder I saw a pair of very large eyes. It was a great Horned Owl. He slowly turned his head to the left, then to the right. “Are you going to shoot it?” I asked.

“Nope, those owls keep the mice down in the barns around here. We’re looking for the coon that Ranger has treed.” 

And sure enough higher in that large tree, in a fork, almost hidden from view was a very large Raccoon.

“Hold Ranger, I’ll shoot him out. When the coon hits the ground let Ranger go.”

I’m here to tell you, when that coon hit, I had no choice, Ranger leaped from my grip practically dragging me into the fight with him and that coon. Ole’ Ranger was a pro, he latched on to that coon by the neck and quickly took him out.

Dad pulled out his knife, gutted the coon and asked, “Which way to the truck?”

I pointed South, we put Ranger on the leash and headed home.

That was my first time seeing a Great Horned Owl. It’s been years since I’ve been Coon hunting. But, that Christmas Eve memory is burned into my mind.

And it was all due to seeing that Case Knife display, go figure.

Merry Christmas!

Comments

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

The Rhythm of the Woodpecker

The morning in Vista often begins under a heavy, gray marine layer that rolls in from the coast, pressing a damp, muffled stillness over the neighborhood. At 4:30 a.m., the driveways are still full. The local commuters are either blissfully unconscious or stumbling blindly toward their showers, clinging desperately to their last shred of peace before the nine-to-five grind claims them for the day. I, on the other hand, am voluntarily wide awake in the dark. When your agenda consists of absolutely nothing, it is critical to get an early start. Inside the house, the quiet is profound, broken only by the sharp, mechanical click of the kettle as it reaches a rolling boil. I stand at the counter, watching the dark ground coffee bloom as hot water hits the French press's stainless steel. The smell is sudden and heavy—a deep, roasted-earth aroma that cuts through the morning fog. I push against the plunger’s gritty resistance, pouring a cup that radiates dark, stinging heat against my pal...

How to Horrify a Professional Skeptic

Today’s " Professional Skeptic"  knows exactly how retirement is supposed to unfold: you lose your job, your identity, and your purpose. Within months, you're complaining about restaurant portions and detailing your blood pressure to strangers in line at the post office. For a generation distrustful of leaders, convinced the future is a rigged game, a peaceful retirement is an outdated myth. The working world expects you to stay “on the hook.” Former bosses are quick to ask, “Can we call you? What are your consulting fees?” So, just for fun, picture a deeply suspicious, invisible observer lurking in my kitchen. Let's call him Captain Content. The Captain doesn't wear a top hat or wring bony fingers. Instead, imagine a younger guy glued to his smartphone, heavily caffeinated, and entirely convinced the system is broken. He live-streams my morning routine to his echo chamber while on a conference call with 48 attendees on his second phone, waiting for the inevitabl...