Skip to main content

Rural Renewal

Redevelopment starts small. Could it be something as simple as Christmas lights on the square? Let’s hope so.

During a recent visit to Cuba, Illinois, I discovered a nugget of renewal.

Cuba is a small, rural farming community in west-central Illinois where I grew up. Like many small towns, it has a Main Street, boasts a central square with a bandstand, old-fashioned street lamps, and a veterans’ memorial, surrounded by the local businesses. During my youth, it was a thriving community. Today it’s a relic, one of those midwestern towns that have fallen into decay. I never witnessed the decay; it was 1976 when I moved to Macomb to attend Western Illinois University. From there, I moved to California. At least once a year I return home to visit family.

This year I lost my father. He was 80 years old, his spirit lives in all the people he touched. Exasperated by the realization of losing her friend and lifelong companion, I quickly realized my mother found a lot to complain about. “It’s too cold here,” she said. Granted the temperature was three degrees above zero with wind chills of -10 below. “This town is a junk pile,” she quipped.

If you grew up in an urban environment, imagine Mayberry from the Andy Griffith Show, then picture all the business’s closed. That’s Cuba in a nutshell. 

It is disheartening. A stroll around town will show beautiful old houses that today stand vacant, windows were broken out, and collapsing. However, we discovered a glimmer of hope.

One night, after returning from the hospital, instead of going straight home Mom and I made a quick trip around the Square.

"This is the first year we've had Christmas lights on the square for many years," she said in amazement.

“Why?” I asked.

“I don’t know,” she said.

The next morning I bundled up with warm layers of clothes and walked the cold wintery streets looking for signs of a caring community. It had to be there. The seeds of kind-hearted, attentive residents I remembered growing up as a young boy. I didn’t have to look very far. Just one block from my mothers' house, blanketed in snow, the neighbors had beautifully decorated their yard with colorfully lit Christmas trees and multicolored lights framing their house. Filled with hope, I plodded on, the rhythmic crunching of snow beneath my boots.

Then I saw what looked like a birdhouse on a pole near the street. To my surprise, it was a handcrafted replica of an old-style schoolhouse, complete with siding and shingles on the roof. It was crowned with a steeple and a small bell atop. The sign on it read, “Gale’s Little Free Library - Take a Book or Return a Book.” How cool was that? The community spirit was beginning to show.

Another morning we stopped in The Cuba Senior Center just to say hello. It’s in the same building that was once home to Marshall's Furniture, Plumbing, and Heating. There we found a group of silver-haired ladies in a circle doing flexibility exercises. Sitting at a large table, one of the men placing pieces in an oversized Norman Rockwell photo puzzle recognized me.

“Patrick Ball, its been over 40 years since I’ve seen you,” he said. “So sorry to hear about your Dad’s passing. He will be sorely missed.”

“Thanks,” I said. “How have you been John?” We picked up a conversation like I had never left. 

“I’m doin‘ all right, he said. “Yep, still here in Cuba guess I’ll never leave.”

He continued, “I remember when your dad quit smokin’. Lucky Strike cigarettes went from 15 cents to a quarter a pack. He just stopped. Claimed your Mom wouldn’t give him the money to make up the difference. So he just quit.” 

We both laughed.

After visiting with other locals, I discovered there are enterprising young people who have moved to Cuba to escape the hustle and bustle of the Urban environment. They are active in Cuba Cares, a committee formed to encourage community renewal. Turns out this is the group responsible for the festive holiday lighting and lanterns on the square.

During this visit I also discovered a Subway restaurant had just opened. An article from the Canton Daily Ledger announcing it’s grand opening Friday, March 13, 2014. This just did not seem possible. 

Yes, renewal is a community project! It takes families, visitors, and business’ to make small town America thrive again. If you happen to pass through any midwestern community at breakfast or lunch look for the pickup trucks outside the Cafe on Main Street. The more trucks the better the coffee and the food. Or maybe you need gas for your car? You can’t miss the now ubiquitous Casey’s General Store. 

If you visit Cuba during the Spoon River Scenic Drive there are a wide variety of craft booths on the square. The library is a great place to learn about the history of Fulton county. Just across the street is the post office, another early morning gathering place to stop and chat with a friend or neighbor.

The more I looked for the good the better I felt about the seeds of renewal.

So, if you need a vacation and want to get away from freeways, the hustle and bustle of the city visit small town America. Step back in time, get out of your car, patronize the local establishments, simply smile and say hello to the friendly folks you meet on the street. They will return a smile and happily strike up a conversation with you. As Summer approaches don’t be surprised if it’s about baseball. If you listen carefully you might hear a game on a car radio. This is Cubs and Cardinals country.

I’m convinced, it is the contributions of energetic young people living in Cuba and small towns like it that will bring back these dynamic communities.


Maybe it is something as simple as Christmas lights on the square?

Comments

Patrick B. Ball said…
I was drawn To this particular blog post today after re-reading articles from The country doctor by James K. Welch MD if you haven’t had a chance to read it stop by the Spoon River library in Cuba Illinois and pick up a copy it’s worth the read.

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

Doc Welch - The Country Doctor

In this episode, Doc Welch . . . Many authors have characterized life in rural Illinois over the years. Among the more notables are Edgar Lee Masters, who wrote Spoon River Anthology, Carl Sandburg for his poetry and biography of Abraham Lincoln, and little known to me until recently, my first doctor, whom everyone in town always called Doc Welch - James K. Welch, M.D.  (Feb. 7, 1915, to May 5, 1998) While exploring the microfilm of the Cuba Journal (published from 1884 to 1992), I consistently kept running across articles entitled The Country Doctor. This intrigued me. Doc Welch was a third-generation practicing Country Doctor in Cuba for over 40 years. His father, James William Welch, M.D., practiced medicine in Cuba for more than five decades. His grandfather, James Knox Welch, M.D., settled in Cuba after the Civil War. Cuba, Illinois, is a small, rural farming community in west-central Illinois, where I grew up. Like many small towns, it boasts a central square with a ban...

The Rhythm of the Woodpecker

The morning in Vista often begins under a heavy, gray marine layer that rolls in from the coast, pressing a damp, muffled stillness over the neighborhood. At 4:30 a.m., the driveways are still full. The local commuters are either blissfully unconscious or stumbling blindly toward their showers, clinging desperately to their last shred of peace before the nine-to-five grind claims them for the day. I, on the other hand, am voluntarily wide awake in the dark. When your agenda consists of absolutely nothing, it is critical to get an early start. Inside the house, the quiet is profound, broken only by the sharp, mechanical click of the kettle as it reaches a rolling boil. I stand at the counter, watching the dark ground coffee bloom as hot water hits the French press's stainless steel. The smell is sudden and heavy—a deep, roasted-earth aroma that cuts through the morning fog. I push against the plunger’s gritty resistance, pouring a cup that radiates dark, stinging heat against my pal...