Skip to main content

Ask A Gemologist

Over the course of a career teaching gemology, students have asked me many questions that gemologists tend to take for granted. This hit home recently at a writers group meeting when I casually used the term refractive index in one of my fictional works and the question immediately came up, “What is refractive index?”

This brief column is devoted to you, the curious student. It is an opportunity to ask anything you ever wanted to know about gemology (within reason) but were afraid to ask. So let’s begin.

What does refractive index (R.I.) mean?

Gem-A Refractometer
The amount to which a gem slows light is called its refractive index (R.I.). R.I. is calculated by the ratio of the speed of light in air to its speed in a gem. It is one of the measurable properties that gemologists use to assist with a gemstone’s identification. 

For example, using your smartphone or computer, go to the computational database WolframAlpha. Type in “What is the speed of light in air?” The result is approximately 186,231 mi/s (miles per second). As light enters a transparent material it slows down based on how optically dense that material is. The speed of light in diamond is measured at 77,050 mi/s. When you divide the two you get the R.I. for diamond (2.417). This tells me that light travels 2.417 times faster in air than in diamond. Or light slows down 2.417 times because of diamonds optical density. Gemologists use a refractometer to measure this difference. However, instruments do have limitations.

What is Transvaal jade?

Transvaal jade, known in gemology as Hydrogrossular Garnet, may appear colorless, white, yellow, brown, red, or green. Greenish hydrogrossular garnet, though only outwardly resembling jade, is sometimes marketed under the name South African, or Transvaal, jade in an attempt to increase its selling price.

Typically green to bluish green. This translucent material may exhibit black, pepper-like inclusions. A skilled observer will look for a vitreous (glass-like) polish luster, uneven, granular, or splintery fracture with greasy to vitreous fracture luster. If you’re able to measure it’s refractive index (R.I.) typically you would got a 1.72. Nephrite or jadeite gives a solid 1.62 / 1.66 R.I. respectively. Practiced Jade experts identify quality jadeite simply by appearance and lustrous feel. See “A Jades Story”, Winter 2013 edition, WJA News San Diego.

If you’re a curious student and would like to ask questions please e-mail pball@sbcglobal.net. Or you can always find me on Twitter at pball001, on Facebook, or my blog, http://pball001.blogspot.com. 

“Satisfaction of one's curiosity is one of the greatest sources of happiness in life.” ~Dr. Linus Pauling

(This post appeared in Summer 2014 edition, WJA News San Diego)

Comments

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

Doc Welch - The Country Doctor

In this episode, Doc Welch . . . Many authors have characterized life in rural Illinois over the years. Among the more notables are Edgar Lee Masters, who wrote Spoon River Anthology, Carl Sandburg for his poetry and biography of Abraham Lincoln, and little known to me until recently, my first doctor, whom everyone in town always called Doc Welch - James K. Welch, M.D.  (Feb. 7, 1915, to May 5, 1998) While exploring the microfilm of the Cuba Journal (published from 1884 to 1992), I consistently kept running across articles entitled The Country Doctor. This intrigued me. Doc Welch was a third-generation practicing Country Doctor in Cuba for over 40 years. His father, James William Welch, M.D., practiced medicine in Cuba for more than five decades. His grandfather, James Knox Welch, M.D., settled in Cuba after the Civil War. Cuba, Illinois, is a small, rural farming community in west-central Illinois, where I grew up. Like many small towns, it boasts a central square with a ban...

The Rhythm of the Woodpecker

The morning in Vista often begins under a heavy, gray marine layer that rolls in from the coast, pressing a damp, muffled stillness over the neighborhood. At 4:30 a.m., the driveways are still full. The local commuters are either blissfully unconscious or stumbling blindly toward their showers, clinging desperately to their last shred of peace before the nine-to-five grind claims them for the day. I, on the other hand, am voluntarily wide awake in the dark. When your agenda consists of absolutely nothing, it is critical to get an early start. Inside the house, the quiet is profound, broken only by the sharp, mechanical click of the kettle as it reaches a rolling boil. I stand at the counter, watching the dark ground coffee bloom as hot water hits the French press's stainless steel. The smell is sudden and heavy—a deep, roasted-earth aroma that cuts through the morning fog. I push against the plunger’s gritty resistance, pouring a cup that radiates dark, stinging heat against my pal...