Skip to main content

My First Bicycle

Patrick Ball 1962
My kid days were filled with experiences, like learning to ride a bicycle, that decorate my thoughts akin to the excitement of colorfully wrapped Christmas gifts.

As another birthday approaches, I realize now that growing up in Cuba, Illinois was going to happen with no particular thought or effort on my part. As an insatiably curious child, I stumbled through those early years not really paying attention to where we lived just accepting the fact - as I look back, appreciating the fact - we lived in a small midwestern town.

I slid down the chute on the 229th day of the year, August 16, 1956. It was a Thursday in Angouleme, France. My father was an MP in the U.S. Army, from rural Illinois, and within three years he moved the family back to Cuba.

One of my most vivid early memories was the challenge and freedom of that first bicycle. It was a red, single speed 26 inch Sears bicycle. No training wheels, just hop on and away you go . . . well, it was not quite that easy.

At seven years old, and about three feet tall this behemoth, looked to me like the General Sherman, it was huge. Determined, that did not dampen my spirit to ride it. Lowering the the seat it was possible to reach the pedals with toes extended, however not quite enough to complete a revolution of the crank to power the bike. Dads theory was . . . “He’ll grow into it,” in the mean time, he bolted thick wooden blocks to the pedals so I could reach them and ride. 


Ronnie, Patrick, & Rodger
My next challenge . . . how to mount this monster? No problem - just kidding - it was a problem. When Dad was there to hold the bike I would climb aboard like scaling a ladder. By myself, hmmm, there must be a way. Our house, on seventh street, had a wooden back porch with two steps about two feet off the ground. My (brilliant) solution, stand the bike beside the porch, mount it, and push off, whee - now what? Once in motion, floundering around the yard, the next dilemma was how to dismount? After falling more times that I dare count, the answer came in a flash of clever insight. When I wanted to stop, without falling, simply ride into the lilac bush and climb off! It worked like a charm, however that didn't go over too well with Mom. She finally relented when she realized the only other way to stop was to fall over.

During the 60's, kids were not adorned with helmets and knee pads as they are today. It was the middle of the baby boom, I guess there were so many of us we were considered expendable. Or, maybe is was the lack of creative marketing by the toy manufactures? Anyway, it was some time before I was allowed to go out onto the street. Then, it was around the block, uptown, to school, and a few years later I was riding to Canton and back, a 18 mile (29 kilometer) round trip (Ask Bruce Marshall some time about riding to Canton - that’s another story).

Since that time however, me and my many different makes and models of bicycles have traveled to scores of locations, and ridden hundreds of miles, far beyond the quiet streets of that small town in Illinois. That curiosity and sense of wonder never left me. Today, from those early beginnings, my bike still symbolizes independent transportation and freedom.

Ah, Summer! Do you have an early memory of your first bicycle?

Comments

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

Doc Welch - The Country Doctor

In this episode, Doc Welch . . . Many authors have characterized life in rural Illinois over the years. Among the more notables are Edgar Lee Masters, who wrote Spoon River Anthology, Carl Sandburg for his poetry and biography of Abraham Lincoln, and little known to me until recently, my first doctor, whom everyone in town always called Doc Welch - James K. Welch, M.D.  (Feb. 7, 1915, to May 5, 1998) While exploring the microfilm of the Cuba Journal (published from 1884 to 1992), I consistently kept running across articles entitled The Country Doctor. This intrigued me. Doc Welch was a third-generation practicing Country Doctor in Cuba for over 40 years. His father, James William Welch, M.D., practiced medicine in Cuba for more than five decades. His grandfather, James Knox Welch, M.D., settled in Cuba after the Civil War. Cuba, Illinois, is a small, rural farming community in west-central Illinois, where I grew up. Like many small towns, it boasts a central square with a ban...

Vintage Vinyl

In this episode - Vintage Vinyl . . . Turntables are making a big comeback; why? Listening to music should be a multi-sensory experience. Harmony, rhythm, and the deep expression of emotion. Like a warm, gentle rain in the springtime cascading around you the room is filled with a resonant, rich, melodic sound. My emotions welled up, and tears come to my eyes. Ok, I get it, we need to step back to get some perspective here. Recently a visit to Lou's Records in Encinitas, California, inspired me to dig out my Vintage vinyl LP record collection. I selected the Carpenters Singles 1969- 1973 . This musical duo reigned from 1969-to 1982 with the rich, full melodic voice of Karen Carpenter. They were one of the biggest-selling groups of the 1970s. "No fewer than ten of their singles went on to become million-sellers, and by 2005 combined worldwide sales of albums and singles well exceeded 100 million units." The tactile sensory experience of music begins with the album cover it...