Skip to main content

Overcooking the Grid

In this episode, terrified of smart toasters, yet demanding infinite electricity for potato personality tests.

Pull up that chair again, and let’s hope your coffee is safe this time.

In our last chat, we talked about our well-meaning but occasionally delusional AI friend, Chef Adamas, and his penchant for hallucinating blueberries into your Carbonara. We learned how to manage his quirks by keeping our “digital pantry” organized. But today, we need to look past the chef and take a hard look at the sheer size of the kitchen we are building for him.

And folks, that kitchen has gotten completely out of hand.

Down in Louisiana, tech companies are currently building an artificial intelligence data center the size of 70 football fields. It is a four-million-square-foot digital brain that requires so much electricity they are building three new natural gas power plants just to keep the servers from literally melting down into a puddle of expensive silicon.

And what are we using this god-like, 2-gigawatt computing power for? Are we unlocking the secrets of the universe? Curing diseases? Exploring the cosmos?

No. We are using 2 gigawatts of power so @TheCuratedCrumb can post a 45-minute livestream of his sourdough starter bubbling, and refresh his feed every three seconds to see if he finally broke 14 "likes."

Somewhere in America, the aging, patched, electric grid is sweating, deciding whether to keep the traffic lights working on Main Street or process the 8,000th AI-generated image of a cat riding a skateboard that Aunt Susan just "hearted."

The Paranoia Paradox

It is a bizarre paradox to witness. We have access to the most magnificent tool for education, knowledge, and wonder ever conceived by human minds, yet we use it like toddlers who were just handed the keys to a Ferrari.

On one hand, we have folks who are absolutely terrified of the technology. They are convinced the government is using their smart toaster to spy on them, certain that black helicopters will swoop down because they Googled "how to install a Ring doorbell." Yet, these same people will willingly upload their entire life story, their DNA profile, and the exact GPS coordinates of their morning walk to a multinational corporation just to find out which type of potato best matches their personality.

The Digital Pulpit

Then, of course, we have the folks who treat their social media feed like a digital pulpit. They will use this incredibly advanced, energy-devouring network to blast out a poorly cropped Bible verse about the virtues of a humble, righteous life—and then immediately tab over to a sports betting app to throw next month's rent on a four-team parlay for Sunday’s football games.

We are a society completely out of our league, feeding a multi-billion-dollar machine not with our curiosity, but with our egos, our paranoia, and our desperate need for validation.

The Bill Always Comes Due

We are demanding infinite power for trivial pursuits. Completely disconnected from the physical reality of what it takes to keep the lights on. So, the next time the power goes out during a storm, and you’re sitting in the dark, furious that you can’t charge your phone to complain about the outage on Facebook... just remember Chef Adamas.

He's out there in his four-million-square-foot kitchen, taking a much-needed break from processing your neighbor's 5,000th picture of their dinner.

Before we go, what is the most ridiculous, energy-wasting thing you’ve caught yourself doing on your smartphone this week? Leave a comment below, and let’s laugh at ourselves together.

I’m Patrick Ball. Stay curious, ask better questions. See you next time.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hello bonjour à vous deux de notre île calme pour le moment ..mais les vacances commencent aujourd’hui .je continue de lire des textes .gros bisous de nous tous 🇫🇷🇫🇷💋💋💚💚

Most Popular of All Time

Morning Coffee

In this episode, Morning Coffee . . . Now, I’m not saying everyone needs coffee. Some folks get by just fine on, I don’t know, sunlight and positive thinking. Me? I’m pretty sure I started drinking the stuff sometime around the Reagan administration. Reading John Gierach’s "Ode to Campfire Coffee" in Trout Bum (a book that should be required reading for anyone who sees sleeping on the ground as recreation) got me thinking about how we’ve managed to complicate something as fundamentally simple as boiling water and adding grounds. Taste, you say? Look, black coffee is an acquired taste, like tequila or cilantro. I just don’t get it. Gierach, bless his heart, mostly drinks his java streamside, probably while wearing wool socks and waders and contemplating the mysteries of the universe. As for me? My outdoor coffee experience is a bit different. Picture this: the High Sierra, where campfires are banned (to avoid agitating Smoky Bear), and I’m huddled over a Whisperlite , coax...

A B+ Kind of Life

Welcome back to this week's On the Fly . Retirement has taught me something unexpected: life gets a lot more enjoyable when you stop chasing perfection. Lately, I've been having an absolute blast playing executive par-3 courses like Rancho Carlsbad . A short iron, a sunny morning, and nowhere to be except the next tee—that's my kind of day. This Thursday, though, I'm raising the stakes. I'm heading to The Links at Lakehouse in San Marcos, a full-size par-71 course with enough water hazards to keep the local fish well-stocked with my golf balls. After shooting a 64 on a par-3 course, I've set myself a new goal: shoot an 89 before my birthday next August. Why 89? Because on a par-71 course, that's bogey golf—one extra stroke per hole. For non-golfers, think of it this way: par is like earning 100% on a final exam. Bogey golf is a solid B+. You got the job done, learned something, and probably had a lot more fun getting there. The older I get, the more I appre...

The Endless Work of Wisdom

It always makes me smile. The moment people learn I've officially entered what I like to call the Great Un-Working (retirement), they almost immediately ask the same question: “So . . . What do you do now?" I think they're expecting me to say I'm restoring a vintage sports car, hiking the John Muir Trail, or finally becoming fluent in French.   Instead, I tell them: "I live life deliberately." That's usually the point when I get a polite nod, followed by the unmistakable look of someone wondering whether I've simply found a more sophisticated way to say, “I’m becoming a bum.” Apparently, "living deliberately" sounds suspiciously like unemployment, just better branding. The truth is, what living deliberately looks like for me right now is taking time to synthesize a lifetime of experiences into these weekly reflections. It's slowing down long enough to ask what those experiences have taught me, while keeping the door wide open to the poss...

A Tucson Typewriter Tale

One of the great joys of wandering without much of a plan is that the universe occasionally rewards your lack of organization. During my recent visit to Tucson, AZ, Robert and I were strolling through the Annex this afternoon, doing what tourists and newly minted retirees like me have elevated to an Olympic sport: meandering. The Annex is one of those places where every few steps there's another handmade candle, artisan coffee, or vintage object someone rescued from a garage sale and convinced the rest of us was always destined to become art. Then I saw something that genuinely stopped me. A young woman standing quietly behind a manual typewriter. Not a laptop designed to look like a typewriter. Not a quirky Bluetooth keyboard. An honest-to-goodness mechanical typewriter—the sort of machine that once announced every sentence to the entire office with a satisfying clack and enough force to wake nearby pigeons. With an iPhone 16 sitting in my pocket in an age when people write novels...