Skip to main content

The View from the Running Board

In this episode, Why the 'Stupid' Choice Was the Only One That Mattered.

It was the summer of 1982. I was on my knees in the humid Illinois heat, waxing the fender of a restored 1932 Plymouth Coupe.

To the passerby on the Macomb Square, I looked like a failure. Here was a guy who had studied physics, computer programming, and calculus, now sweating through his shirt as a "gopher" for Bob Melton.

And Bob? Bob was an event.

Picture a man who dressed like one of Red Skelton’s characters—not the monologue version, but the sketch comedy version. We’re talking a sport coat, clashing slacks, a tie wide enough to land a plane on, and white shoes. His wife was the fashion queen of Macomb; Bob was, shall we say, not the fashion king.

He was the wealthiest man in town, a lawyer, and a "lovable character" with a well-known thirst. At Christmas, while other shops played "Silent Night," Bob blasted Louis Armstrong’s raspy jazz trumpet through the toy store speakers.

If you asked me then if I was winning at life, I would have hesitated. But looking back from my retirement in California, that was the moment my real education began.

The Physics of Integrity

My path started normally enough. Spoon River College, then Western Illinois University in ’76. I was ready to conquer the world of physics.

I loved the lab. I loved the theory. I hated the paperwork.

In my senior year, a backlog of lab reports piled up. The class panicked and spiraled into a "copying ring." Everyone agreed to fake the data to pass. They asked me to join.

I refused. I had built the apparatus; I knew the science. I wasn't going to fake the paper. I turned in honest, incomplete work.

They passed. I failed.

That "F" cost me my scholarship. I spent the summer fighting for a "B+" in Differential Equations that felt like a Nobel Prize, but the damage was done. My academic track was derailed.

The "Stupid" Choice

By 1981, I had rebounded with a factory management offer in Chicago. Secure. Respectable. Boring.

I turned it down to sell toys for the guy in the white shoes.

People said, "You could make more on unemployment than working for Meltons!" They saw a step down. I saw a clean slate. I refused to be a cog in a machine. I’d rather sell bicycles and Cabbage Patch Kids—which were about to turn the retail world into a war zone—where I could be myself.

Lunch Counter vs. Supper Club

That brings me back to waxing that Plymouth. I wasn't doing it because I was subservient. I was doing it because beneath the loud tie and the "closet drunk" rumors, Bob was deeply lonely.

I became his surrogate son.

Our days had a rhythm. At noon, we’d grab a loose-meat sandwich at the Maid-Rite, sitting on stools. Bob liked it there; he could hide in plain sight.

But for late lunches, we’d hit the Macomb Dining Company around the corner from his jewelry store, The Diamond Den. We’d slide into a booth after the rush. The lights were low. Over steaks or catfish, the mood shifted.

I watched him hold court. I saw how business was really conducted—not in a textbook, but in a nod to a waitress and a handshake at the table. We’d stroll the Square, inspecting window displays. He was a retail genius disguised as a character actor.

In return, he gave me the keys to the kingdom. He took me to Chicago to buy inventory, introduced me to the gem trade, and paid for my first GIA seminar.

He taught me that humility isn't weakness. It’s a power move.

The Next Mountain

Listening to the speeches at Rev. Jesse Jackson’s memorial this week—former presidents Obama, Biden, and Reverend Sharpton—I was struck by a line: "We didn't come this far to turn around now."

That resonates with this kid from Cuba, Illinois. I’ve reinvented myself from the physics lab to the toy store, from diamonds to solar. Now, I’m facing my next mountain.

I’m writing my book.

I’m compiling over 400 of these stories into a memoir. It’s daunting. Some days I feel like that student staring at a pile of unfinished lab reports.

But I remember Bob's lesson: The path isn't always straight, and the "smart" move isn't always the right one.

To anyone reading this who feels stuck on the running board, waxing someone else's car: Keep going.

Your integrity is your currency. Your empathy is your strength. And if you’re willing to do the work others won't, you’ll find that God—and your own potential—isn't finished with you yet.

I’m Patrick Ball. Stay curious and ask better questions. See you next time.

Comments

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

The Rhythm of the Woodpecker

The morning in Vista often begins under a heavy, gray marine layer that rolls in from the coast, pressing a damp, muffled stillness over the neighborhood. At 4:30 a.m., the driveways are still full. The local commuters are either blissfully unconscious or stumbling blindly toward their showers, clinging desperately to their last shred of peace before the nine-to-five grind claims them for the day. I, on the other hand, am voluntarily wide awake in the dark. When your agenda consists of absolutely nothing, it is critical to get an early start. Inside the house, the quiet is profound, broken only by the sharp, mechanical click of the kettle as it reaches a rolling boil. I stand at the counter, watching the dark ground coffee bloom as hot water hits the French press's stainless steel. The smell is sudden and heavy—a deep, roasted-earth aroma that cuts through the morning fog. I push against the plunger’s gritty resistance, pouring a cup that radiates dark, stinging heat against my pal...

How to Horrify a Professional Skeptic

Today’s " Professional Skeptic"  knows exactly how retirement is supposed to unfold: you lose your job, your identity, and your purpose. Within months, you're complaining about restaurant portions and detailing your blood pressure to strangers in line at the post office. For a generation distrustful of leaders, convinced the future is a rigged game, a peaceful retirement is an outdated myth. The working world expects you to stay “on the hook.” Former bosses are quick to ask, “Can we call you? What are your consulting fees?” So, just for fun, picture a deeply suspicious, invisible observer lurking in my kitchen. Let's call him Captain Content. The Captain doesn't wear a top hat or wring bony fingers. Instead, imagine a younger guy glued to his smartphone, heavily caffeinated, and entirely convinced the system is broken. He live-streams my morning routine to his echo chamber while on a conference call with 48 attendees on his second phone, waiting for the inevitabl...