Skip to main content

When Fear Becomes the Default

In this special episode, When Fear Becomes the Default.

Early Sunday morning, I was cycling past a small veterans’ pocket park in San Marcos. The air was still, the streets nearly empty. On one corner stood a young woman, alone, holding a hand-painted sign that read: “Be ANGRY. ICE agents are murdering people.”

I pedaled past, but the words stayed with me. I knew the context—the footage and headlines from Minneapolis the day before, already ricocheting through the country and hardening opinions. Even in the quiet of the ride, the noise followed.

Two miles later, I stopped at a red light. A black car with dark windows pulled up inches from my bike. My heart jumped. My first instinct wasn’t neighbor—it was threat. I found myself bracing, scanning, and wondering if the person inside was angry, armed, or looking for trouble.

Then the door opened.

A well-dressed young woman stepped out, walked to the trunk, and pulled out a sign that read “Open House.” She turned, smiled brightly, and said, “How are you this morning?”

I smiled back, feeling an unexpected rush of relief—and a twinge of embarrassment. “I’m just fine,” I said. “And you?”

The Numbness We Carry

That moment stayed with me longer than the ride itself. Why had I been so quick to assume the worst?

The answer came later while watching Jimmy Kimmel Live. His voice cracked as he spoke about the shooting in Minneapolis, about being told by those in power that “we aren’t seeing what we clearly see.” He spoke of a baseline of decency—a time when human life was mourned first, before it was sorted into political bins.

When violence becomes a constant background noise, we adapt. We build a shell to get through the day. Numbness feels like protection, but it quietly rewires us. We begin to see danger at every intersection, suspicion in every stranger, because it feels like the moral floor has dropped out from under us.

I wasn’t afraid because of that woman in the park or the driver in the car. I was afraid because I’ve been conditioned by the media to expect the worst.

Reclaiming Our Humanity

The hopeful moments weren’t in any headline. They were small and easy to miss. They were in the young woman standing alone in the park, refusing to be indifferent to a life lost 1,500 miles away. And they were in the real estate agent who reminded me—with nothing more than a smile and a greeting—that most people are still just living their lives and wishing each other well.

Kimmel said that speaking up is how we defend our decency. He’s right. But that intersection reminded me of something quieter and just as important: speaking up also means checking our own hearts. It means resisting the reflex to let fear decide who we think people are.

Once we stop feeling the weight of a life lost, we lose the very freedom we think we are protecting.

We are all carrying a lot right now. When was the last time a simple, ordinary interaction reminded you that we are more than the headlines we read?

I’m Patrick Ball. Stay observant. This is one of those moments when paying attention—and speaking up—still matters.

Comments

Don Hanley said…
An excellent reminder Patrick of how we are easily conditioned to be fearful so easily.
Anonymous said…
Patrick, this is Ed Coonce, I'm on BlueSky and Threads/Instagram as @coonceed
Thank your for this reminder. I, also, am apprehensive and watchful. The times, they are a changing. We, the people will prevail.

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

The Rhythm of the Woodpecker

The morning in Vista often begins under a heavy, gray marine layer that rolls in from the coast, pressing a damp, muffled stillness over the neighborhood. At 4:30 a.m., the driveways are still full. The local commuters are either blissfully unconscious or stumbling blindly toward their showers, clinging desperately to their last shred of peace before the nine-to-five grind claims them for the day. I, on the other hand, am voluntarily wide awake in the dark. When your agenda consists of absolutely nothing, it is critical to get an early start. Inside the house, the quiet is profound, broken only by the sharp, mechanical click of the kettle as it reaches a rolling boil. I stand at the counter, watching the dark ground coffee bloom as hot water hits the French press's stainless steel. The smell is sudden and heavy—a deep, roasted-earth aroma that cuts through the morning fog. I push against the plunger’s gritty resistance, pouring a cup that radiates dark, stinging heat against my pal...

How to Horrify a Professional Skeptic

Today’s " Professional Skeptic"  knows exactly how retirement is supposed to unfold: you lose your job, your identity, and your purpose. Within months, you're complaining about restaurant portions and detailing your blood pressure to strangers in line at the post office. For a generation distrustful of leaders, convinced the future is a rigged game, a peaceful retirement is an outdated myth. The working world expects you to stay “on the hook.” Former bosses are quick to ask, “Can we call you? What are your consulting fees?” So, just for fun, picture a deeply suspicious, invisible observer lurking in my kitchen. Let's call him Captain Content. The Captain doesn't wear a top hat or wring bony fingers. Instead, imagine a younger guy glued to his smartphone, heavily caffeinated, and entirely convinced the system is broken. He live-streams my morning routine to his echo chamber while on a conference call with 48 attendees on his second phone, waiting for the inevitabl...