Skip to main content

Stop Buying Rory’s Ball

⛳️ In this episode, why your Ego is costing you 5 strokes a round.

I spent last weekend watching the Pebble Beach Pro-Am from the comfort of my La-Z-Boy recliner. It’s a beautiful spectacle. The cliffs, the ocean, the guys whose swing speeds sound like a fighter jet breaking the sound barrier. And during every commercial break, a very serious voiceover tells me that to play like a pro, I need to buy the ball the pros play.

They make a compelling argument. They show slick slow-motion footage of a golf ball compressing against a clubface like a stress ball in a vise grip, then exploding down the fairway.

Here is the uncomfortable truth that gravity whispered in my ear somewhere around my 65th birthday:

I’m not Rory McIlroy.

And if you are reading this, statistically speaking, neither are you.

The Physics of the Squish

When a pro hits a “Tour-level” ball, they swing upwards of 115+ mph (Rory 123 mph). They possess the violence necessary to squish that incredibly hard little sphere. That squish creates the spring. When I swing at that same ball with my “respectable for a guy chasing 70” swing speed, the ball does not squish. It laughs. It feels like hitting a river rock with a broom handle. No squish. No spring. Sadness ensues.

Golf at our age isn’t about power; it’s about negotiating with physics. And the first rule of negotiation is: Never bluff when you’re holding a pair of twos.

We need soft (golf) balls. We need low compression. We need marshmallows that think they are trampolines.

Brand Loyalty

Before I get to the physics recommendations, a note on my own quirky methodology. I like my golf ball brand to match my iron brand. Currently, I play TaylorMade Burner irons. So, I almost exclusively play TaylorMade golf balls. To keep it practical, I buy the cheapest TaylorMade golf balls.

Is this because of some synergistic aerodynamic engineering between the clubhead and the dimple pattern? Perhaps. But mostly, it’s because when four senior citizens walk up to four white balls in the fairway, three of them are usually playing a Titleist—or here in Carlsbad, a Callaway—that they found in the weeds on hole 4. If I see a TaylorMade logo, I know it’s mine (usually). It’s one less thing my brain has to process while I’m trying to remember how to chip.

The Negotiating with Physics Toolkit

Based on my recent dives into the rabbit hole of low-compression technology (and a recent Valentine’s Day upgrade for my wife, Lori), here is my real-world guide to golf balls that actually work for swings under 90 mph.

1. The Anti-Gravity Machine: Callaway REVA

We just upgraded Lori from 30-year-old clubs to a modern Callaway REVA set. Naturally, we got the matching golf balls. Well, after some research.

The physics here are simple: This ball is slightly oversized. You can barely tell, but that extra volume raises the center of gravity. It wants to go up. If your shots look like low line drives that get eaten by the rough, this is the antidote. It’s soft, it flies high, and it lands softly.

2. The Green-Stopper: TaylorMade Soft Response

I’m making this my current gamer. It matches my irons (see above quirk), but more importantly, it matches my home course.

We play a par-3 course with greens shaped like upside-down cereal bowls. If you land a hard “Tour” ball on them, it rolls into the parking lot.

This ball is unique because it’s soft (low compression for the squish) and has three layers. That extra middle layer helps create spin with short irons. It’s the brakes I need to actually hold a green.

3. The Summer Alignment Trick: Titleist Tour Soft AIM

I have a goal to shoot 70 by the time I turn 70 this August. That goal will live or die on the putting green.

When the weather warms up and the greens get fast, I may switch to the Titleist Tour Soft. It’s a little firmer (more of a “click” when you putt), but I’m trying the “AIM” version. It has a giant, bold alignment track wrapped around the side. I crouch behind it, aim the stripe at the hole, and then I stop thinking. I just trust the line. It turns putting from an art project into a geometry equation.

Now I know what you’re thinking, Physics, right–that’s all theoretical–performing is what matters, so we’ll see.

Here’s the takeaway: the next time you’re watching a tournament and an ad tells you to buy the #1 Ball in Golf, remember: That ball is designed for a 25-year-old athlete with the rotational speed of a centrifuge.

Be kind to your joints. Be realistic about your swing speed. Buy a softer golf ball.

Gravity doesn’t care what brand you play, but it respects physics.

I’m Patrick Ball. Stay curious, ask questions. See you on the course (I’ll be the one trying to hit a home run to left field).

Comments

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

Doc Welch - The Country Doctor

In this episode, Doc Welch . . . Many authors have characterized life in rural Illinois over the years. Among the more notables are Edgar Lee Masters, who wrote Spoon River Anthology, Carl Sandburg for his poetry and biography of Abraham Lincoln, and little known to me until recently, my first doctor, whom everyone in town always called Doc Welch - James K. Welch, M.D.  (Feb. 7, 1915, to May 5, 1998) While exploring the microfilm of the Cuba Journal (published from 1884 to 1992), I consistently kept running across articles entitled The Country Doctor. This intrigued me. Doc Welch was a third-generation practicing Country Doctor in Cuba for over 40 years. His father, James William Welch, M.D., practiced medicine in Cuba for more than five decades. His grandfather, James Knox Welch, M.D., settled in Cuba after the Civil War. Cuba, Illinois, is a small, rural farming community in west-central Illinois, where I grew up. Like many small towns, it boasts a central square with a ban...

The Rhythm of the Woodpecker

The morning in Vista often begins under a heavy, gray marine layer that rolls in from the coast, pressing a damp, muffled stillness over the neighborhood. At 4:30 a.m., the driveways are still full. The local commuters are either blissfully unconscious or stumbling blindly toward their showers, clinging desperately to their last shred of peace before the nine-to-five grind claims them for the day. I, on the other hand, am voluntarily wide awake in the dark. When your agenda consists of absolutely nothing, it is critical to get an early start. Inside the house, the quiet is profound, broken only by the sharp, mechanical click of the kettle as it reaches a rolling boil. I stand at the counter, watching the dark ground coffee bloom as hot water hits the French press's stainless steel. The smell is sudden and heavy—a deep, roasted-earth aroma that cuts through the morning fog. I push against the plunger’s gritty resistance, pouring a cup that radiates dark, stinging heat against my pal...