Skip to main content

Night Before Christmas

In this episode, Night Before Christmas . . . 
(In the spirit of Edgar Albert Guest)

I’ve wrestled with the tangled lights the way I always do—
With just enough patience left to see the project through.
I climb the ladder carefully; the years have taught me how.
To take my time with every step and keep a steady brow.

We hang the faded ornaments I’ve known since I was small, the chipped, the cracked, the tilted ones—I love them best of all.
Santa’s lost a bit of paint, the stars’ leaning right, but oh, it casts a holy glow across the room tonight.

The kitchen hums with activity, with laughter, and with cheer,
as voices drift like echoes from a long-forgotten year.
The floor is strewn with paper scraps, the clock is ticking slow,
As Christmas finds its own sweet pace and sets our house aglow.

The hallway grows a little still; the lights are dimmed, and low,
Small shoes are lined in messy pairs to wait for morning’s snow.
The fire's warm, the room is full, the world is deep and wide,
and someone brings a cherished book and settles by my side.

I clear my throat. The children gather ‘round my chair,
With eyes that hold a thousand dreams and wonder everywhere.
“’Twas the night before Christmas…”—I have read it many years,
Yet every time the magic starts, it brings me close to tears.

For Christmas isn’t in the things we polish or prepare,
It lives in moments handed down and hearts that choose to share.
So here’s to every grandfather who reads by firelight—
You help the years hold hands awhile . . . on Christmas Eve tonight.

I’m Patrick Ball. Stay curious, ask questions. See you in the next episode.

Where is Santa right now?

Comments

Patrick B. Ball said…
My new listeners may ask, who is Edgar Albert Guest? Click the link in the blog post (In the spirit of Edgar Albert Guest) to find out.
Don Hanley said…
wELL written, my friend!

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

The Rhythm of the Woodpecker

The morning in Vista often begins under a heavy, gray marine layer that rolls in from the coast, pressing a damp, muffled stillness over the neighborhood. At 4:30 a.m., the driveways are still full. The local commuters are either blissfully unconscious or stumbling blindly toward their showers, clinging desperately to their last shred of peace before the nine-to-five grind claims them for the day. I, on the other hand, am voluntarily wide awake in the dark. When your agenda consists of absolutely nothing, it is critical to get an early start. Inside the house, the quiet is profound, broken only by the sharp, mechanical click of the kettle as it reaches a rolling boil. I stand at the counter, watching the dark ground coffee bloom as hot water hits the French press's stainless steel. The smell is sudden and heavy—a deep, roasted-earth aroma that cuts through the morning fog. I push against the plunger’s gritty resistance, pouring a cup that radiates dark, stinging heat against my pal...

How to Horrify a Professional Skeptic

Today’s " Professional Skeptic"  knows exactly how retirement is supposed to unfold: you lose your job, your identity, and your purpose. Within months, you're complaining about restaurant portions and detailing your blood pressure to strangers in line at the post office. For a generation distrustful of leaders, convinced the future is a rigged game, a peaceful retirement is an outdated myth. The working world expects you to stay “on the hook.” Former bosses are quick to ask, “Can we call you? What are your consulting fees?” So, just for fun, picture a deeply suspicious, invisible observer lurking in my kitchen. Let's call him Captain Content. The Captain doesn't wear a top hat or wring bony fingers. Instead, imagine a younger guy glued to his smartphone, heavily caffeinated, and entirely convinced the system is broken. He live-streams my morning routine to his echo chamber while on a conference call with 48 attendees on his second phone, waiting for the inevitabl...