Skip to main content

Patience: the Only First-Class Ticket

In this episode, Patience: the Only First-Class Ticket

They say travel broadens the mind.

After eight days sailing the Rhône with 140 fellow luxury vacationers, I can confirm it also tests patience, calf strength, buffet strategy, and one's tolerance for people furious that France insists on being French.

Don't get me wrong—I adored this trip. The river shimmered like liquid optimism. The villages looked hand-painted. The pastries could negotiate world peace.
But somewhere between Ship Horn Hello and Bon Voyage, we'd inadvertently boarded a floating behavioral research study disguised as a holiday. Our ship was less a cruise and more a ferry for the Sailors of Status.
Some passengers approached relaxation like yogis. Others treated leisure like a final exam with extra credit. I came to believe certain luxury watches emit ultrasonic signals that only their owners can detect. A frequency calibrated to trigger rapid movement toward any line forming for any reason. I saw more Rolex watches in a week than I've seen all year.

"The doors to dinner will open in 10 minutes . . ."

WHOOSH!

They were off—charging toward tranquility at competitive speeds, their $25,000 chronographs precisely measuring how quickly they could unwind. The great irony is that these travelers, who can afford to take time off and explore the world, seem to have the least amount of time to spare.

Friends, the buffet was not a meal. It was a pilgrimage with priority seating rules, advancing tactics, and emotional stakes.

You haven't truly lived until you've witnessed a grown adult execute a geopolitical negotiation over the final pain au chocolat.

Somewhere onboard, I'm convinced there was a spreadsheet ranking passengers by their strategic napkin deployment and pastry acquisition efficiency. This wasn't luxury dining; it was a competition of scarcity.

Then came the excursions—beautiful small towns where geraniums tumble from window boxes and church bells provide the soundtrack. Everything was perfect until the announcements began.

In French. In France. Nonetheless. . . 

The indignation was swift and genuine.

"Why can't they speak English?" someone sighed, tapping their foot aggressively in loafers.

Another passenger, arms crossed, whispered the rallying cry of international tourism: "It would be so much more authentic . . . if I could understand it."

I realized then: we hadn't come to France to immerse ourselves in French culture. Many had come to test whether France would perform for them.

Here's the thing about (luxury) this kind of travel:

You can sprint for the first seat on the bus, or you can stroll on later and enjoy the fresh air. You can race to the front of every experience, or you can drift in gently and actually experience it.

Because after the elbows retract, the lines dissolve, and the watch-face glow subsides, the truth remains:

  • The view is the same.
  • The croissant tastes identical.
  • And French will continue to be spoken aggressively well in France.

Luxury is not measured in proximity to the front; it is measured in distance from the frenzy.

Next time, I'll be easy to spot: I'll board after the Bus Access Olympic qualifiers conclude. I'll smile at the hustle and bustle, then stroll the other direction.

I'll remember that travel isn't a checkpoint—it's a souvenir you carry quietly in your bones because the greatest upgrade available on any itinerary is not priority seating. It's patience.

First-class, fully rechargeable, and—unfortunately for some—not sold in boutiques.

I'm Patrick Ball. Stay curious, ask questions. It's Great to be home!

Comments

Don Hanley said…
Patrick - this is delightful - thank you - reminds me of Patty C.

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

Doc Welch - The Country Doctor

In this episode, Doc Welch . . . Many authors have characterized life in rural Illinois over the years. Among the more notables are Edgar Lee Masters, who wrote Spoon River Anthology, Carl Sandburg for his poetry and biography of Abraham Lincoln, and little known to me until recently, my first doctor, whom everyone in town always called Doc Welch - James K. Welch, M.D.  (Feb. 7, 1915, to May 5, 1998) While exploring the microfilm of the Cuba Journal (published from 1884 to 1992), I consistently kept running across articles entitled The Country Doctor. This intrigued me. Doc Welch was a third-generation practicing Country Doctor in Cuba for over 40 years. His father, James William Welch, M.D., practiced medicine in Cuba for more than five decades. His grandfather, James Knox Welch, M.D., settled in Cuba after the Civil War. Cuba, Illinois, is a small, rural farming community in west-central Illinois, where I grew up. Like many small towns, it boasts a central square with a ban...

The Rhythm of the Woodpecker

The morning in Vista often begins under a heavy, gray marine layer that rolls in from the coast, pressing a damp, muffled stillness over the neighborhood. At 4:30 a.m., the driveways are still full. The local commuters are either blissfully unconscious or stumbling blindly toward their showers, clinging desperately to their last shred of peace before the nine-to-five grind claims them for the day. I, on the other hand, am voluntarily wide awake in the dark. When your agenda consists of absolutely nothing, it is critical to get an early start. Inside the house, the quiet is profound, broken only by the sharp, mechanical click of the kettle as it reaches a rolling boil. I stand at the counter, watching the dark ground coffee bloom as hot water hits the French press's stainless steel. The smell is sudden and heavy—a deep, roasted-earth aroma that cuts through the morning fog. I push against the plunger’s gritty resistance, pouring a cup that radiates dark, stinging heat against my pal...