Skip to main content

Journey to Avignon (Part II)

🇫🇷 Lost in Transition: Our Journey to Avignon (Part II)

When plans derail, sometimes the story gets better.

"Mais attendez… peut-être…" the agent murmured, fingers flying across her keyboard. Lori and I leaned in, holding our breath. She frowned, typed again, then sighed.

"With this disruption, all trains have been rerouted—and they're already full."

We exchanged glances. Around us, the Gare de Lyon pulsed with energy: travelers clutching tickets, voices echoing, the scent of exasperation drifting through the chaos. It felt like the entire station had been swept into the same storm of confusion.

Just then, another, older agent appeared beside us. He spoke in clipped, military French. "Where are you coming from? Did you miss your connection because of the incident—the acte de vandalisme?"

We both began to explain, recounting the wrong station, the Metro dash, the missed train—but before we could start, our first agent leaned close, her eyes wide with urgency, and whispered in a conspiratorial tone:

"Juste dites oui. That's all. Just say yes."

So we did.

All around us, voices rose—people pleading, waving papers, trying to be heard. But somehow, our quiet young agent stayed focused on us. With a swift nod, she ushered us from the kiosk to another, shorter service line—one marked "Assistance" but manned by a guard who barely glanced at us.

"What's happening?" Lori whispered.

"I have no idea," I said. "But I think we just discovered the secret bypass code for the French railway system."

We stood there, feeling like co-conspirators, while others looked on—some envious, some exhausted. Then, like a scene from a spy film, our young agent reappeared from the crowd. She slipped between two disgruntled passengers and pulled us gently aside, tucking two slips of paper into my hand.

"I was able to get you on the next train," she said softly, "the one leaving for Avignon in ten minutes. But—" she hesitated, smiling, "you must go directly to Le Bistro TGV INOUI—the bar car. When the conductor comes through, ask if he has any seats available."

For a moment, we just stared at her. Guaranteed seats? No. A bar car ticket? Yes.

"The bar car?" Lori said.

"Oui. Le Bistro. C'est bon?"

"C'est bon, merci!" we said in unison, grinning like we'd just been handed golden tickets to Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory.

In the swirl of travelers, she was gone—swallowed by the chaos, just as mysteriously as she'd appeared.

We clutched our new tickets, barely believing our luck. Thirty minutes to departure. No guaranteed seats. And a rendezvous in the bar car.

We were among the first to arrive at Le Bistro TGV INOUI in Car 6. Already there was a young mother with three children—each of whom seemed powered by an invisible espresso IV. While she tried to carry on a phone call, the kids turned the aisle into a racetrack, commandeering most of the available stools.

Two young men had staked their claims as well: one tethered to a laptop and noise-canceling headphones, the other bouncing to music only he could hear. That left exactly one stool—Lori took it—while I leaned against the counter, our luggage wedged beneath me like a makeshift barricade.

Soon, more passengers poured in, drawn by rumor or desperation. Then came a man and his bulldog—a pair so alike they could've shared a passport photo. The man snorted. The dog sighed. Without ceremony, the bulldog flopped onto the cool tile and sprawled like he owned the place, indifferent to the chaos of humanity above.

Within fifteen minutes, the train lurched forward. The crowd swayed, children squealed, and the bartender calmly opened for business as if none of it mattered. The scene was equal parts comedy, sociology experiment, and mild panic.

Then the conductor appeared, holding a handwritten list of numbers that looked like they'd been pulled from a magician's hat.

He stopped in front of me. "Car cinq, siège quarante-cinq," he said. Car five, seat forty-five.

"Merci!" I replied, as if this were all perfectly normal—that one could be plucked from the bar and assigned a seat by divine decree.

Of course, it meant Lori and I were now separated. I texted her once seated.

I sat in an aisle seat in a cabin near the door. The air was cool, the seat soft, and the countryside rushing by like a watercolor painting. Turning on my noise-canceling earbuds, I found a moment of quiet reflection I hadn't expected.

Ten minutes later, Lori replied: "Guess what? I'm still in the bar car—no more seats available."

I could almost hear the bulldog snoring in the background.

And so, somewhere between Paris and Avignon, I sat in quiet reflection—while Lori shared the bar car with a bulldog, three children, and one very patient bartender.

It was chaotic. It was absurd.

It was perfectly French.

Yes, we finally arrived at our hotel in Avignon, about two hours later than planned. Lori cheerfully noted that the Bulldog was the most polite train passenger during the entire trip.

I'm Patrick Ball. This is On the Fly. Stay curious, stay kind—and when life hands you a bar car, take it.

Comments

Don Hanley said…
Well said - I felt I was there with you on a great adventure. Thanks

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

The Rhythm of the Woodpecker

The morning in Vista often begins under a heavy, gray marine layer that rolls in from the coast, pressing a damp, muffled stillness over the neighborhood. At 4:30 a.m., the driveways are still full. The local commuters are either blissfully unconscious or stumbling blindly toward their showers, clinging desperately to their last shred of peace before the nine-to-five grind claims them for the day. I, on the other hand, am voluntarily wide awake in the dark. When your agenda consists of absolutely nothing, it is critical to get an early start. Inside the house, the quiet is profound, broken only by the sharp, mechanical click of the kettle as it reaches a rolling boil. I stand at the counter, watching the dark ground coffee bloom as hot water hits the French press's stainless steel. The smell is sudden and heavy—a deep, roasted-earth aroma that cuts through the morning fog. I push against the plunger’s gritty resistance, pouring a cup that radiates dark, stinging heat against my pal...

How to Horrify a Professional Skeptic

Today’s " Professional Skeptic"  knows exactly how retirement is supposed to unfold: you lose your job, your identity, and your purpose. Within months, you're complaining about restaurant portions and detailing your blood pressure to strangers in line at the post office. For a generation distrustful of leaders, convinced the future is a rigged game, a peaceful retirement is an outdated myth. The working world expects you to stay “on the hook.” Former bosses are quick to ask, “Can we call you? What are your consulting fees?” So, just for fun, picture a deeply suspicious, invisible observer lurking in my kitchen. Let's call him Captain Content. The Captain doesn't wear a top hat or wring bony fingers. Instead, imagine a younger guy glued to his smartphone, heavily caffeinated, and entirely convinced the system is broken. He live-streams my morning routine to his echo chamber while on a conference call with 48 attendees on his second phone, waiting for the inevitabl...