Skip to main content

Noirmoutier: An Ocean Between Us, Gone in a Moment

In this episode, Noirmoutier: An Ocean Between Us, Gone in a Moment.

Sometimes love waits half a century for its moment — and when it finally arrives, time doesn’t stand still; it disappears.

The moment I stepped off the train in Nantes, it felt like time froze. There she was — my cousin Michèle — waiting on the platform, arms waving desperately. When we finally embraced, the fifty years that had passed between us disappeared in an instant. The melody in her voice was the same, but softer than I remembered. We both shed tears of joy that only come from love long overdue.

“I’m so happy you are here,” she whispered, her voice trembling. 

Thank goodness for the translation app on my phone, because the conversation began immediately — fast, fluid, and unstoppable.

The Frenzy of Catching Up

As we drove for about an hour to the tiny town of L’Épine on the Island of Noirmoutier, the words kept tumbling out. Michèle and her husband, Alain, are the most gracious hosts — but my new challenge, I quickly realized, is keeping my phone charged because our conversation never stops!

Our first stop was a small local restaurant. Michèle and Alain knew everyone there. Within minutes, we were greeted with hugs and kisses on both cheeks — one, then the other — as if I’d always belonged. The food was extraordinary: fresh fish, local wine, and laughter that never paused between courses. By the third dish, I surrendered my fork in defeat, earning a hearty laugh from Michèle. “You’ll never survive a French Sunday lunch!” she teased. She was right.

Somewhere between laughter and tears, I realized this trip wasn’t about seeing France — it was about feeling family again. After fifty years apart, we weren’t just catching up; we were remembering who we were, and who we still are.

When night finally arrived, the island itself insisted on silence. The house fell into a pitch-dark quiet I hadn’t known since my days exploring the depths of a Tourmaline mine. Every evening, Michèle and Alain close their wooden shutters tight — a nightly ritual against the swift-moving storms that sweep across the island. The darkness feels complete, secure, and oddly comforting — like being wrapped inside the night itself. In that stillness, I could almost hear the ocean breathing.

Life by the Sea, the Sun, and the Wind

By morning, the rhythm of the island unfolds: gulls calling, breezes lifting the scent of salt through narrow lanes, the hum of bicycles on the streets.

L’Épine is a small town with just over 1,600 residents, yet it embodies the spirit of the sea. Its motto, “Mari, Sole, Vento” — meaning “By the sea, the sun, the wind” — perfectly captures its essence. The town’s history dates back to Roman times, when salt production was central to its identity. Today, it remains a peaceful place where life moves gently, like the tide, slow but steady. The area feels timeless, as if it remembers every family that has ever lived there. The sea and wind seem to echo a message: slow down, relax, and stay awhile.

And then there’s Oslo, their shaggy, soft-eyed spaniel, whom we met the next morning in the garden. Alain opened the back door of his small work truck, and Oslo was instantly there, tail wagging, ready to go. He trotted beside us as if he’d already decided I was part of the crew.

As the day stretched on — sunlight glinting off salt ponds, the air heavy with the scent of the Atlantic — I realized something profound but straightforward: I didn’t come to Noirmoutier to find family. I came to remember that family was never lost.

Every moment here — from the blur of a 200-MPH train to the hush of an island night — feels like a reminder: Love travels faster than time.

I’m Patrick Ball. Stay curious, ask questions. See you soon.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Maman était réellement heureuse de te revoir et te recevoir. Elle aimait tellement tata Mauricette ❤️ Merci d'être venu à elle car son rêve était de venir à vous (toute la famille). Je t'embrasse. Nathalie

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

Doc Welch - The Country Doctor

In this episode, Doc Welch . . . Many authors have characterized life in rural Illinois over the years. Among the more notables are Edgar Lee Masters, who wrote Spoon River Anthology, Carl Sandburg for his poetry and biography of Abraham Lincoln, and little known to me until recently, my first doctor, whom everyone in town always called Doc Welch - James K. Welch, M.D.  (Feb. 7, 1915, to May 5, 1998) While exploring the microfilm of the Cuba Journal (published from 1884 to 1992), I consistently kept running across articles entitled The Country Doctor. This intrigued me. Doc Welch was a third-generation practicing Country Doctor in Cuba for over 40 years. His father, James William Welch, M.D., practiced medicine in Cuba for more than five decades. His grandfather, James Knox Welch, M.D., settled in Cuba after the Civil War. Cuba, Illinois, is a small, rural farming community in west-central Illinois, where I grew up. Like many small towns, it boasts a central square with a ban...

The Rhythm of the Woodpecker

The morning in Vista often begins under a heavy, gray marine layer that rolls in from the coast, pressing a damp, muffled stillness over the neighborhood. At 4:30 a.m., the driveways are still full. The local commuters are either blissfully unconscious or stumbling blindly toward their showers, clinging desperately to their last shred of peace before the nine-to-five grind claims them for the day. I, on the other hand, am voluntarily wide awake in the dark. When your agenda consists of absolutely nothing, it is critical to get an early start. Inside the house, the quiet is profound, broken only by the sharp, mechanical click of the kettle as it reaches a rolling boil. I stand at the counter, watching the dark ground coffee bloom as hot water hits the French press's stainless steel. The smell is sudden and heavy—a deep, roasted-earth aroma that cuts through the morning fog. I push against the plunger’s gritty resistance, pouring a cup that radiates dark, stinging heat against my pal...