Skip to main content

Beyond the Post-it Notes

In this episode, Beyond the Post-it Notes: Finding the Anam Cara . . . 

Last week, when I arrived at Dr. Don’s home to help him with computer issues and our biweekly lunch, I found myself reflecting on the wide range of topics we always discuss. We connect as if we’ve been friends for years, even though he’s 92 and I’m 68. It’s funny—during our conversations, age seems to disappear.

As we reviewed his list of computer questions on his Post-it notes, he surprised me by handing me a book. "Here, I want you to have this book," he said, his expression resembling that of someone offering something precious or secret.

Later that day, I found myself engrossed in its pages. The book is "Anam Cara" by John O'Donohue. For weeks, I had noticed it on his desk and felt curious, yet I had no idea what I would discover inside.

Right from the very first chapter, "The Mystery of Friendship," this book beautifully captures a feeling I experienced in that moment with Dr. Don—a profound connection that seems to transcend both logic and time. O'Donohue introduces the lovely old Gaelic term "Anam Cara," which means "soul friend."

O'Donohue discusses a type of friendship that transcends everyday pleasantries and shared activities. It is a bond where you can truly be seen, allowing the masks we often wear in the world to fall away. It involves recognizing the light and the landscape of another person's soul and permitting them to reveal theirs.

Reading this, I thought, “This clearly describes many of my closest friends.” There’s a comfort, openness, and willingness to share thoughts and feelings that feels ancient and easy. This mystery O'Donohue describes—how two souls can recognize each other and connect on a level that transcends the usual boundaries.

The book suggests that finding an anam cara is like finding a spiritual companion who awakens your life and helps you see the "wild possibilities" within yourself.

It got me thinking: “Do we truly appreciate the depth of our connections?” Are we brave enough to let ourselves be seen, and to truly see others? What magical ingredient makes one connection feel so much more profound than others?

Anam Cara delves so much deeper into these ideas, exploring how this soul-level connection impacts friendship and how we relate to ourselves, love, and the world around us. Just thinking about it reminds me of the incredible, sometimes unexpected, gifts life (and generous friends!) can offer.

This idea of a soul friend, an anam cara, feels like a gentle invitation to examine our relationships with new eyes and cherish those rare and beautiful bonds where our souls feel at home.

If this sparks something in you, Anam Cara may be a book calling to you, too!

I'm Patrick Ball. Stay curious and ask questions. See you in the next episode.

Comments

Anonymous said…
That's Patrick.. Dr Don is truly a gift to humanity.. I am so glad you two have forged this deep bond
Don Hanley said…



A wonderful and invitational book 'report', Patrick. And I very much appreciate the sentiments and connection.

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

Doc Welch - The Country Doctor

In this episode, Doc Welch . . . Many authors have characterized life in rural Illinois over the years. Among the more notables are Edgar Lee Masters, who wrote Spoon River Anthology, Carl Sandburg for his poetry and biography of Abraham Lincoln, and little known to me until recently, my first doctor, whom everyone in town always called Doc Welch - James K. Welch, M.D.  (Feb. 7, 1915, to May 5, 1998) While exploring the microfilm of the Cuba Journal (published from 1884 to 1992), I consistently kept running across articles entitled The Country Doctor. This intrigued me. Doc Welch was a third-generation practicing Country Doctor in Cuba for over 40 years. His father, James William Welch, M.D., practiced medicine in Cuba for more than five decades. His grandfather, James Knox Welch, M.D., settled in Cuba after the Civil War. Cuba, Illinois, is a small, rural farming community in west-central Illinois, where I grew up. Like many small towns, it boasts a central square with a ban...

The Rhythm of the Woodpecker

The morning in Vista often begins under a heavy, gray marine layer that rolls in from the coast, pressing a damp, muffled stillness over the neighborhood. At 4:30 a.m., the driveways are still full. The local commuters are either blissfully unconscious or stumbling blindly toward their showers, clinging desperately to their last shred of peace before the nine-to-five grind claims them for the day. I, on the other hand, am voluntarily wide awake in the dark. When your agenda consists of absolutely nothing, it is critical to get an early start. Inside the house, the quiet is profound, broken only by the sharp, mechanical click of the kettle as it reaches a rolling boil. I stand at the counter, watching the dark ground coffee bloom as hot water hits the French press's stainless steel. The smell is sudden and heavy—a deep, roasted-earth aroma that cuts through the morning fog. I push against the plunger’s gritty resistance, pouring a cup that radiates dark, stinging heat against my pal...