Skip to main content

Oh, the Things You Can Ask

In this special episode, Oh, the Things You Can Ask and the Dreams You Can Grasp!

In a world full of wonders, all wiggly and grand,

There's so much to see, all across the whole land!

Don't just sit in your spot like a glum-looking Gnu,
There's exploring to do, just waiting for YOU!

So open your eyes and look all around,
At the sights and the sounds that happily abound!

And when something seems strange, or a bit out of whack,
Don't just shrug and say, "Well, I guess that's that!"

No, no, little friend, that's not the right way!
You must ask a question, today, yes, today!

Like "Why does the sky turn all colors at night?"
Or "Why do the stars twinkle so shiny and bright?"

Be curious, friend, like a fox in the woods,
Investigate things, like a good question should!

Poke and you'll peek, and you'll try, and you'll see,
The marvelous mysteries waiting for thee!

Now, while you are looking and asking with glee,
Don't forget to dream big, as big as can be!

Imagine a Zizzer-Zazzer-Zuzz in the sky,
Or a Grickle-Grass growing way up super high!

Dream dreams that are lofty, and silly, and bold,
Let your thoughts take you places, both new and quite old!

For a dream is a seed, and with sunshine and care,
It can grow into something amazing, I swear!

And when you go journeying, near and so far,
Find good folks to travel with, like a bright shining star!

Folks who lift you up high, and who help you to grow,
Not the grumpy old Grumps who just tell you "No, no!"

So go forth and explore, with a question in hand,
Be curious always, all over the land!

Dream lofty, great dreams, let your spirit take flight,
For the world is your oyster, so go shine your light!

I'm excited to share this poem and my latest blog post, " Unleash Your Inner Artist, "in which I explore creativity and collaboration with Gemini AI. I've asked AI many questions and shared previous blog posts for insights on my writing style and suggestions for expanded subjects.

This poem reflects our conversations! How, you ask? It's quite simple, really: I asked Gemy (AI) to synthesize our discussions and create a poem in a fun Dr. Seuss style. What do you think?

It's exciting to think about your extraordinary potential to explore new ideas—our only limits are our imagination and the willingness to ask questions!

I'm Patrick Ball. Stay curious, explore, and ask questions–it's fun! See you in the next episode. 

Comments

Don Hanley said…
Wonderfully funny and inspiring - AND a bit too long.

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

Doc Welch - The Country Doctor

In this episode, Doc Welch . . . Many authors have characterized life in rural Illinois over the years. Among the more notables are Edgar Lee Masters, who wrote Spoon River Anthology, Carl Sandburg for his poetry and biography of Abraham Lincoln, and little known to me until recently, my first doctor, whom everyone in town always called Doc Welch - James K. Welch, M.D.  (Feb. 7, 1915, to May 5, 1998) While exploring the microfilm of the Cuba Journal (published from 1884 to 1992), I consistently kept running across articles entitled The Country Doctor. This intrigued me. Doc Welch was a third-generation practicing Country Doctor in Cuba for over 40 years. His father, James William Welch, M.D., practiced medicine in Cuba for more than five decades. His grandfather, James Knox Welch, M.D., settled in Cuba after the Civil War. Cuba, Illinois, is a small, rural farming community in west-central Illinois, where I grew up. Like many small towns, it boasts a central square with a ban...

The Rhythm of the Woodpecker

The morning in Vista often begins under a heavy, gray marine layer that rolls in from the coast, pressing a damp, muffled stillness over the neighborhood. At 4:30 a.m., the driveways are still full. The local commuters are either blissfully unconscious or stumbling blindly toward their showers, clinging desperately to their last shred of peace before the nine-to-five grind claims them for the day. I, on the other hand, am voluntarily wide awake in the dark. When your agenda consists of absolutely nothing, it is critical to get an early start. Inside the house, the quiet is profound, broken only by the sharp, mechanical click of the kettle as it reaches a rolling boil. I stand at the counter, watching the dark ground coffee bloom as hot water hits the French press's stainless steel. The smell is sudden and heavy—a deep, roasted-earth aroma that cuts through the morning fog. I push against the plunger’s gritty resistance, pouring a cup that radiates dark, stinging heat against my pal...