Skip to main content

Tribute to Dr. Seuss

In this episode, A Tribute to Dr. Seuss . . .

by; Patrick Ball

From Amazon, it must have been kismet,

I received my first book, such a joy to revisit.

Hand-delivered by truck,

Dr. Seuss, Oh, what luck!


Oh, the Places You’ll Go!

I know what you’re thinking,

“You’re too old for kids' books, wake up - stop dreaming.”


The winter is dark, a rediscovery - who me?

The thrill of reading, It’s what sets you free. 

Like you, I’m off to great places. “We’re off and away!”

Reading is fun amidst the news of today.


Come on - you’ve read Ted Geisel, you may recall,

The Grinch Christmas podcast was recorded last fall.


That wasn’t a book, but a digital rendition,

We read from a Kindle, Oh My, we Broke tradition!

It worked, on an iPad, artwork in color.

But let's be clear, it wasn’t that clever.


Somehow - someway - it’s just not the same.

Having a book in hand, that’s the name of the game.

What a tactile sensation,

Not to mention the smell - no agitation.


Folding back pages has a sensory feel,

You just don’t get that - with a tap - that’s the deal.


My friend - you know better.

Stand up - be bold! You're never too old.

By fair means or foul, it appears to me,

Kids' books enlighten, just wait, you’ll see.


I’d love to keep rhyming,

But, I’m no Seuss that can do so by trying.

Just maybe, perhaps - a book in your hand,

Feels more natural than any Gadget can.


Thank Dr. Seuss, for this lesson today!

Your new book is waiting.

“So . . . get on your way!”


I’m Patrick Ball; thanks for listening; see you in the next episode.

Comments

Don Hanley said…
Thanks Patrick - as a poet, you'll do
for there's no one so true!
keep it up my friend
you may start a trend!

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

Doc Welch - The Country Doctor

In this episode, Doc Welch . . . Many authors have characterized life in rural Illinois over the years. Among the more notables are Edgar Lee Masters, who wrote Spoon River Anthology, Carl Sandburg for his poetry and biography of Abraham Lincoln, and little known to me until recently, my first doctor, whom everyone in town always called Doc Welch - James K. Welch, M.D.  (Feb. 7, 1915, to May 5, 1998) While exploring the microfilm of the Cuba Journal (published from 1884 to 1992), I consistently kept running across articles entitled The Country Doctor. This intrigued me. Doc Welch was a third-generation practicing Country Doctor in Cuba for over 40 years. His father, James William Welch, M.D., practiced medicine in Cuba for more than five decades. His grandfather, James Knox Welch, M.D., settled in Cuba after the Civil War. Cuba, Illinois, is a small, rural farming community in west-central Illinois, where I grew up. Like many small towns, it boasts a central square with a ban...

The Rhythm of the Woodpecker

The morning in Vista often begins under a heavy, gray marine layer that rolls in from the coast, pressing a damp, muffled stillness over the neighborhood. At 4:30 a.m., the driveways are still full. The local commuters are either blissfully unconscious or stumbling blindly toward their showers, clinging desperately to their last shred of peace before the nine-to-five grind claims them for the day. I, on the other hand, am voluntarily wide awake in the dark. When your agenda consists of absolutely nothing, it is critical to get an early start. Inside the house, the quiet is profound, broken only by the sharp, mechanical click of the kettle as it reaches a rolling boil. I stand at the counter, watching the dark ground coffee bloom as hot water hits the French press's stainless steel. The smell is sudden and heavy—a deep, roasted-earth aroma that cuts through the morning fog. I push against the plunger’s gritty resistance, pouring a cup that radiates dark, stinging heat against my pal...