Skip to main content

The Rainbow's Promise

In this episode, The Rainbow's Promise . . .

“The visible is the shoreline of the invisible.” – John O’Donahue

Life's journey is rarely a straight line. Sometimes, it throws us curveballs, rainstorms that obscure the path ahead. But what if those very storms held the potential for the most breathtaking beauty?

I witnessed this firsthand during my cross-country drive (across the U.S.) in 1985. From Illinois, my route was Interstate 40, headed towards the promise of California. That third day, the downpour subsided to a gentle shower, as if washing away the past and making way for something new. Ahead, I could sense the brighter future I was driving towards. Yet, the weight of past 'failures' – not finishing college, leaving behind everything familiar – pressed down on me. Arriving in California at 29, without family or friends, was a leap of faith, a raw willingness to start fresh. 

Then, as I descended a mountain pass on Interstate 15, a vibrant rainbow appeared, arching across the sky. The component colors displayed an unbelievable intensity – a fiery red bleeding into a zesty orange, followed by a radiant, golden yellow, a lush emerald green, a deep sapphire blue, and finally, a regal amethyst violet.

It was breathtaking! Nature's display of the magic of white light being dispersed by a celestial prism suspended in the atmosphere. This wasn't a faint wash of color, but a bold, powerful statement that filled my entire view with brilliance. What made it even more striking were the dark, ominous clouds that still lingered behind me, creating a dramatic backdrop that amplified the rainbow's vividness. It felt like a beacon of hope and light emerging from the recent storm.

And then, incredibly, I drove right through it!

In that instant, a whirlwind of emotions—freedom, pure joy, elation—danced with a hint of fear about the unknown. Surrounded by vibrant colors after the gentle rain, I understood that optimism isn't about overlooking the rain, but about embracing the beautiful promise of color that awaits beyond it.

My destination was Santa Monica, California, which shimmered with the promise of new beginnings. As I drove through that ethereal rainbow on the I-15, a shift occurred within me. The weight of past 'failures' seemed to lift, replaced by a blossoming sense of confidence. It was as though the magic of the vibrant colors had painted a new perspective onto my soul.

Starting over in a completely new place without familiar faces had been daunting during that three-day trip. However, driving through that unexpected arc of light instilled a newfound courage. I realized that waiting for life to happen wasn't the answer; taking the first step was.

In Santa Monica, this transformation manifested in a simple yet profound way. I decided not to wait to be introduced. Instead, fueled by positive expectations, I would extend my hand–confidently, a gesture of gratitude for the opportunity to connect with new people.

Each handshake became a small act of optimism, a belief in the goodness of others and the potential for meaningful connections. This proactive approach opened doors I never imagined and filled my life with friendships and experiences that enriched my journey in ways I couldn't have imagined.

That fleeting moment of driving through a rainbow wasn't just a beautiful memory; it was the catalyst for a fundamental shift in how I approached the world and embraced new possibilities.

Reflecting on that journey, I’m reminded that the power to change our lives often appears in those unexpected moments–serendipity–those beautiful 'rainbows' – after a gentle rain.

Friends, seize the opportunity for a fresh start and have the courage to embrace it.

Can you remember when you recognized your independence to direct your life? Take some quiet time and just think about it.

I’m Patrick Ball. Stay curious and ask questions. See you in the next episode.

Comments

Don Hanley said…
Beautiful!! Patrick - both the experience and the writing!
Patrick B. Ball said…
Thank you. I've held this story for years, and after reading "Beauty: The Invisible Embrace" by John O'Donohue, I must confess it helped unlock the power of clarity.

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

Doc Welch - The Country Doctor

In this episode, Doc Welch . . . Many authors have characterized life in rural Illinois over the years. Among the more notables are Edgar Lee Masters, who wrote Spoon River Anthology, Carl Sandburg for his poetry and biography of Abraham Lincoln, and little known to me until recently, my first doctor, whom everyone in town always called Doc Welch - James K. Welch, M.D.  (Feb. 7, 1915, to May 5, 1998) While exploring the microfilm of the Cuba Journal (published from 1884 to 1992), I consistently kept running across articles entitled The Country Doctor. This intrigued me. Doc Welch was a third-generation practicing Country Doctor in Cuba for over 40 years. His father, James William Welch, M.D., practiced medicine in Cuba for more than five decades. His grandfather, James Knox Welch, M.D., settled in Cuba after the Civil War. Cuba, Illinois, is a small, rural farming community in west-central Illinois, where I grew up. Like many small towns, it boasts a central square with a ban...

The Rhythm of the Woodpecker

The morning in Vista often begins under a heavy, gray marine layer that rolls in from the coast, pressing a damp, muffled stillness over the neighborhood. At 4:30 a.m., the driveways are still full. The local commuters are either blissfully unconscious or stumbling blindly toward their showers, clinging desperately to their last shred of peace before the nine-to-five grind claims them for the day. I, on the other hand, am voluntarily wide awake in the dark. When your agenda consists of absolutely nothing, it is critical to get an early start. Inside the house, the quiet is profound, broken only by the sharp, mechanical click of the kettle as it reaches a rolling boil. I stand at the counter, watching the dark ground coffee bloom as hot water hits the French press's stainless steel. The smell is sudden and heavy—a deep, roasted-earth aroma that cuts through the morning fog. I push against the plunger’s gritty resistance, pouring a cup that radiates dark, stinging heat against my pal...