Skip to main content

Beyond Happiness

In this episode, Beyond Happiness: How Beauty Unlocks True Joy . . .

While pedaling through Southern California's beautiful, golden hills this past weekend, a question gently surfaced: "Why does this feel so good? And why settle for happiness when you can experience something far deeper?" Fifty-five years in the making, this ride was about to offer an answer.

At 14, I first discovered the incredible freedom of riding a bicycle—the exhilarating thrill of the wind rushing past me, the soothing rhythm of my breathing, and the beautiful feeling of truly being in the world, not just passing through it. All these years later, I treasure my rides, waking up early on quiet weekends to embrace the morning on two wheels.

But today's ride was different.

The spring air was clean, calm, and textured with the scent of new blossoms. The mustard plants were in bloom — California’s golden fireworks — and the hills were lit with color, like a living Van Gogh. I could feel happiness bubbling up: a childlike glee in the sheer aliveness of it all.

As the golden light warmed my skin and the scent of new blossoms filled the air, the bubbling happiness began to transform. It wasn't just a thrill but a quiet deepening, profound recognition. Here, amidst the beauty, joy was beginning.

I realized that riding and observing beautiful sights can evoke a sense of connection to a deeper state of being that is often overlooked in daily life.

John O’Donohue, the Irish poet and philosopher, wrote that:

“When we awaken to the call of beauty, we become aware of new ways of being in the world.” — Beauty: The Invisible Embrace

Beauty is more than something pleasing to the eye. It’s a call — a nudge from the world and the soul to wake up. And when we listen, something in us shifts. Happiness may be the surface sparkle, but joy is what happens when the soul answers beauty’s call.

Joy isn't excitement. It isn't even comfort. It's a quiet depth — an invisible embrace — that says, 'This is who you are when you're most alive.'

After decades of cycling, my body knows these motions, my muscles remember every hill, every descent. The rhythm of my breath has become a meditation. This deep familiarity opens the door to presence—to a state where I don’t have to think, I simply get to feel.

And in that quiet feeling — the soft rush of wind, the hum of tires, the call of a bird — joy arrives. It doesn’t shout. It doesn’t insist. It simply is.

Let's ask a few more questions: What if we allow beauty to guide us deeper?

What if we didn’t rush past the mustard hills, the ocean air, or a friend's laughter?

What if we paused long enough to let happiness settle — and become joy?

The next time something moves you — a splash of color, the whisper of a breeze, the echo of a friend's laughter — pause. Ask yourself: Is this simply happiness, or is this your soul remembering something older, truer, and infinitely more lasting?

I invite you to explore that difference in your life. For more information, check out John O’Donohue’s book Beauty–The Invisible Embrace.

I'm Patrick Ball. Stay curious, ask questions. See you in the next episode.

Comments

Don Hanley said…
A beautiful meditation, Patrick - thank yoou!!

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

Doc Welch - The Country Doctor

In this episode, Doc Welch . . . Many authors have characterized life in rural Illinois over the years. Among the more notables are Edgar Lee Masters, who wrote Spoon River Anthology, Carl Sandburg for his poetry and biography of Abraham Lincoln, and little known to me until recently, my first doctor, whom everyone in town always called Doc Welch - James K. Welch, M.D.  (Feb. 7, 1915, to May 5, 1998) While exploring the microfilm of the Cuba Journal (published from 1884 to 1992), I consistently kept running across articles entitled The Country Doctor. This intrigued me. Doc Welch was a third-generation practicing Country Doctor in Cuba for over 40 years. His father, James William Welch, M.D., practiced medicine in Cuba for more than five decades. His grandfather, James Knox Welch, M.D., settled in Cuba after the Civil War. Cuba, Illinois, is a small, rural farming community in west-central Illinois, where I grew up. Like many small towns, it boasts a central square with a ban...

The Rhythm of the Woodpecker

The morning in Vista often begins under a heavy, gray marine layer that rolls in from the coast, pressing a damp, muffled stillness over the neighborhood. At 4:30 a.m., the driveways are still full. The local commuters are either blissfully unconscious or stumbling blindly toward their showers, clinging desperately to their last shred of peace before the nine-to-five grind claims them for the day. I, on the other hand, am voluntarily wide awake in the dark. When your agenda consists of absolutely nothing, it is critical to get an early start. Inside the house, the quiet is profound, broken only by the sharp, mechanical click of the kettle as it reaches a rolling boil. I stand at the counter, watching the dark ground coffee bloom as hot water hits the French press's stainless steel. The smell is sudden and heavy—a deep, roasted-earth aroma that cuts through the morning fog. I push against the plunger’s gritty resistance, pouring a cup that radiates dark, stinging heat against my pal...