Today’s "Professional Skeptic" knows exactly how retirement is supposed to unfold: you lose your job, your identity, and your purpose. Within months, you're complaining about restaurant portions and detailing your blood pressure to strangers in line at the post office.
For a generation distrustful of leaders, convinced the future is a rigged game, a peaceful retirement is an outdated myth. The working world expects you to stay “on the hook.” Former bosses are quick to ask, “Can we call you? What are your consulting fees?”
So, just for fun, picture a deeply suspicious, invisible observer lurking in my kitchen. Let's call him Captain Content. The Captain doesn't wear a top hat or wring bony fingers. Instead, imagine a younger guy glued to his smartphone, heavily caffeinated, and entirely convinced the system is broken.
He live-streams my morning routine to his echo chamber while on a conference call with 48 attendees on his second phone, waiting for the inevitable collapse.
Having absorbed the modern doctrine that life is a zero-sum game, he assumes I will spend my mornings either nursing old grievances or frantically trying to engineer a new way to stay relevant.
Instead, I start the morning with my notebook.
Captain Content leans forward, hunting for a controversial opinion to immediately post on social media so he can argue about it in the comments. He peeks over my shoulder and reads:
- What do I want to Be, Do, or Have today?
- What’s the weather outside?
- What needs to get done?
- What can I learn today that will add to my happiness?
No spreadsheet. No five-year survival strategy. Captain Content dictates a note into his phone: “Subject appears to have abandoned all measurable ambition.”
Matters quickly deteriorate.
I move to the living room floor for my morning stretches. The Captain steps closer, camera lens focused, anticipating a highly optimized, bio-hacked yoga flow designed to reverse aging. Instead, I just stretch my legs, take a few deep breaths, and appreciate the simple fact that I can still reach (see) my toes. No fitness trackers. No performance metrics. Just basic movement.
Captain Content aggressively types: “Subject is wasting prime morning hours on unmonetized mobility.”
Back in the kitchen, I pull out my French press. Captain Content perks up—“surely a play to launch an artisanal e-commerce brand!” He watches me measure the grounds, pour the water, stir the coffee, press, then hand Lori a steaming mug.
Captain Content rubs his chin and frowns. What’s the angle? Does she know she’s an unwitting beta tester in a customer-acquisition funnel?
There is no transaction. Just a good cup of coffee handed to someone I love. Captain Content underlines his next note twice: “Subject experiencing satisfaction without financial compensation!”
Finally, the indignity. The kitchen sink. Decades in the workforce reduced to suds and dirty dishes.
Captain Content waits for me to shake my fist at the injustice of domestic life. Instead, I hum a tune as I wash up. No one is making a YouTube video called The Zen of the Dinner Plate, but standing there, I think of my mother. I remember the quiet pride she took in caring for her family. I feel a genuine sense of dignity in finishing a small task and knowing our home is better because I tended to it.
Captain Content dictates: “Subject has completely severed ties with reality.”
Time for a bike ride. The Captain's hopes rise again, expecting at least a little cutthroat competition. Surely I will track my heart rate, obsess over cadence, and hunt down a segment on a leaderboard.
Instead, I coast along, breathing in the crisp morning air and marveling as the trees begin to change color as fall approaches. Then I commit the ultimate modern transgression: I smile and wave at the neighbors—even people I don’t know.
Captain Content spirals into a full-blown existential crisis. Who waves anymore? Is he launching a rogue campaign for the school board?
Unable to bear it any longer, Captain Content blurts out: “What the hell are you doing here?”
I look around . . . "What?" . . .
“I made great coffee. I touched my toes. I got outside. I learned something new. I spent time with someone I love. In short, I had a pretty good Tuesday.”
Captain Content scoffs. “Come on, this doesn’t fit the outrage cycle. You can’t scale, track, or monetize it.” He taps his screen aggressively. “You’ll get my invoice for ‘consulting fees.’”
I just smile. That’s the tragedy of Captain Content. He isn't offering practical advice; he is simply issuing an invoice.
And that’s precisely the point. The Great Un-Working isn’t a myth, and it isn't the loss of purpose; it’s the freedom from having someone else dictate what purpose looks like. You don't have to turn every hobby into an enterprise, or every bike ride into a race.
Sometimes the most subversive thing you can do in a world obsessed with groupthink and outrage is to learn something simply because you're curious, care for the room you're in, and notice the ride.
Captain Content calls it unproductive. I call it a life well spent.
I’m Patrick Ball. Stay curious, ask better questions, and notice the ride.

Comments