Skip to main content

The Gopher Problem and the High Powered Solution

Vacationing in Maine this week, just a short drive down the coast from Freeport, it is hard not to think about the outsized impact one frustrated outdoorsman had on the gear we all use today. Bad equipment can ruin a perfectly good day on the water or the trail, but it takes a special kind of vision to turn cold feet into a century-old empire.

This is the story of the company we now know as L.L.Bean, but more importantly, it is a masterclass in integrity, learning from failure, and standing behind your work.

In 1912, Leon Leonwood Bean faced a persistent problem: returning from expeditions in the Maine woods with cold, wet feet. Instead of complaining, he got creative. He had a local shoemaker stitch waterproof rubber soles onto the flexible leather uppers of a hunting boot. He called it the Maine Hunting Shoe and mailed a flyer promising perfect satisfaction. Then reality arrived. Ninety of his first 100 pairs failed when the rubber separated from the leather. Not an effective product launch.

But Leon did not make excuses. He refunded the money, took out a loan, and perfected the design. That massive failure birthed the famous L.L.Bean guarantee—and built an outdoor empire that eventually remained open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Which is either extraordinary customer service or a warning that Maine people don't sleep.

Yesterday, we drove up to the Freeport Flagship store to escape the torrential rain from the unexpected Nor'easter, wander the aisles, pay our respects to the giant rubber boot outside, and ended up in the hunting section. There, I witnessed a masterclass in a very different kind of problem-solving.

I found myself standing near an older couple, surgically examining high-powered rifles with the focused intensity of people preparing for a major wilderness expedition.

"What's the caliber you're looking for?" I asked.

"A thirty-thirty," the wife pronounced, her tone conveying the absolute certainty of a woman who knew exactly what she wanted.

I nodded, impressed. The .30-30 is a legendary deer-hunting cartridge that has put meat on the table for more than a century.

"What are you planning to use a gun like that for?" I asked.

She didn't miss a beat. "To shoot gophers in our yard."

There are moments in life when your brain simply stops processing information. I mentally pictured a six-ounce gopher emerging from its burrow, looking around for a nice patch of grass, and suddenly hearing the distant clack of a lever-action rifle being cocked.

Before I could process the sheer magnitude of the proposed solution, her husband chimed in, sounding like a man who had long ago accepted his role as logistical support. "So what’s the criteria for this gun?"

She gently rubbed the polished wood stock.

"It must be beautiful," she said.

“How about this Buffalo Bill signature Winchester? It’s a little heavy, but it’s a beauty.”

“No, I’m not having anything Buffalo Bill in my house.”

Then she turned to me with the breezy tone one uses to discuss pruning hydrangeas. "Of course, if the gopher is close enough, I'll just pluck it off with my handgun."

I smiled and nodded, terrified to ask what counted as "close enough." Conversational distance? And what exactly was the handgun? A .44 Magnum? Does Maine issue special concealed-carry permits for aggressive landscaping?

"Wow," I managed. "That's a lot of gun. Where I live in California, there's no way."

Back in Vista, a homeowner discharging a .30-30 at a gopher would instantly trigger a tactical police response, helicopters, an emergency town hall meeting, and a six-part podcast titled When Gophers Attack: The Ballistic Crisis in Suburban California.

The gopher would certainly be vaporized. But so might the neighbor's prize-winning roses, the heavy-duty fence I just spent four months building with my neighbor Steve, and possibly a parked Tesla three houses down.

Apparently, in Maine, if a gopher disturbs your lawn, you can go to L.L.Bean to evaluate your artillery options. Aesthetics matter; if you're firing a projectile at a garden pest from hundreds of yards away, do it with a beautiful walnut-stocked weapon.

It perfectly captures the Maine spirit. Leon Bean looked at a wet pair of socks and invented an entirely new category of footwear. This lovely older couple looked at a few holes in their lawn and chose overwhelming, earth-shattering ballistic superiority—with a touch of elegance.

Whether you are building a career, writing a book, fixing a fence, or trying to navigate life, there is something to be said for the Freeport state of mind: Identify the problem. Find a beautiful solution. Stand behind your work. And if the problem is a gopher, don't be afraid to think big.

Just be mindful of your backdrop.

I'm Patrick Ball. Stay curious, ask better questions. See you next time.

Comments

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

The Rhythm of the Woodpecker

The morning in Vista often begins under a heavy, gray marine layer that rolls in from the coast, pressing a damp, muffled stillness over the neighborhood. At 4:30 a.m., the driveways are still full. The local commuters are either blissfully unconscious or stumbling blindly toward their showers, clinging desperately to their last shred of peace before the nine-to-five grind claims them for the day. I, on the other hand, am voluntarily wide awake in the dark. When your agenda consists of absolutely nothing, it is critical to get an early start. Inside the house, the quiet is profound, broken only by the sharp, mechanical click of the kettle as it reaches a rolling boil. I stand at the counter, watching the dark ground coffee bloom as hot water hits the French press's stainless steel. The smell is sudden and heavy—a deep, roasted-earth aroma that cuts through the morning fog. I push against the plunger’s gritty resistance, pouring a cup that radiates dark, stinging heat against my pal...

Stamps and Snow

In this episode, Stamps and Snow . . .   You don’t usually walk into the local Post Office expecting a time warp . . . but here we are. All we wanted were stamps for this year's Christmas cards— yes, the old-fashioned paper ones that require licking, sticking, and hoping the Postal Service is feeling ambitious this week. But holiday errands have a talent for slowing you down, almost like the universe whispering, “Relax. You’re not getting out of this line any faster anyway.” So we waited. And while we waited, we talked (Are you surprised?). Because the Post Office is one of the few places where people still look up from their phones long enough to talk . . . Maybe it's because they're holding packages. It’s the modern town square: part civic duty, part free entertainment, part sociology experiment. The discussion began with holiday specials streaming on Netflix, Paramount+, and other services during this time of year. One gentleman who has lived in Vista since 1958 told us,...