Skip to main content

Breaking the Script

In this episode, The Art of the Short-Circuit.

We spend a surprising amount of our lives on conversational autopilot. You see it everywhere. At the hardware store. At the post office. In office hallways, where two people can exchange greetings, discuss the weather, and continue on their way without either one actually hearing what the other said.

"How are you?”

"Good. You?”


“Busy."


“Yep."


It's less of a conversation and more of a system check.


Most of us aren't being rude. We're just moving fast. We have emails to answer, meetings to attend, errands to run, and a hundred other things competing for our attention. Before long, our interactions become little more than verbal lane markers helping us navigate the day.


I like to break the script.


When I run into someone, instead of the usual greetings, I'll ask:


"What's the good word?”


The reaction is almost always worth it. You can practically see the gears stop turning. People pause. They blink. Their brains start searching for the approved response that somehow isn't there. It's as if an internal warning light starts flashing:


ERROR: UNEXPECTED INPUT DETECTED.


Some people stare at me for a second, trying to determine whether I've asked a serious question. Others take the opportunity to tell me exactly what's on their mind at that moment. And every now and then, someone throws it right back at me.


"I don't know. What is the good word?”


That's when I deploy the short-circuit. I look them straight in the eye and answer:


"Chicken Fried Steak.”


Not because it means anything. Not because it's profound. Simply because it's completely unexpected.


The reaction follows a familiar pattern. First comes confusion. Then curiosity.


Then the realization that there isn't a right answer.

And then they laugh. For a few seconds, the routine disappears. The mental checklist gets interrupted. Two people who were operating on autopilot suddenly become present in the moment.


That's the magic of breaking the script.


Lately, I've been expanding my collection. Around the office, with July right around the corner, I've started responding with:


"Gravity. It keeps us all grounded today.”


That one gets extra mileage because the electrical grounding symbol is part of the Cenergy logo. It's a little engineering humor hiding in plain sight.


For everyday use, though, I'm becoming a fan of:


"Peach Cobbler.”


It's impossible to hear "peach cobbler" and remain fully committed to whatever stress was occupying your mind five seconds earlier. Somehow, a random slice of dessert is enough to remind us that life doesn't have to be serious every minute of every day.


The funny thing is that none of this is really about chicken-fried steak, gravity, or peach cobbler.


It's about attention.


It's about interrupting the routine long enough to remind ourselves that there are actual human beings standing on the other side of these conversations. In a world that constantly pushes us toward efficiency, autopilot, and rushing to the next thing, a little unexpected humor can be surprisingly powerful.


So here's my challenge for you this week: Break the script.


The next time someone asks how you're doing, toss out something unexpected. A favorite food. A law of physics. A movie quote. A completely harmless non-sequitur that makes them stop and think for a second.


See what happens. Maybe you'll get a laugh.

Maybe you'll start a real conversation.

Maybe you'll simply give someone a brief break from the endless cycle of meetings, notifications, and to-do lists.


Either way, you'll have made the day a little more interesting.

And that's something we could all use more of.

So the next time we cross paths, don't tell me you're busy.

Tell me the good word.

I'll be listening.


I’m Patrick Ball. Stay curious, ask questions, and explore the “Art.”

Comments

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

The Rhythm of the Woodpecker

The morning in Vista often begins under a heavy, gray marine layer that rolls in from the coast, pressing a damp, muffled stillness over the neighborhood. At 4:30 a.m., the driveways are still full. The local commuters are either blissfully unconscious or stumbling blindly toward their showers, clinging desperately to their last shred of peace before the nine-to-five grind claims them for the day. I, on the other hand, am voluntarily wide awake in the dark. When your agenda consists of absolutely nothing, it is critical to get an early start. Inside the house, the quiet is profound, broken only by the sharp, mechanical click of the kettle as it reaches a rolling boil. I stand at the counter, watching the dark ground coffee bloom as hot water hits the French press's stainless steel. The smell is sudden and heavy—a deep, roasted-earth aroma that cuts through the morning fog. I push against the plunger’s gritty resistance, pouring a cup that radiates dark, stinging heat against my pal...

How to Horrify a Professional Skeptic

Today’s " Professional Skeptic"  knows exactly how retirement is supposed to unfold: you lose your job, your identity, and your purpose. Within months, you're complaining about restaurant portions and detailing your blood pressure to strangers in line at the post office. For a generation distrustful of leaders, convinced the future is a rigged game, a peaceful retirement is an outdated myth. The working world expects you to stay “on the hook.” Former bosses are quick to ask, “Can we call you? What are your consulting fees?” So, just for fun, picture a deeply suspicious, invisible observer lurking in my kitchen. Let's call him Captain Content. The Captain doesn't wear a top hat or wring bony fingers. Instead, imagine a younger guy glued to his smartphone, heavily caffeinated, and entirely convinced the system is broken. He live-streams my morning routine to his echo chamber while on a conference call with 48 attendees on his second phone, waiting for the inevitabl...