Skip to main content

I Was Already Me

In this episode, I Was Already Me: Redefining What It Means to "Become Someone” . . . 

"You're never a hero in your own home." It's a phrase that often rings true, a quiet acknowledgment that the very people who know us best are also the ones most intimately familiar with our quirks, our unedited selves, and the messy bits we rarely show the world. But what happens when that familiarity leads to disconnection, when our deepest thoughts are dismissed as "too much," and even our best efforts feel unheard?

I've been talking with my friend Dr. Don Hanley, a former Catholic priest turned psychotherapist with a background in teaching and writing. Recently, he shared a vulnerability: some friends no longer want to meet because his conversations are too deep, and his family criticizes him for being too lost in thought or writing foolish blog posts.

It's a stark reminder, even for a seasoned psychotherapist, that the "hero" outside often struggles within their own walls. It echoes a universal truth: we are all, at our core, human beings doing the best we can with our life experiences.

The Unseen Battle of "Becoming Someone”

We recently had an exchange that perfectly captures this struggle. He asked me, "Didn't you ever want to 'become someone?'" Puzzled, I asked what he meant. He clarified, "I wanted to become a priest so I could become someone." My immediate response was, "I never thought about it. I already was someone. I was me."

This distinction is crucial. In our society, "becoming someone" is often confused with attaining a job, holding a title, or achieving a professional milestone. We chase external markers of success, believing they will define our worth or earn us the admiration we crave.

Reflecting on my career, I've realized a deeper truth: people seldom remember your work contributions. What stays with them is how you made them feel. If you make others feel appreciated and enjoy your company, you become someone memorable and meaningful to them. Otherwise, you're not.

The challenge, then, isn't about fitting into a mold or simplifying ourselves to be more likable. It's about accepting that our deepest thoughts and our authentic selves are too much for some. It's about recognizing that criticism, even from loved ones, often stems from their own perspective, not a definitive judgment of our worth.

Finding Flowers in Your Own Pile of Life

Don's memoir, "Finding Flowers in a Little Pile of Sh*t," is available on Amazon. It offers a raw, honest account of a young man's quest for acceptance amid life's disappointments, failures, and successes. One reviewer said it takes readers on "a voyage of intellectual, emotional, and spiritual growth where we discover Don's experiences—and how to live life as real participants."

His story, and the real-life struggles he faces even today, illustrate that our heroism isn't found in being universally understood or celebrated, but in the quiet courage of continuing to be ourselves, to learn, to grow, and to try to connect, even when it feels like we're speaking a different language.

It's about acknowledging our own "piles of sh*t"—our perceived failures, our miscommunications, our unread blog posts—and still finding the flowers of wisdom, connection, and self-acceptance within them.

Dr. Don and I will continue to explore these deeper ideas, perhaps in these blog posts, because they are essential for understanding ourselves and navigating our lives. While not everyone seeks out such conversations, we know some do.

Are you navigating your own "too deep" moments, seeking to connect authentically, and embracing the everyday heroism of simply being you? We'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments below. Perhaps in sharing our experiences, we can all find more "flowers" in our lives.

I’m Patrick Ball. Stay curious, ask questions. See you next time.

Comments

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

The Rhythm of the Woodpecker

The morning in Vista often begins under a heavy, gray marine layer that rolls in from the coast, pressing a damp, muffled stillness over the neighborhood. At 4:30 a.m., the driveways are still full. The local commuters are either blissfully unconscious or stumbling blindly toward their showers, clinging desperately to their last shred of peace before the nine-to-five grind claims them for the day. I, on the other hand, am voluntarily wide awake in the dark. When your agenda consists of absolutely nothing, it is critical to get an early start. Inside the house, the quiet is profound, broken only by the sharp, mechanical click of the kettle as it reaches a rolling boil. I stand at the counter, watching the dark ground coffee bloom as hot water hits the French press's stainless steel. The smell is sudden and heavy—a deep, roasted-earth aroma that cuts through the morning fog. I push against the plunger’s gritty resistance, pouring a cup that radiates dark, stinging heat against my pal...

How to Horrify a Professional Skeptic

Today’s " Professional Skeptic"  knows exactly how retirement is supposed to unfold: you lose your job, your identity, and your purpose. Within months, you're complaining about restaurant portions and detailing your blood pressure to strangers in line at the post office. For a generation distrustful of leaders, convinced the future is a rigged game, a peaceful retirement is an outdated myth. The working world expects you to stay “on the hook.” Former bosses are quick to ask, “Can we call you? What are your consulting fees?” So, just for fun, picture a deeply suspicious, invisible observer lurking in my kitchen. Let's call him Captain Content. The Captain doesn't wear a top hat or wring bony fingers. Instead, imagine a younger guy glued to his smartphone, heavily caffeinated, and entirely convinced the system is broken. He live-streams my morning routine to his echo chamber while on a conference call with 48 attendees on his second phone, waiting for the inevitabl...