Skip to main content

Olivine - The Adventures of Hercule Peridot

Yes, it’s me, Adamas Bontemps; gemologist, world traveler, and dedicated student of the art and science of deduction.

Peridot and I had returned home from Florence a few weeks earlier. I was back to my early morning activities; chronicling our travels, and practicing guitar. Out the corner of my eye, a FaceTime notification appeared on my computer screen. 

I clicked “accept” and an image of that familiar turquoise door materialized, [Incoming video from 1740 Tsavorite Lane]. It was Peridot.

Magically, as the door opened Peridot popped onto my computer screen. He was impeccably dressed; a fine silk vest, and dashing purple necktie. His lean, congenial, smiling face radiating from my screen.

Olivine Crystal in Matrix
“Bontemps, this blog that you insist on posting has stirred my curiosity, and sentiments of my deceased, loving, wife, Olivine.”

“How do you mean?” I asked.

“I’m thinking we need some time away from the case, say, a little vacation. Some time to relax, and reminisce.

He pulled a leather bound book from his library, flipped it open, and read the following; “Nature’s peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn.” - John Muir

With his yellowish green eyes looking up in an Angelic state he whispered, “You see Adamas to live a balanced life one must take time to just “Be”.

Peridot always reminded me that the science of deduction included time to experience nature.

“Bien, what are you proposing?”

“Hawaii, my boy. The big Island. This year, would have been our our 30th anniversary. Olivine and I visited the Island of Hawaii, on our honey moon years ago - a very special place.”

I immediately Googled Hawaii, “This is incroyable.”

“Did you know one can travel through ten of the world’s 14 different climate zones on Hawaii ranging from Wet Tropical to Polar Tundra.”

Says here, “A result of the shielding effect and elevations of the massive volcanoes Maunakea and Maunaloa. The big island is nearly twice as big as all of the other Hawaiian Islands combined.”

Peridot calmly held up his hand to stop me from rambling. “To be specific, Adamas, we will explore Green Sand Beach, the Hawaiian name Papakolea.”

He took a sip of his coffee, dabbed his mustache with a napkin, cleared his throat and began;

“A truly magnificent place, the green sand gets it’s color from tiny olivine crystals (commonly known as Peridot) created from eruptions to a dormant volcano. Nestled in Mahana Bay, one of only two green sand beaches in the world. In fact, green sand beach itself is within what was once a cinder cone. Three sides of the cone are still present, with the ocean coming in from what would have been the eastern edge.”

“Sounds exciting. I said.”

“I’ve hired a guide to escort us to Papakolea.”

“Pack your bags, my boy, we leave tomorrow.”

Comments

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

Doc Welch - The Country Doctor

In this episode, Doc Welch . . . Many authors have characterized life in rural Illinois over the years. Among the more notables are Edgar Lee Masters, who wrote Spoon River Anthology, Carl Sandburg for his poetry and biography of Abraham Lincoln, and little known to me until recently, my first doctor, whom everyone in town always called Doc Welch - James K. Welch, M.D.  (Feb. 7, 1915, to May 5, 1998) While exploring the microfilm of the Cuba Journal (published from 1884 to 1992), I consistently kept running across articles entitled The Country Doctor. This intrigued me. Doc Welch was a third-generation practicing Country Doctor in Cuba for over 40 years. His father, James William Welch, M.D., practiced medicine in Cuba for more than five decades. His grandfather, James Knox Welch, M.D., settled in Cuba after the Civil War. Cuba, Illinois, is a small, rural farming community in west-central Illinois, where I grew up. Like many small towns, it boasts a central square with a ban...

Vintage Vinyl

In this episode - Vintage Vinyl . . . Turntables are making a big comeback; why? Listening to music should be a multi-sensory experience. Harmony, rhythm, and the deep expression of emotion. Like a warm, gentle rain in the springtime cascading around you the room is filled with a resonant, rich, melodic sound. My emotions welled up, and tears come to my eyes. Ok, I get it, we need to step back to get some perspective here. Recently a visit to Lou's Records in Encinitas, California, inspired me to dig out my Vintage vinyl LP record collection. I selected the Carpenters Singles 1969- 1973 . This musical duo reigned from 1969-to 1982 with the rich, full melodic voice of Karen Carpenter. They were one of the biggest-selling groups of the 1970s. "No fewer than ten of their singles went on to become million-sellers, and by 2005 combined worldwide sales of albums and singles well exceeded 100 million units." The tactile sensory experience of music begins with the album cover it...