Skip to main content

2015 Le Tour de France

Team BMC 2015
Team BMC wins the team time trial by one second in stage nine!

Ah, Summer! Bicycling magic is renewed for millions when the voices of Phil Liggett, Paul Sherwen, and Bob Roll, grace the television airwaves broadcasting Le Tour de France (Le Tour). When you dare to believe you’re an accomplished bicyclist, just tune into the NBCSN Sports broadcast of Le Tour in July (July 4 - July 26, 2015). Very quickly humility sets in. To date, the riders in that race have ridden nine grueling stages, with an average distance of 186 kilometers, that’s 115 miles per day. This year is the 102nd Anniversary - 21 stages, a total distance of 3,360 kilometers, and only two, yes two, rest days - of this classic race that tours the French countryside with the finale in Paris on the Champs-Elysées.

Dare I say it – Le Tour can inspire even casual riders, take your bicycles from the back shed, dust them off, inflate their tires, and hit the streets. It’s amusing to see people pretend, they are in Le Tour, competing for the coveted yellow jersey. It’s summer in southern California, and yes, when you ride you will encounter bicyclists of all types, size, and experience levels. Why, just yesterday, after watching the exciting conclusion of Le Tour’s stage eight - 181.5 kilometers - we were inspired to hit the roads early and log a few kilometers, a mere 57.9 (36 miles). What a perfect blend of man and machine. Feel the wind lightly brush your face, the rhythm of your pumping legs, the thrill of seemingly effortless speed, the fluidity of the road as it rolls beneath you and passes in a grey blur. You approach an ominous hill, instinctively you downshift to maintain your momentum and smooth cadence, a slight grip on the handlebars, push with the right leg - pull with the left. Biomechanics at it’s best. Suddenly - a jolt, a pebble is launched from your tire and the rhythm of your cadence is temporarily altered. Ah, the thrill and freedom of the bicycle.

Indeed, during your moment of bliss you will encounter the following; the wanna-be-racers, enthusiasts who belong to a local cycle club and pretend they are the Peloton, (the throng of riders). They whiz past you in single file at breakneck speeds. In complete contrast, don't forget the families; children and adults floundering along, they generally travel in packs and obstruct the entire bike path. Finally, you have the beach cruisers that squeak by, (a little chain lube will take care of that) out for a casual morning ride. It’s a challenge.

Bicycling magazine lists a few fun facts about Le Tour; racers will consume 160,000 calories during the three-week tour. 200 bottles of water or drink mix (depends on the temperature) per race. Alpe D‘ Huez (one of Le Tours most famous mountain stages, 13.2 km climb - this year stage 20) has 42 switchbacks. Most teams bring five bikes per rider, three for road stages and two for time trials. Sprinter Mark Cavendish has won 26 stage races in his professional career. Two more will tie him with Bernard Hinault for second place. Eddy Merckx holds the record with 34. Did I mention this is physical torture!


LeMond & Fignon
My own brush with Le Tour came in 1983 when we visited France just after Laurent Patrick Fignon (two-time winner of Le Tour) crossed the finish line, in Paris, with a total time of 105 hr. 7 min. 52 seconds. All of France savored the victory of their fellow countryman. That summer, racing was my passion, a Frenchman, my namesake, had won Le Tour.  I logged 200 miles per week training for a local bike race to be held in Macomb, Ill. Representing the local Raleigh bicycle shop as sales manager, and repairman, let’s just say, I sported zero body fat, a rather large lung capacity, strong, clean-shaven climbing legs, and the optimism of youth. My boss gave me the month of August for vacation to visit my family in France.

We arrived (Mom, my sister, and me) in La Rochelle, just one-week after Le Tour ended. Stage Eight, had begun in La Rochelle. My uncle, Jean Paul, caught a discarded water bottle from one of the riders. Later he would present it as a treasured birthday gift to me; it remains my Le Tour memento. Even though I spoke little French, the five-hour drive from Paris to La Rochelle, we talked bicycle racing. My suitcase contained my cycling shorts and shoes but no jersey. I dreamed of that coveted yellow jersey, while visiting I would buy a replica yellow jersey. To my dismay I soon discovered the yellow jersey is earned, (it cannot be purchased) only with a stage win.


Lagord - Patrick 1983
Jean Paul insisted I ride his Motobecane bicycle during my stay to train. And train I did, every morning it was out the door before breakfast. Riding the French countryside, I averaged between 20-25 kilometers. The locals were very friendly and always waived as I passed, the roads were narrow, some cobblestone, there were fields and fields of golden sunflowers blowing in the warm breeze. All my uncles’ friends and neighbors’ bragged on me, and with a wink, they would say, (en français bien sûr) “No doubt, next year, your nephew will be riding Le Tour de France.” Hardly, I quipped, but the excitement of the recent Le Tour, and the thrill of riding in France for that month of August fueled my patriotism, and enthusiasm for the sport of cycling.


So, every year, in July, while Le Tour de France runs, riding my LeMond bicycle, we pretend, that we’ve just crested the summit of Alpe D‘ Huez on the final leg of our ride home. Yes, I know it’s but a fantasy, pardon me for a moment, for sentimental reasons, I’m headed to the garage to dig out that water bottle my uncle gave me 30 years ago and pay tribute to Laurent Fignon.

Oh, by the way, that Macomb race – with my pearlescent white, Raleigh Competition, I took first place that fall. There was no yellow jersey, no big jackpot, no podium with two lovely young french girls to present a trophy, or a new car. First prize was a ribbon, and the pride of representing our Raleigh bike shop.

Comments

Most Popular of All Time

The Who Was - Series

In this episode, the Who Was? - Series . . . With over 250 titles, Penguin Random House Books Who Was?  - Series tells the incredible stories of trailblazers, legends, innovators, and creators. Are you a bibliophile, an individual who loves and frequently reads books (a bookworm)? What is it that compels you to pick up a book? Is it the cover, is it the title, how about an interest in a specialized subject, or just - perhaps it's a whim? One of my ultimate goals with these podcasts is to reach a young audience. I've found that reading children's books is a gratifying and educational experience. Yes, even grown-ups can understand difficult concepts. To my surprise, both children and adults seem to appreciate the experience. With education such a hot topic in the news right now, we need to be reminded that whether it's going to school, visiting a museum, or online learning, the goal of education (both young and old) is to nurture an interest in learning. William Butler Ye

Big Apple, Big Charge

In this episode –  Big Apple, Big Charge  . . . Welcome back to On the Fly, your weekly dose of quirky observations and unexpected trends. Today, we're fresh off a trip to the Scaffolding/Plywood jungle, where we witnessed a phenomenon that will make you rethink your relationship with the humble wall socket. That's right, we're talking about New York City, and it's . . . wait for ­­it — Free, ubiquitous electric outlets! New York constantly buzzes with traffic, jackhammers, honking horns, and helicopters. But what struck me most was the sheer volume of people glued to their devices while commuting and navigating the streets with hundreds of construction obstacles. It's like everyone's “plugged into” some invisible grid—phones, tablets, watches, headphones, earbuds, e-bikes—you name it. And that's where things get interesting. But, unlike our quiet suburban life, free outlets in NYC aren't exactly abundant. So, how do these New Yorkers keep their gadgets

What Time Is It

In this episode – What Time Is It . . . In the era before smartphones, let’s say we’re on a telephone call, and you ask me, “What time is it?” As a five-year-old, my reply is, "The big hand is on the two (2) and the little hand on the eight (8).” You would then say, "Alright, it's ten minutes after eight o’clock or eight-ten, right?" This is how we learned to tell time as children–remember? Well, what happened . . . During dinner last week in Westfield, NJ, a retired high school teacher told our group, “Did you know that children today cannot read the time on a traditional watch with an analog face?” “Why not?” we asked. “Because of smartphones and the proliferation of digital clocks.” “Wow! That’s hard to believe.” Welcome to this week's episode of "On the Fly." Today, we'll compare classic mechanical watches to modern quartz watches and explore an unexpected social shift. To begin with, let me take you back a few days. I’m a traditionalist and pre

It Runs on Steam

In this episode – It Runs on Steam . . . If you’ve seen Back to The Future III, you may remember Doc Brown's line, “It Runs on Steam !” Recently, I visited my good friend Billy in Westfield, New Jersey. Among his many other hobbies, Billy is a steam engine enthusiast. He proudly fired up his miniature steam engine and confidently explained its workings, which got me thinking . . . (Sound effect of Billy's steam engine whistle) Have you ever considered how environmentally friendly a steam engine powered by renewable energy could be? There would be no need for gasoline, batteries, diesel fuel, or Uranium-234. Imagine an engine powered by water—yes, water. I can hear the naysayers: "But . . .” Welcome back to On the Fly, where we dive into one of history's most fascinating inventions. Today, we're firing up a revolution – the Industrial Revolution, that is – with the mighty steam engine! For centuries, people relied on muscle, wind, and waterpower to get things do