Skip to main content

Peppe

An anomaly that often struck me about my friend Alister Peridot was the contrast between the precision of his methods and the impulsiveness of his personality.

Still, in the early morning, I carefully descended the hotel's narrow staircase. To my surprise, I found Peridot sipping coffee in the gathering room. He was impeccably dressed: a fine silk vest, a dashing red necktie, and shoes with their customary adamantine luster.

“What a marvelous view!”

Ponte Vecchio Bridge
“Yes, yes indeed, this splendid morning, we find ourselves in the heart of the city center, on the Arno River. He motioned to the window, “the famous Ponte Vecchio Bridge. Join me for breakfast, my boy,” said Peridot, as he waved his hand over our Petit-déjeuner. “We have a tasty selection of cheese and pastries. With a theatrical motion, he kissed the fingers on his right hand, “And the coffee is simply superb. What could be better? I believe the Italians call it La Dolce Vita, the sweet life."

“Professor, it’s difficult for me to believe we’re in Florence. Just the other day, Tsavorite Lane and voila, from what seems but a whim after reading about the birth of the Renaissance.

My friend simply smiled and said, “The wonders of modern air travel, Adamas. This morning we have an appointment with a former student of mine, Renaldo Rossi, managing director of the Uffizi Gallery,” said my colleague.

“What is our assignment?

Peridot gathered himself, “Monsieur Rossi would like us to examine the stone the museum received as a possible donation for the gallery exhibits. He posted an e-mail just last week. One of the very reasons we find ourselves in Florence today."

“Who was the donor?”

“An anonymous benefactor,” said Peridot.

“The stone?”

“He did not say, I suspect; however, it may be one of two stones; we will see upon arrival.”

We finished our breakfast. I excused myself to complete my morning preparations. Whenever Peridot and I engaged clients, it was routine for me to wear a bow tie.
Palazzo Vecchio

The Uffizi Gallery was a short walk from our hotel. It was another fine, clear day in Tuscany. With a song in our hearts and a smile on our faces, we strolled to the Palazzo Vecchio and came face-to-face with two sculptures.

The famous David, a masterpiece of Renaissance sculpture created between 1501 and 1504, by the maestro Michelangelo. And Hercules and Cacus by the Florentine artist Baccio Bandinelli (1525–1534). Somewhat confused and taken aback, “Why would these master works of art be exposed to the weather?” I asked Peridot.

“Not at all - Mon ami, the originals are held in the Galleria dell’Accademia - we will visit later.”

We paused for a moment to admire the statues, feeling quite giddy. “Professor, this may sound silly, but why would anyone donate a gemstone to the Uffizi? They exhibit no gem collection.”

“There must be another motive that I, Alister Peridot, must discover!

As we approached the museum, “Parbleu, we will never get in,” I exclaimed, “Look at the queue, it’s quite long.

Peridot calmly marched past the line to a side door and introduced me to a scholarly gentleman. He was tall and slim, with blue eyes and an inviting, clean-shaven face; he was casually dressed in a cardigan sweater, slacks, and fine Italian leather shoes.

“Adamas Bontemps, meet one of my outstanding students, Professor Renaldo Rossi,” said Peridot.

“The pleasure is mine,” I said as I bowed in respect to the elder gentleman.

“No need for such formalities, monsieur, my friends call me Peppe, and any friend of Professor Peridot is a friend of mine.” He said. “How have you been, Professor Peridot - he winked - have you scheduled a visit to our ciabattino for your new shoes?”

“Not this trip,” Peridot commented with his usual grin. “As you can see, as he extended a foot, these have lasted quite well. The university research department has asked me to test a new flexible, impregnated diamond thin-film polymer. It is an invaluable time saver; no need to polish them daily.”

Ahhhh . . . that explains the diamond-like adamantine luster, I thought to myself.

"Charming," Rossi commented, “Please come in, before you experience our galleries, I want you to see the stone that was donated.”

Peridot chimed in, “The benefactor, please describe him?”

“Absolutely - he was medium height, strong build, a swarthy complexion, somewhat ruddy, clean-shaven face, by his accent, I would say he was a Welsh gentleman - a rather talkative sort of fellow.”

“That’s our man; it seems we’re always just one step behind him,” I exclaimed.

We entered Professor Rossi’s office; he briskly walked up to his rather thrifty desk, opened the top left drawer, and pulled out a blue pouch. He handed the parcel to Peridot.

“What do you make of this?”

As Peridot removed the contents, the look on my face must have been ghastly. “Can it be?”

“Yes, as I suspected,” exclaimed Peridot – “This is none other than the Sapphire Synthetic Sapphire Doublet we recently examined in Mumbai. This carefully crafted ruse has made its way into your hands, I’m afraid, Peppe.”

In my confusion, “Tiens?” How can this be?

Peridot held up his right index finger, a hint of the lecturer crept into his tone, “We review the facts! My friends, a Kashmir Sapphire was switched from a boutique in Paris. That stone lacked a pedigree. We saw Dee Davies at the airport in Mumbai, intent on obtaining a lab report, the potential buyer, a collector in India. Foiled by Alister Peridot, Davies did not complete the sale and consequently returned to collect the stone.

Peppe, have you had contact with anyone regarding the movement of any gemstones?” asked Peridot.

“As a matter of fact, yes, there was a dapper gentleman who spoke Italian quite well but appeared to be an American. Claims to be an amateur art collector. He contacted me to ask whether we had ever received donations of gems, knowing that our gallery does not have a collection. He exhibits his personal collection in hotels.”

“Did he happen to say anything about recent objects offered for his collection?”

"Yes, he did, mentioned something about - a Peridot,” said Rossi, “that got my attention - that’s why I e-mailed you, Professor Peridot.”

Peridot continued, "My congratulations, Peppe, my recommendation is to phone or text this donor and let him know you are not interested in this stone.”

Peridot tapped his chin, deep in thought. “Where do you suppose this doublet will turn up next?”

… To be continued.

Comments

Patrick B. Ball said…
If your a fan of Hercule Peridot and his protege Adamas Bontemps please leave a comment or question.

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

Doc Welch - The Country Doctor

In this episode, Doc Welch . . . Many authors have characterized life in rural Illinois over the years. Among the more notables are Edgar Lee Masters, who wrote Spoon River Anthology, Carl Sandburg for his poetry and biography of Abraham Lincoln, and little known to me until recently, my first doctor, whom everyone in town always called Doc Welch - James K. Welch, M.D.  (Feb. 7, 1915, to May 5, 1998) While exploring the microfilm of the Cuba Journal (published from 1884 to 1992), I consistently kept running across articles entitled The Country Doctor. This intrigued me. Doc Welch was a third-generation practicing Country Doctor in Cuba for over 40 years. His father, James William Welch, M.D., practiced medicine in Cuba for more than five decades. His grandfather, James Knox Welch, M.D., settled in Cuba after the Civil War. Cuba, Illinois, is a small, rural farming community in west-central Illinois, where I grew up. Like many small towns, it boasts a central square with a ban...

The Rhythm of the Woodpecker

The morning in Vista often begins under a heavy, gray marine layer that rolls in from the coast, pressing a damp, muffled stillness over the neighborhood. At 4:30 a.m., the driveways are still full. The local commuters are either blissfully unconscious or stumbling blindly toward their showers, clinging desperately to their last shred of peace before the nine-to-five grind claims them for the day. I, on the other hand, am voluntarily wide awake in the dark. When your agenda consists of absolutely nothing, it is critical to get an early start. Inside the house, the quiet is profound, broken only by the sharp, mechanical click of the kettle as it reaches a rolling boil. I stand at the counter, watching the dark ground coffee bloom as hot water hits the French press's stainless steel. The smell is sudden and heavy—a deep, roasted-earth aroma that cuts through the morning fog. I push against the plunger’s gritty resistance, pouring a cup that radiates dark, stinging heat against my pal...