Skip to main content

A Dream–Converge 2035

In this episode, Echoes of Giants: A Dream Panel at Converge 2035

The year is 2035, and the world has changed. I didn't attend AGS/GIA Converge in Carlsbad, at least not in the way we once did. Instead, I sat in my living room, surrounded by the shimmering holograms of friends' posts.

In a dream, lectures floated before me in glowing 3D, memories made tangible—yet behind the futuristic spectacle, something old stirred inside me. It was a pull back to the years I spent at GIA from 1987 to 2014, a time of tactile learning, not holographic projections.

Two familiar faces appeared first: Dr. Jim Shigley, whose quiet generosity I'd relied on countless times, and John Koivula, whose incredible microphotography once graced our alumni newsletter, Facts on the Fly.

Their holographic presence felt so real it nudged me into a dream—one where time dissolved, and I found myself in a ballroom where past and future coexisted. A panel was about to begin, not just of peers, but of giants.

Richard T. Liddicoat Jr. — Mining for People, Now Asking You

Mr. Liddicoat appeared first, his posture steady and his gaze unwavering, just as I remembered from my student days. My chest tightened as I watched him—the kind man who once asked me about my plans after graduation now seemed alive once more.

He looked out over the crowd. "What are your plans after graduation?" he asked, his voice still rich and deliberate. A young student raised her hand, her voice trembling.

"Mr. Liddicoat, how do you identify potential in someone beyond their grades?"

I leaned forward, the question echoing my own youthful uncertainty.

"It's not just about what they know," he said, pausing with characteristic weight. "It's about curiosity, resilience, and the willingness to nurture others. That's how the future of gemology shines." As I heard it again, decades later, I realized he hadn't just seen diamonds in people. He had seen it in me.

G. Robert Crowningshield — Grace Under Pressure, Live and Unflustered

Then came Robert Crowningshield, tall and steady, with his manicured handlebar mustache twitching, smiling as if the years had never passed. He chuckled, recalling my infamous slide carousel mishap during his synthetic diamond lecture. I could feel the heat rising in my cheeks all over again.

"The panic in your eyes, Mr. Ball," his holographic self teased, "I remember it well." The audience laughed, and I laughed too, caught between embarrassment and a profound gratitude for his grace.

"How do you maintain composure when everything is going wrong?" someone asked.

He smiled knowingly. "Setbacks are opportunities for grace. A good recovery often impresses more than a flawless presentation." As he said it, I could still sense the quiet dignity he carried that night, inspiring me with a simple wink of his eye.

James Lucey — Lighting the Fire, Igniting New Passion

Then the air itself seemed to spark—Jim Lucey strolled onto the stage, flamboyant as ever. I felt my heart race; he always had that effect.

"Mr. Lucey," a student called, "how do we keep the passion for natural stones alive in a world of synthetics and AI grading?"

He raised his arms, eyes burning bright. "You've got to love the gems! If you don't love it, how can anyone else?" That spark, ignited so long ago in me, flared up again in an instant—a timeless reminder that passion surpasses technology.

Tawfic Farah — The Connector, Bridging Digital Divides

Tawfic Farah appeared next, his gentle smile as warm as I remembered. My throat tightened when he spoke my name—"Patrick"—with that same quiet kindness.

"Mr. Farah," came the question, "how do we build connections in an increasingly digital, global industry?"

He nodded, his holographic form glowing softly. "Technology connects us, yes. But meaning comes from laughter, shared meals, and the bridges we build between cultures." In that moment, I could smell the bread we'd once shared at a long-ago dinner, his lesson now ringing even truer in this holographic age.

Dr. Jim Shigley — The Steady Scientist, Guiding Future Research

Then came the Doc. Jim Shigley appeared, calm and steady, and I felt that same comfort I once did when he walked into any alumni gathering.

"Dr. Shigley," a student asked, "what remains the biggest challenge in gemology today?"

"Curiosity," he replied. "The biggest mystery is always in what we haven't yet observed." His words settled over me like a quiet truth: science changes, but his generosity of spirit never did.

John Koivula — Through the Lens, Revealing Hidden Worlds

Then John Koivula held up a quartz crystal, its phantom inclusions magnified across the holographic screen. I leaned in instinctively—I'd seen that same wonder in his eyes decades ago.

"Mr. Koivula," came the question, "what advice do you have for microphotographers in the age of AI imaging?"

His voice was firm, proud. "AI can enhance, but it cannot see with your wonder. Your lens is not just a tool—it's your vision." He had once shared his vision with our alumni newsletter; now, he was gifting it to the future.

Zig Ziglar — Re-Firing the Spirit

Finally, Zig Ziglar appeared and walked to the front, his holographic form as vibrant as the man himself. He might not have been a gemologist, but his books influenced my career just as much as any mentor. With unmistakable flair, he delivered Ken Blanchard's famous line:

"You don't retire—you re-fire!"

The crowd leapt to their feet, applause thundering through the ballroom.

When I awoke, the applause still ringing in my ears, the ballroom had vanished. But the lessons remained, alive and immediate.

Maybe it was only a dream, or perhaps it was a reminder: that curiosity, generosity, passion, connection, and faith in the future aren't bound by time or technology. They're waiting for us to call them forward, to keep them alive in the work we do now.

Like Zig said, we're not finished. We're re-fired.

I'm Patrick Ball. Stay curious. Ask questions. See you in the next episode.

Comments

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

Doc Welch - The Country Doctor

In this episode, Doc Welch . . . Many authors have characterized life in rural Illinois over the years. Among the more notables are Edgar Lee Masters, who wrote Spoon River Anthology, Carl Sandburg for his poetry and biography of Abraham Lincoln, and little known to me until recently, my first doctor, whom everyone in town always called Doc Welch - James K. Welch, M.D.  (Feb. 7, 1915, to May 5, 1998) While exploring the microfilm of the Cuba Journal (published from 1884 to 1992), I consistently kept running across articles entitled The Country Doctor. This intrigued me. Doc Welch was a third-generation practicing Country Doctor in Cuba for over 40 years. His father, James William Welch, M.D., practiced medicine in Cuba for more than five decades. His grandfather, James Knox Welch, M.D., settled in Cuba after the Civil War. Cuba, Illinois, is a small, rural farming community in west-central Illinois, where I grew up. Like many small towns, it boasts a central square with a ban...

The Rhythm of the Woodpecker

The morning in Vista often begins under a heavy, gray marine layer that rolls in from the coast, pressing a damp, muffled stillness over the neighborhood. At 4:30 a.m., the driveways are still full. The local commuters are either blissfully unconscious or stumbling blindly toward their showers, clinging desperately to their last shred of peace before the nine-to-five grind claims them for the day. I, on the other hand, am voluntarily wide awake in the dark. When your agenda consists of absolutely nothing, it is critical to get an early start. Inside the house, the quiet is profound, broken only by the sharp, mechanical click of the kettle as it reaches a rolling boil. I stand at the counter, watching the dark ground coffee bloom as hot water hits the French press's stainless steel. The smell is sudden and heavy—a deep, roasted-earth aroma that cuts through the morning fog. I push against the plunger’s gritty resistance, pouring a cup that radiates dark, stinging heat against my pal...