Skip to main content

Tucson in Motion

In this episode, Tucson in Motion . . .

Welcome back to On the Fly! What comes to mind when you think of Tucson, AZ?


Do you envision the iconic Western movies filmed in Old Tucson, where cowboy legends came to life? Classics like Rio Bravo, starring John Wayne; the hilarious The Three Amigos, featuring Steve Martin, Chevy Chase, and Martin Short; or the unforgettable Gunfight at the O.K. Corral, with Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas, all brought their stories to life against Tucson’s rugged landscapes. Old Tucson Studios set the stage for these cinematic treasures, which became synonymous with the Western genre.


During our stay from December 14 to 21, 2024, Robert and Orasa Weldon's incredible hospitality gave us the fantastic opportunity to experience Tucson like never before.


For years, while working at GIA, I visited Tucson to attend the annual Gem & Mineral Show, which attracts enthusiasts from around the globe each February. However, the city's impressive network of over 130 miles of car-free bicycle trails, including the award-winning Loop, truly beckons. Tucson serves as a haven for cyclists of all levels, offering serene paths and the challenging climbs of Mount Lemmon for a magical exploration on wheels.


It didn't take long to realize that Tucson has much more to offer. Robert suggested Sabino Canyon, where trails wind through desert landscapes, leading to panoramic views of the Santa Catalina Mountains.


Imagine standing at dusk in Sabino Canyon as the sun sinks on the horizon. The sky exhibits vivid oranges streaked with soft pinks. Shadows stretch across sandy paths, and the air cools in the evening. Around you, the desert textures come alive: towering saguaro cacti stand as silent sentinels against the colorful sky. Barrel cacti and prickly pear dot the landscape, their green pads catching the fading light. Be careful–don’t touch.


Listen carefully; you hear the faint rustles of desert wildlife—a distant coyote call and a quail settling in for the night. The earthy aroma mingles with blooming desert flowers. It’s a moment of serene beauty, capturing Tucson’s enchanting natural world.


The vibrant Mercado District, Robert's neighborhood, is an eclectic cultural hub on Tucson’s west side. It blends old-world charm with modern design, showcasing colorful adobe homes and intricate ironwork courtyards. Brick-lined streets lead you through locally owned shops, artisan markets, and inviting restaurants featuring handmade jewelry, pottery, and boutique clothing.


Aromas of fresh coffees, tortillas, and roasted chiles drift from cozy taquerias, while cafes and wine bars provide places to unwind. The Mercado serves as a gathering spot where music, art, and good food unite, embodying Tucson’s rich cultural tapestry.


If you’re a train enthusiast, visit the Southern Arizona Transportation Museum at 414 N Toole Ave. It’s a must-see! One of the highlights is the Southern Pacific Steam Engine #1673, built in 1900, which has logged over one million miles. You can enter the engineer’s cabin and ring the train’s bell. Pull hard on the rope, and you’ll feel like you’re right there on the train!


My listening friends, if you’re looking for a delightful winter getaway, consider exploring Tucson’s vibrant blend of culture, history, and nature, which is truly irresistible; for those who can’t visit Tucson–flip on the television and watch an old Western movie.


I’m Patrick Ball; thanks for listening. See you next episode.

Comments

Most Popular of All Time

Sunflowers, French Steel, and the Yellow Jersey

Watching Le Tour de France this year, I found myself transported back to August 1983 as the Peloton in Stage 10, Bastille Day, flowed through the French countryside like a brightly colored ribbon. I was in my twenties, visiting family in the Charente-Maritime region of France, completely obsessed with bicycle racing—and convinced I was much stronger than I was. My connection to cycling—and to France—runs deep. I was born in France, and my very first real road bike, at age fifteen, was a Mercier . To me, it wasn’t just a bicycle; it was a work of art made from beautiful French steel. I rode that bike for miles, through high school, into college, and until the day someone decided they needed it more than I did. I hope they at least appreciated the craftsmanship. Its untimely disappearance led me to a Schwinn Voyageur, and later, when I started racing around Illinois, to a Raleigh Competition . But during that summer of ’83, while staying with my Uncle Jean Paul in Lagord, just north of L...

Morning Coffee

In this episode, Morning Coffee . . . Now, I’m not saying everyone needs coffee. Some folks get by just fine on, I don’t know, sunlight and positive thinking. Me? I’m pretty sure I started drinking the stuff sometime around the Reagan administration. Reading John Gierach’s "Ode to Campfire Coffee" in Trout Bum (a book that should be required reading for anyone who sees sleeping on the ground as recreation) got me thinking about how we’ve managed to complicate something as fundamentally simple as boiling water and adding grounds. Taste, you say? Look, black coffee is an acquired taste, like tequila or cilantro. I just don’t get it. Gierach, bless his heart, mostly drinks his java streamside, probably while wearing wool socks and waders and contemplating the mysteries of the universe. As for me? My outdoor coffee experience is a bit different. Picture this: the High Sierra, where campfires are banned (to avoid agitating Smoky Bear), and I’m huddled over a Whisperlite , coax...

The Endless Work of Wisdom

It always makes me smile. The moment people learn I've officially entered what I like to call the Great Un-Working (retirement), they almost immediately ask the same question: “So . . . What do you do now?" I think they're expecting me to say I'm restoring a vintage sports car, hiking the John Muir Trail, or finally becoming fluent in French.   Instead, I tell them: "I live life deliberately." That's usually the point when I get a polite nod, followed by the unmistakable look of someone wondering whether I've simply found a more sophisticated way to say, “I’m becoming a bum.” Apparently, "living deliberately" sounds suspiciously like unemployment, just better branding. The truth is, what living deliberately looks like for me right now is taking time to synthesize a lifetime of experiences into these weekly reflections. It's slowing down long enough to ask what those experiences have taught me, while keeping the door wide open to the poss...

A Tucson Typewriter Tale

One of the great joys of wandering without much of a plan is that the universe occasionally rewards your lack of organization. During my recent visit to Tucson, AZ, Robert and I were strolling through the Annex this afternoon, doing what tourists and newly minted retirees like me have elevated to an Olympic sport: meandering. The Annex is one of those places where every few steps there's another handmade candle, artisan coffee, or vintage object someone rescued from a garage sale and convinced the rest of us was always destined to become art. Then I saw something that genuinely stopped me. A young woman standing quietly behind a manual typewriter. Not a laptop designed to look like a typewriter. Not a quirky Bluetooth keyboard. An honest-to-goodness mechanical typewriter—the sort of machine that once announced every sentence to the entire office with a satisfying clack and enough force to wake nearby pigeons. With an iPhone 16 sitting in my pocket in an age when people write novels...