Skip to main content

Tucson in Motion

In this episode, Tucson in Motion . . .

Welcome back to On the Fly! What comes to mind when you think of Tucson, AZ?


Do you envision the iconic Western movies filmed in Old Tucson, where cowboy legends came to life? Classics like Rio Bravo, starring John Wayne; the hilarious The Three Amigos, featuring Steve Martin, Chevy Chase, and Martin Short; or the unforgettable Gunfight at the O.K. Corral, with Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas, all brought their stories to life against Tucson’s rugged landscapes. Old Tucson Studios set the stage for these cinematic treasures, which became synonymous with the Western genre.


During our stay from December 14 to 21, 2024, Robert and Orasa Weldon's incredible hospitality gave us the fantastic opportunity to experience Tucson like never before.


For years, while working at GIA, I visited Tucson to attend the annual Gem & Mineral Show, which attracts enthusiasts from around the globe each February. However, the city's impressive network of over 130 miles of car-free bicycle trails, including the award-winning Loop, truly beckons. Tucson serves as a haven for cyclists of all levels, offering serene paths and the challenging climbs of Mount Lemmon for a magical exploration on wheels.


It didn't take long to realize that Tucson has much more to offer. Robert suggested Sabino Canyon, where trails wind through desert landscapes, leading to panoramic views of the Santa Catalina Mountains.


Imagine standing at dusk in Sabino Canyon as the sun sinks on the horizon. The sky exhibits vivid oranges streaked with soft pinks. Shadows stretch across sandy paths, and the air cools in the evening. Around you, the desert textures come alive: towering saguaro cacti stand as silent sentinels against the colorful sky. Barrel cacti and prickly pear dot the landscape, their green pads catching the fading light. Be careful–don’t touch.


Listen carefully; you hear the faint rustles of desert wildlife—a distant coyote call and a quail settling in for the night. The earthy aroma mingles with blooming desert flowers. It’s a moment of serene beauty, capturing Tucson’s enchanting natural world.


The vibrant Mercado District, Robert's neighborhood, is an eclectic cultural hub on Tucson’s west side. It blends old-world charm with modern design, showcasing colorful adobe homes and intricate ironwork courtyards. Brick-lined streets lead you through locally owned shops, artisan markets, and inviting restaurants featuring handmade jewelry, pottery, and boutique clothing.


Aromas of fresh coffees, tortillas, and roasted chiles drift from cozy taquerias, while cafes and wine bars provide places to unwind. The Mercado serves as a gathering spot where music, art, and good food unite, embodying Tucson’s rich cultural tapestry.


If you’re a train enthusiast, visit the Southern Arizona Transportation Museum at 414 N Toole Ave. It’s a must-see! One of the highlights is the Southern Pacific Steam Engine #1673, built in 1900, which has logged over one million miles. You can enter the engineer’s cabin and ring the train’s bell. Pull hard on the rope, and you’ll feel like you’re right there on the train!


My listening friends, if you’re looking for a delightful winter getaway, consider exploring Tucson’s vibrant blend of culture, history, and nature, which is truly irresistible; for those who can’t visit Tucson–flip on the television and watch an old Western movie.


I’m Patrick Ball; thanks for listening. See you next episode.

Comments

Most Popular of All Time

Sunflowers, French Steel, and the Yellow Jersey

Watching Le Tour de France this year, I found myself transported back to August 1983 as the Peloton in Stage 10, Bastille Day, flowed through the French countryside like a brightly colored ribbon. I was in my twenties, visiting family in the Charente-Maritime region of France, completely obsessed with bicycle racing—and convinced I was much stronger than I was. My connection to cycling—and to France—runs deep. I was born in France, and my very first real road bike, at age fifteen, was a Mercier . To me, it wasn’t just a bicycle; it was a work of art made from beautiful French steel. I rode that bike for miles, through high school, into college, and until the day someone decided they needed it more than I did. I hope they at least appreciated the craftsmanship. Its untimely disappearance led me to a Schwinn Voyageur, and later, when I started racing around Illinois, to a Raleigh Competition . But during that summer of ’83, while staying with my Uncle Jean Paul in Lagord, just north of L...

The Big Rip and the First Tee

The telescope (Celestron) sits quietly under its cover, temporarily blinded by Southern California's annual meteorological hostage situation – June Gloom. Somewhere above that thick gray ceiling, photons that began their journey before humans appeared are streaming across the cosmos, only to be intercepted by a marine layer that seems to have veto power over astronomy. Instead of observing the universe, I find myself imagining – The End of Everything (Astrophysically Speaking) by physicist Katie Mack. According to modern cosmology, the universe may eventually end in a Big Rip, a Big Crunch, Heat Death, Vacuum Decay, or some other catastrophe that sounds suspiciously like a rejected heavy-metal album title. Astrophysicists spend their careers calmly discussing the possibility that reality itself could suddenly cease to exist because a quantum field had a bad day. It's a remarkable way to start a Saturday morning. One moment you're contemplating the ultimate fate of spacetime...

Rediscovering the Magic of Summer . . .

Summer mornings, especially on a holiday weekend, have a special magic. The air is cool, the world quiet, and the day full of possibilities. This July 4th weekend, Lori and I decided to capture a bit of that magic by beating the holiday traffic with an early morning bicycle ride. We went through our usual pre-flight checklist: Stretched out the morning stiffness. Filled the water bottles. Strapped on the helmets. Checked the tires. Three tires passed inspection. The fourth had apparently declared independence. The rear tire on my e-bike was flatter than a Kansas highway. “Well, it looks like we’re not riding today,” Lori said, with the calm acceptance of someone who had already mentally promoted coffee to the day’s main event. “Why not?” I replied. “I’ll ride my old bike.” She gave me that look —the one that safely translates as, "Are you sure about this? " “Absolutely,” I said. “Why not?” I dragged the bike stand out and surveyed my options. One glance at the aggressive gear...

The Yellow Legal Pad

In this episode, the Art of Refiring July 1st is staring me in the face, less than two weeks away. For years, retirement seemed like something that happened to other people. Suddenly, it's on my calendar. I've been thinking a lot about the dreaded "R-word" lately. Not because I'm worried about having enough to do. Quite the opposite. What fascinates me is this strange paradox: Why does retirement make so many of us nervous, while having a job—even one that regularly drives us crazy—somehow feels comforting? Let's be honest. Most of us spend years complaining about meetings that should have been emails, reply-all disasters, impossible deadlines, and that one coworker who insists on microwaving leftover fish in the breakroom. Yet when the idea of walking away finally arrives, we hesitate. I think I've figured out why. A career isn't just a job. It's a highly structured coping mechanism. For forty-plus years, somebody else has basically decided what I...