Skip to main content

Macy's Day Parade

In this episode - Macy’s Day Parade . . .

Thanksgiving in America is known for traditions like turkey dinners, football games, and Black Friday sales. The Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade is a long-standing tradition that captures millions of hearts.

For nearly a century, the parade has been a source of joy for people of all ages, attracting millions of viewers in person and on television. The parade features giant balloons, marching bands, Broadway musical casts, and celebrity performers, making it America's biggest Thanksgiving Day spectacle. It is hard to imagine Thanksgiving morning without this iconic parade. But how did it all begin? And how has it become a beloved tradition that people look forward to every year?

It was 1924, and Macy's held its first Thanksgiving Day Parade. The parade featured store employees, entertainers, floats, marching bands, and animals from the Central Park Zoo. Santa Claus concluded the parade by riding into Herald Square. Over a quarter million New Yorkers attended the parade, and Macy's declared it an annual event.

Over the years, the parade has transformed into a magnificent spectacle with large helium-filled balloons instead of zoo animals. The Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company created the balloons in the late 1920s, back then released and return address labels were sewn into them so that whoever found them could return them to Macy's and receive a reward.

Macey’s parade grew in popularity throughout the 1930s, and by 1933, it had over a million viewers. The festivities were broadcast over the radio starting in 1932 and continuing until the advent of television. The parade was put on hold from 1942-1944 due to World War II, but it resumed in 1945, breaking records with its crowds.

In 1947, the movie "Miracle on 34th Street" celebrated the parade, which was then known as the "Macy's Day Parade." This marked a turning point, and the tradition became well-known and beloved.

1948, the parade was broadcast on national television for the first time. CBS aired the festivities for the first few years, but since 1952, NBC has broadcast the official telecast. The telecast has gone through a long list of hosts, from Betty White to Ed McMahon to Katie Couric. The current team to lead the TV coverage includes Today Show hosts Al Roker, Savannah Guthrie, and Hoda Kotb.

The Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in 2016 had an estimated 45 million viewers, with four million lining the route in NYC. It's the most-watched non-competitive event of its kind on Television every year - a symbol of holiday joy throughout the country.

I’m Patrick Ball. Happy Thanksgiving! See you in the next episode.

Comments

Most Popular of All Time

Sunflowers, French Steel, and the Yellow Jersey

Watching Le Tour de France this year, I found myself transported back to August 1983 as the Peloton in Stage 10, Bastille Day, flowed through the French countryside like a brightly colored ribbon. I was in my twenties, visiting family in the Charente-Maritime region of France, completely obsessed with bicycle racing—and convinced I was much stronger than I was. My connection to cycling—and to France—runs deep. I was born in France, and my very first real road bike, at age fifteen, was a Mercier . To me, it wasn’t just a bicycle; it was a work of art made from beautiful French steel. I rode that bike for miles, through high school, into college, and until the day someone decided they needed it more than I did. I hope they at least appreciated the craftsmanship. Its untimely disappearance led me to a Schwinn Voyageur, and later, when I started racing around Illinois, to a Raleigh Competition . But during that summer of ’83, while staying with my Uncle Jean Paul in Lagord, just north of L...

The Big Rip and the First Tee

The telescope (Celestron) sits quietly under its cover, temporarily blinded by Southern California's annual meteorological hostage situation – June Gloom. Somewhere above that thick gray ceiling, photons that began their journey before humans appeared are streaming across the cosmos, only to be intercepted by a marine layer that seems to have veto power over astronomy. Instead of observing the universe, I find myself imagining – The End of Everything (Astrophysically Speaking) by physicist Katie Mack. According to modern cosmology, the universe may eventually end in a Big Rip, a Big Crunch, Heat Death, Vacuum Decay, or some other catastrophe that sounds suspiciously like a rejected heavy-metal album title. Astrophysicists spend their careers calmly discussing the possibility that reality itself could suddenly cease to exist because a quantum field had a bad day. It's a remarkable way to start a Saturday morning. One moment you're contemplating the ultimate fate of spacetime...

The Places You'll Go . . .

Well, the time has arrived. Yes, July's drawing near, And somehow I've managed to last seven years! I've analyzed forecasts and studied the trends, While spreadsheets multiplied without seeming to end. We've planned for the sunshine, the storms, and the load, while Mother Nature kept changing the code. But through all the numbers, the forecasts, and charts, the best part of Cenergy's always been hearts. The people beside me, year after year, Made even the toughest challenges clear. To the bright, talented folks reading this today, The future is yours now—you're well on your way. And unlike my era, here's the key: You’ll work with AI just as smooth as can be. The reports that took hours may take only minutes. The models you build with intelligence in it. The data will flow faster than ever before, While AI handles tasks that are mostly a bore! But here's my advice as I head out the door: Technology changes, but people matter more. AI can predict, calcula...

Rediscovering the Magic of Summer . . .

Summer mornings, especially on a holiday weekend, have a special magic. The air is cool, the world quiet, and the day full of possibilities. This July 4th weekend, Lori and I decided to capture a bit of that magic by beating the holiday traffic with an early morning bicycle ride. We went through our usual pre-flight checklist: Stretched out the morning stiffness. Filled the water bottles. Strapped on the helmets. Checked the tires. Three tires passed inspection. The fourth had apparently declared independence. The rear tire on my e-bike was flatter than a Kansas highway. “Well, it looks like we’re not riding today,” Lori said, with the calm acceptance of someone who had already mentally promoted coffee to the day’s main event. “Why not?” I replied. “I’ll ride my old bike.” She gave me that look —the one that safely translates as, "Are you sure about this? " “Absolutely,” I said. “Why not?” I dragged the bike stand out and surveyed my options. One glance at the aggressive gear...