Skip to main content

Junior's Jungle Gym

In this episode - Juniors' Jungle Gym . . .

Does a cat own you? Then I'm sure you know what it's like to be a Jungle Gym. You Don't? Well, allow me to explain.

It begins early each morning (usually 4:30 a.m.) Whomp, you hear the cat, Junior, jump onto the bed. He climbs onto your chest and sticks his nose directly to mine. A friendly face greets me with two large, bright, golden-greenish eyes, white whiskers, and what appears to be a smiling face.

Meow, translation - ”Time to get up.”

"Good morning Junior. (Jr.) Ok, ok, I'm getting up.”

Stretching, you make your way to the bathroom, have a seat, then Whomp, Jr. leaps from the floor to your shoulders and starts his motor purring in your ear.

"What's up, Jr.? Where's Missy.”

Both Junior and his sister Missy spend their days lounging around the house, mainly sleeping. They are decidedly indoor cats. Over the years, we've lost too many cats to varmints that populate the open space behind our house. Jr. and Missy were four months old when we adopted them from the shelter. Thank goodness they are content to wander the house and sit on the windowsills to watch the world go by.

So, you make your way downstairs to prepare the morning coffee to start the day. And there's Jr. seated in the corner watching your every move - waiting!

Once the coffee is ready, you grab your cup and head back upstairs to the computer in your office. It's quiet, you're going through emails - then Whomp, Jr. pounces into your lap and starts squirming back and forth. His tail slaps the keyboard, and all kinds of commands appear on your screen. Not content to sit in your lap, he climbs back on your shoulders to get a better view of what's going on.

About this time, Lori gets up, grabs her morning coffee, and heads for the couch - Ah-Ha, another lap. Jr. scampers downstairs to claim yet another lap. Where's Missy this entire time, you ask? She is casually sitting on the footstool in front of the sofa, just watching this go by.

Now it's breakfast; he follows you to the kitchen, then Whomp jumps on the table. Cautiously he has to make sure nothing has changed, sniffing everything, including your breakfast. Trying desperately to get a lap, he climbs back to your shoulders, not deterred.

"Ok, Jr., time for work.”

So, Jr. yawns jumps down from the table, and retires to his daytime snooze spot. Meanwhile, Missy casually raises her head and watches all this go by . . .

It's early evening; the garage door opens, and as we walk through the door, there's Junior to greet us - stretching - waking up from his all-day snooze, ready to resume his acrobatics.

With a rather demanding - Meow, he runs to his chair (my recliner) in the TV room, leaps to the back, and turns to look at me as if to say; it's about time you got home; come sit down and make me a lap, I want to stretch out.

Perfectly content, he lounges as you scratch behind his ear, purring happily for about five minutes. Then, immediately, he's up, leaps to the footstool in front of Lori's chair assumes his most regal pose, and stares directly at her.

"Ok, with a tilt of his head, as if to say, you've been home at least fifteen minutes. Where's my supper?”

Lori goes to the kitchen, picks up their bowls, and tout de suit Missy comes to life. She starts meowing and walking in circles while Junior sits patiently waiting for his supper. After supper, Missy returns to her spot, circles a few times then settles in for the evening.

Now ready for action, the jungle cat decides its time to check out the garage, makes his rounds, then, with a burst of blinding speed, circumnavigates the living room, jumping from one chair to another, over the top of Lori, then - Whomp pounces on to my lap. Not content, he jumps from lap to lap throughout the evening.

"Ok, Jr., time for bed.”

He immediately claims my warm chair and allows me to get ready for bed; I'm tucked in for the night, then I hear the bedroom door open - Whomp, it's back to my chest until he realizes I'm going to sleep. So, it's back downstairs to claim Lori's lap once more before she turns in for the night.

There you have it, a day in the life as Juniors Jungle Gym.

I’m Patrick Ball; thanks for listening. I'll see you in the next episode.

Comments

Don H. said…
I think your cats are telling us the meaning of life: Explore my surroundings, choose to accept the world I'm living in and just relax and just BE!
Patrick B. Ball said…
You know Don, I think you're probably correct.

Most Popular of All Time

Sunflowers, French Steel, and the Yellow Jersey

Watching Le Tour de France this year, I found myself transported back to August 1983 as the Peloton in Stage 10, Bastille Day, flowed through the French countryside like a brightly colored ribbon. I was in my twenties, visiting family in the Charente-Maritime region of France, completely obsessed with bicycle racing—and convinced I was much stronger than I was. My connection to cycling—and to France—runs deep. I was born in France, and my very first real road bike, at age fifteen, was a Mercier . To me, it wasn’t just a bicycle; it was a work of art made from beautiful French steel. I rode that bike for miles, through high school, into college, and until the day someone decided they needed it more than I did. I hope they at least appreciated the craftsmanship. Its untimely disappearance led me to a Schwinn Voyageur, and later, when I started racing around Illinois, to a Raleigh Competition . But during that summer of ’83, while staying with my Uncle Jean Paul in Lagord, just north of L...

Morning Coffee

In this episode, Morning Coffee . . . Now, I’m not saying everyone needs coffee. Some folks get by just fine on, I don’t know, sunlight and positive thinking. Me? I’m pretty sure I started drinking the stuff sometime around the Reagan administration. Reading John Gierach’s "Ode to Campfire Coffee" in Trout Bum (a book that should be required reading for anyone who sees sleeping on the ground as recreation) got me thinking about how we’ve managed to complicate something as fundamentally simple as boiling water and adding grounds. Taste, you say? Look, black coffee is an acquired taste, like tequila or cilantro. I just don’t get it. Gierach, bless his heart, mostly drinks his java streamside, probably while wearing wool socks and waders and contemplating the mysteries of the universe. As for me? My outdoor coffee experience is a bit different. Picture this: the High Sierra, where campfires are banned (to avoid agitating Smoky Bear), and I’m huddled over a Whisperlite , coax...

The Endless Work of Wisdom

It always makes me smile. The moment people learn I've officially entered what I like to call the Great Un-Working (retirement), they almost immediately ask the same question: “So . . . What do you do now?" I think they're expecting me to say I'm restoring a vintage sports car, hiking the John Muir Trail, or finally becoming fluent in French.   Instead, I tell them: "I live life deliberately." That's usually the point when I get a polite nod, followed by the unmistakable look of someone wondering whether I've simply found a more sophisticated way to say, “I’m becoming a bum.” Apparently, "living deliberately" sounds suspiciously like unemployment, just better branding. The truth is, what living deliberately looks like for me right now is taking time to synthesize a lifetime of experiences into these weekly reflections. It's slowing down long enough to ask what those experiences have taught me, while keeping the door wide open to the poss...

A Tucson Typewriter Tale

One of the great joys of wandering without much of a plan is that the universe occasionally rewards your lack of organization. During my recent visit to Tucson, AZ, Robert and I were strolling through the Annex this afternoon, doing what tourists and newly minted retirees like me have elevated to an Olympic sport: meandering. The Annex is one of those places where every few steps there's another handmade candle, artisan coffee, or vintage object someone rescued from a garage sale and convinced the rest of us was always destined to become art. Then I saw something that genuinely stopped me. A young woman standing quietly behind a manual typewriter. Not a laptop designed to look like a typewriter. Not a quirky Bluetooth keyboard. An honest-to-goodness mechanical typewriter—the sort of machine that once announced every sentence to the entire office with a satisfying clack and enough force to wake nearby pigeons. With an iPhone 16 sitting in my pocket in an age when people write novels...