Skip to main content

A Jade's Story

Dont be alarmed, yes, its me, Im the ravishing beauty on your wrist, and my name is Jade. I know just what youre thinking - how can this possibly be - this bracelet is talking to me? People dont realize it but we try to talk to your species all the time. Its just that most of you are too academic to listen. If I reveal my inner secrets to you will you share them with your world?

I am what your species calls a mineral; one of over 3,000 known minerals, and a gem among gemstones. Most call me Jade. However, gemologists classify my family into two species, nephrite and jadeite. I realize that my cousin, nephrite,  has slightly different characteristics. But what does that matter? Weve been around much longer than you. Grab a seat and let me tell you my story.

My interest in your species began in ancient Burma (Myanmar), where the majority of my species is from. I am utterly fascinated with how your people respond to my beauty, mystique, inherent value, and allure. You have referenced me in many any ancient textbooks; Confucius said, Jade is like virtue and its brightness represents heaven. Im flattered. Its believed that my smooth, luscious, texture and soothing color promotes wisdom, spiritual balance, and peace among your people, and for that I am proud.

So, please enjoy my silky feel as I caress your wrist. If I bring you pleasure, boost your self-esteem, or simply fill a craving in your heart for beauty then I am safe with you. Many of my family have been passed down through generations of yours. Im typically shaped into bracelets, cabochons, tablets, beads, or carvings. If you take good care of me, we will be companions for a long time.

There are many other beautiful gemstones that can look similar to me, particularly in this semitransparent, intense green color you so admire; Maw-sit-sit, hydrogrossular garnet, idocrase, saussurite, dyed jadeite, prehnite, turquoise, nephrite, and dyed calcite. And I can appear in so many other colors as well! Your own ancient Chinese wisdom says, Gems are valuable; Jade is priceless.

Compared to other gemstones, Im not a hard one to know, 6.5 on what you call the Moh scale, but you can bank on the fact that Im one tough cookie. My fibrous, interlocking, aggregate structure makes it difficult for me to break. Its said that I will, in fact, protect my wearer from harm, particularly from a fall. You can wear me on your wrist for life and Ill always maintain my integrity. Speaking of integrity, Im surprised and somewhat dismayed that your species are always finding new ways to alter my appearance. In so-doing, youve given me quite a few, and if I may say, odd names; A Type Jade, B Type Jade, C Type Jade. I understand why, too. It goes back to what you humans call inherent value. An untouched lustrous specimen, rich in color, like me, is very, very rare, composed by Mother Nature, herself. But Ive seen these cosmetically altered (treated) Jades in abundance, whose new “look” is the result of some laboratory interference, a human attempt to make some of us look better than we actually are. Who are you trying to fool - and why? Like you, were all unique, and beautiful in our own, natural way: cant you accept that fact?

Gemologists too, are often poking, scratching, and dabbing me with chemicals, though I understand that in some ways, it is necessary: it’s an attempt to document my characteristics for proof of identification. But listen carefully: when you take time to really get to know me, like some of you do at the Jade Market in Hong Kong, for example, (one of my favorite cities, by the way) you will recognize me for what I actually am; an intimate friend and loyal companion. I see merchants in that fair city whispering among one another as Im passed around. These experts recognize me with their practiced eye for assessing my superb color, or my greasy luster. I feel their appreciation of my translucent appearance, and their expert fingers that caress me with a gentle touch.

Sometimes I’m truly difficult to recognize, especially for those who don’t have the expertise in handling my species, and they may ignore or overlook certain important characteristics. For example, light interacts with my structure to provide a good 1.66 spot reading on the refractometer instrument. Oh, and by the way, that contact liquid used to measure my refractive index seems like such a strong chemical. I urge you to step back and really look at me: feel my texture, learn to trust your observational skills, your intuition, and power of deductive thinking. If you do travel to Hong Kong, take a lesson from practiced Jade experts; they identify my quality simply by my appearance and lustrous feel.

I realize that the price put upon me can be very high, and this makes people nervous. Such people need written proof of my originality. There are some laboratories today that can provide you with an identification report to ease your fears, especially when the boundary between nephrite and jadeite are blurred, or when it is just not clear if I an treated or not - or to what degree. You can tell the world about me in whatever way you choose, though I insist you always disclose any alterations to my otherwise natural make-up.

I want to recommend that you become an expert about me though sight and touch. You may also document my properties with pages of scientific facts; however, realize, your species only listens when they’re quite ready to. I call this, “selective absorption.”

Remember this: you made the commitment to take me home with you. It was purely emotional, wasnt it?  Good, then our relationship is just beginning, lets travel the world and just enjoy lifes experiences together. Isnt that the true value we share in this lifetime?

Wear me with pride and please, from now on - let me do the talking . . .

(This post appeared in Winter 2013 edition, WJA News San Diego)

Comments

Most Popular of All Time

The Who Was - Series

In this episode, the Who Was? - Series . . . With over 250 titles, Penguin Random House Books Who Was?  - Series tells the incredible stories of trailblazers, legends, innovators, and creators. Are you a bibliophile, an individual who loves and frequently reads books (a bookworm)? What is it that compels you to pick up a book? Is it the cover, is it the title, how about an interest in a specialized subject, or just - perhaps it's a whim? One of my ultimate goals with these podcasts is to reach a young audience. I've found that reading children's books is a gratifying and educational experience. Yes, even grown-ups can understand difficult concepts. To my surprise, both children and adults seem to appreciate the experience. With education such a hot topic in the news right now, we need to be reminded that whether it's going to school, visiting a museum, or online learning, the goal of education (both young and old) is to nurture an interest in learning. William Butler Ye

Big Apple, Big Charge

In this episode –  Big Apple, Big Charge  . . . Welcome back to On the Fly, your weekly dose of quirky observations and unexpected trends. Today, we're fresh off a trip to the Scaffolding/Plywood jungle, where we witnessed a phenomenon that will make you rethink your relationship with the humble wall socket. That's right, we're talking about New York City, and it's . . . wait for ­­it — Free, ubiquitous electric outlets! New York constantly buzzes with traffic, jackhammers, honking horns, and helicopters. But what struck me most was the sheer volume of people glued to their devices while commuting and navigating the streets with hundreds of construction obstacles. It's like everyone's “plugged into” some invisible grid—phones, tablets, watches, headphones, earbuds, e-bikes—you name it. And that's where things get interesting. But, unlike our quiet suburban life, free outlets in NYC aren't exactly abundant. So, how do these New Yorkers keep their gadgets

What Time Is It

In this episode – What Time Is It . . . In the era before smartphones, let’s say we’re on a telephone call, and you ask me, “What time is it?” As a five-year-old, my reply is, "The big hand is on the two (2) and the little hand on the eight (8).” You would then say, "Alright, it's ten minutes after eight o’clock or eight-ten, right?" This is how we learned to tell time as children–remember? Well, what happened . . . During dinner last week in Westfield, NJ, a retired high school teacher told our group, “Did you know that children today cannot read the time on a traditional watch with an analog face?” “Why not?” we asked. “Because of smartphones and the proliferation of digital clocks.” “Wow! That’s hard to believe.” Welcome to this week's episode of "On the Fly." Today, we'll compare classic mechanical watches to modern quartz watches and explore an unexpected social shift. To begin with, let me take you back a few days. I’m a traditionalist and pre

It Runs on Steam

In this episode – It Runs on Steam . . . If you’ve seen Back to The Future III, you may remember Doc Brown's line, “It Runs on Steam !” Recently, I visited my good friend Billy in Westfield, New Jersey. Among his many other hobbies, Billy is a steam engine enthusiast. He proudly fired up his miniature steam engine and confidently explained its workings, which got me thinking . . . (Sound effect of Billy's steam engine whistle) Have you ever considered how environmentally friendly a steam engine powered by renewable energy could be? There would be no need for gasoline, batteries, diesel fuel, or Uranium-234. Imagine an engine powered by water—yes, water. I can hear the naysayers: "But . . .” Welcome back to On the Fly, where we dive into one of history's most fascinating inventions. Today, we're firing up a revolution – the Industrial Revolution, that is – with the mighty steam engine! For centuries, people relied on muscle, wind, and waterpower to get things do