Skip to main content

This Years Tree

No Norelco commercials again this Christmas season! Strangely enough I miss them. Have you noticed how fast time flies as you get up in years? We’re already into November, Thanksgiving in just two days! And yes, “Christmas - is - just around the corner.” Do you have this years tree? Stop by Home Depot and see me . . .

It seems like yesterday. Santa cruising down the snow-filled slopes on his triple-head Norelco electric shaver. Before your time? No problem they’re on YouTube - of course. Now Santa is trying to sell you a luxury sports car (A red Mercedes).
As a youngster I was convinced - just around the corner - meant Main Street; Marshall’s Hardware - Santa Land. My brothers and I would take a walk to town to see all the holiday decorations and toys we wanted Santa to bring. Day-and-Palin’s was the only Christmas tree lot that I can remember in Cuba, Illinois. Waiting for Christmas seemed like an eternity. The toys have morphed somehow, instead of a Daisy BB gun, or a G.I. Joe, now it’s a new smart phone, Apple TV,  jewelry, tools, clothes, iTunes gift cards, and home repair items. Today, just around the corner reminds us; in the blink of an eye the holidays will have come and gone.

Come to think of it, how would Charles Schulz have written A Charlie Brown Christmas today?

“I suggest we try those search lights, Charlie Brown,” would have led Charlie Brown and Linus to The Home Depot tree lot with its woven wire fence, trees wrapped in netting and the sweet smell of freshly cut trunks as trees are trimmed for customers. Oh, by the way, this year stop by the Home Depot tree lot at Sycamore and Melrose to say hello and pick up your tree, I’ll be there.

I haven’t seen a “Great big shiny aluminum Christmas tree” - in years. Have you?

It’s hard to believe A Charlie Brown Christmas first aired - December 1965, last nights show on CBS marked its 50th anniversary! Admittedly, it’s still one of my favorite holiday programs. I make it a point to watch it every year. Indeed, today, Linus would have launched the Home Depot app on his smartphone to check price and availability before leaving the auditorium. And, walk to the tree lot - are you kidding - he would have texted his mother to bring the SUV; even though the nearest home center is less than three blocks from most peoples house. 

Things have changed a lot over the years but the commercialism that Schultz and others portrayed still exists today more than ever. Now the statement, “Christmas is just around the corner.” is accompanied with “Have you finished your Christmas shopping?” – No, have you?

Yes, Christmas - is - just around the corner; if you still think it’s about shopping till you’re broke, think again. Please take a moment this holiday season and listen to Linus as he recites from the Gospel of Luke, Chapter 2 Verses 8 through 14 from the Authorized King James Version:

"Lights please."

"And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid. And the angel said unto them, Fear not; for, behold, I bring you tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, which is Christ the Lord. And this shall be a sign unto you: Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger. And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying, Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace and goodwill towards men.”

 . . . “That’s what Christmas is all about Charlie Brown.”

It is just around the corner, where you can pick up this years tree.

Merry Christmas!

Comments

Most Popular of All Time

Back to School (Without the Triple Lindy)

I hadn’t set foot inside a public library in over thirty years. Last Saturday, when I walked through the sliding doors of the modern County of San Diego branch on Eucalyptus Avenue in Vista, my eyes instinctively scanned the floor for the familiar, comforting sight of varnished oak cabinets and brass pull-handles. Nothing . No card catalog. No little wooden drawers. No rows of index cards typed by someone who presumably had beautiful penmanship and a pension. I walked up to the front desk, looked the librarian dead in the eye, and asked with complete earnestness: "Where’s the card catalog?" She didn’t laugh, though she had every right to. Instead, she offered a warm, dry smile: "We magically had the computer digest it." And just like that, I was enrolled. Not the Rodney Dangerfield kind of back-to-school. No diving board, no loud blazer, no campus party, and thankfully, no need to convince anyone I belonged there. Just an overdue reminder that while I was busy with ...

Beyond Facts-The Deep Dive

✨ In this episode, Beyond Facts: Reimagining School–in the Age of AI . . .   This week's podcast is a bit different; it's another example of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can offer tools to creatively enhance your analytical presentation of information. We took this week's blog and copied it into Gemini with the question, “If a story is to work, it must, on some level, create an illusion of escape and also achieve a goal simultaneously. Does this apply to my blog post that follows?” What's created is not just an analysis of the writing, but an AI-generated discussion produced “On the Fly” - Enjoy! Did you know that the word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word scholē , which originally meant "leisure"? Not a rigid schedule or droning lectures filled with "facts," but free time for thinking and conversation. To the Greeks, learning happened best when life slowed down—when you had room to reflect, to ask questions, and to wrestle ...

Doc Welch - The Country Doctor

In this episode, Doc Welch . . . Many authors have characterized life in rural Illinois over the years. Among the more notables are Edgar Lee Masters, who wrote Spoon River Anthology, Carl Sandburg for his poetry and biography of Abraham Lincoln, and little known to me until recently, my first doctor, whom everyone in town always called Doc Welch - James K. Welch, M.D.  (Feb. 7, 1915, to May 5, 1998) While exploring the microfilm of the Cuba Journal (published from 1884 to 1992), I consistently kept running across articles entitled The Country Doctor. This intrigued me. Doc Welch was a third-generation practicing Country Doctor in Cuba for over 40 years. His father, James William Welch, M.D., practiced medicine in Cuba for more than five decades. His grandfather, James Knox Welch, M.D., settled in Cuba after the Civil War. Cuba, Illinois, is a small, rural farming community in west-central Illinois, where I grew up. Like many small towns, it boasts a central square with a ban...

The Rhythm of the Woodpecker

The morning in Vista often begins under a heavy, gray marine layer that rolls in from the coast, pressing a damp, muffled stillness over the neighborhood. At 4:30 a.m., the driveways are still full. The local commuters are either blissfully unconscious or stumbling blindly toward their showers, clinging desperately to their last shred of peace before the nine-to-five grind claims them for the day. I, on the other hand, am voluntarily wide awake in the dark. When your agenda consists of absolutely nothing, it is critical to get an early start. Inside the house, the quiet is profound, broken only by the sharp, mechanical click of the kettle as it reaches a rolling boil. I stand at the counter, watching the dark ground coffee bloom as hot water hits the French press's stainless steel. The smell is sudden and heavy—a deep, roasted-earth aroma that cuts through the morning fog. I push against the plunger’s gritty resistance, pouring a cup that radiates dark, stinging heat against my pal...