Skip to main content

What the Cat Heard?

“Para bailar La Bamba -  Para bailar La Bamba . . .”

Podcast - What the Cat Heard . . . 

If you’re reading this post you may recognize the lyrics to the adaptation of the Mexican folk song, La Bamba, released October 18, 1958, by Richie Valens. I’m certain, listening to this tune played on the guitar you would quickly find yourself tapping your toe to the beat. And doing your best to sing along.


Me, I’m still wondering what the cat heard?


Cat lovers out there maybe you can provide some insight. 


While playing the introduction to La Bamba, my cat (Junior), jumps to my shoulders, needles a little, settles in, and meows in my ear. I suppose if he could talk he would say: “Dude, how many times do you have to repeat the same segment to get it right?”

No doubt, his comments might be a lot more entertaining than listening to me attempt this catchy tune on my guitar.

Allow met to set the stage. Every morning I strap on my guitar, check the tuning, and begin to practice. For flexibility, first its a series of warmup finger exercises: gliding across frets through all six strings, up and down the neck. Then the pentatonic scales, major and minor chords (E-F-C-Am-D). Next sliding up and down the neck attempting to repeat the chords with barre chords. Now granted, I’m not as efficient with barre chords yet but with the light touch of the Tele, I’m making excellent progress.


Well, about the time I break off to play the intro to this song Jr. decides he’s not getting enough attention and jumps to my shoulders. He shifts positions a couple of times then settles with his head against my right ear and wants to be petted.


“Ok, ok, I’ll scratch behind your ear, just sit still please.” 


All the while his tail whipping back and forth slapping me up-side the head as if in rhythm to what I’m playing.


This goes on until I shift positions to flip the page on the music stand. Then Jr. jumps down, sits on my keyboard, and proceeds to stare directly at me as if to say, “Have you settled down yet?”


I relent, tip my shoulder a little and he immediately resumes his position on my shoulders, purring in my right ear.


Now for those of you learning guitar, I really do not recommend the technique of having a 15-pound cat on your shoulders as you practice.


Granted, over the past three years, Jr. has heard me butcher many tunes I’ve attempted to play.


So, I guess I’m still wondering, “What the cat heard?” 


This is Patrick Ball, thanks for listening, see you in the next episode.    

Comments

Most Popular of All Time

The Who Was - Series

In this episode, the Who Was? - Series . . . With over 250 titles, Penguin Random House Books Who Was?  - Series tells the incredible stories of trailblazers, legends, innovators, and creators. Are you a bibliophile, an individual who loves and frequently reads books (a bookworm)? What is it that compels you to pick up a book? Is it the cover, is it the title, how about an interest in a specialized subject, or just - perhaps it's a whim? One of my ultimate goals with these podcasts is to reach a young audience. I've found that reading children's books is a gratifying and educational experience. Yes, even grown-ups can understand difficult concepts. To my surprise, both children and adults seem to appreciate the experience. With education such a hot topic in the news right now, we need to be reminded that whether it's going to school, visiting a museum, or online learning, the goal of education (both young and old) is to nurture an interest in learning. William Butler Ye

Big Apple, Big Charge

In this episode –  Big Apple, Big Charge  . . . Welcome back to On the Fly, your weekly dose of quirky observations and unexpected trends. Today, we're fresh off a trip to the Scaffolding/Plywood jungle, where we witnessed a phenomenon that will make you rethink your relationship with the humble wall socket. That's right, we're talking about New York City, and it's . . . wait for ­­it — Free, ubiquitous electric outlets! New York constantly buzzes with traffic, jackhammers, honking horns, and helicopters. But what struck me most was the sheer volume of people glued to their devices while commuting and navigating the streets with hundreds of construction obstacles. It's like everyone's “plugged into” some invisible grid—phones, tablets, watches, headphones, earbuds, e-bikes—you name it. And that's where things get interesting. But, unlike our quiet suburban life, free outlets in NYC aren't exactly abundant. So, how do these New Yorkers keep their gadgets

At 91 – Happy Birthday

Doctor Don, at ninety-one, a mind so bright . . .  With a keyboard at hand, you chase away the night. Your stories, like rivers, through books and blogs – they flow. Keep a youthful spirit – plant wisdom seeds to sow. Here's to many chapters, laughter and good cheer. Here's to Dr. Don , at ninety-one a friend so dear.  May your words keep flowing year after year!

It Runs on Steam

In this episode – It Runs on Steam . . . If you’ve seen Back to The Future III, you may remember Doc Brown's line, “It Runs on Steam !” Recently, I visited my good friend Billy in Westfield, New Jersey. Among his many other hobbies, Billy is a steam engine enthusiast. He proudly fired up his miniature steam engine and confidently explained its workings, which got me thinking . . . (Sound effect of Billy's steam engine whistle) Have you ever considered how environmentally friendly a steam engine powered by renewable energy could be? There would be no need for gasoline, batteries, diesel fuel, or Uranium-234. Imagine an engine powered by water—yes, water. I can hear the naysayers: "But . . .” Welcome back to On the Fly, where we dive into one of history's most fascinating inventions. Today, we're firing up a revolution – the Industrial Revolution, that is – with the mighty steam engine! For centuries, people relied on muscle, wind, and waterpower to get things do